HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 7:44 PM
BANNED

Highway 212 A73 And Maine

Clearly Montreal, Sherbrooke, and Quebec City need to get there act together if they actually want to move people and goods around the province and into the province when one of their biggest trading partners (Maine) is almost impossible to access. Commerce, tourism, safety need to be discussed with Coburn Gore Maine. And the Canadian government needs to step up as well. Why Quebec has never really discussed this is shocking actually:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20141...ng-to-a-future

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 1:26 PM
BANNED

I'm really surprised that no one is discussing this, the amount of traffic between Sherbrooke and Montreal is very significant and connecting it to Maine would be a economic game changer for Quebec

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 2:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

It's a question of competing priorities.

There are many two-lane highways in Quebec where AADTs are high enough to justify twinning but that aren't even in construction yet.

Quebec is spending hundreds of millions on twinning the final stretches of A-85 (TCH) in the east over the next couple of years, for example.

The A-35 is being completed as well south of St-Jean to make a more direct freeway route from Montreal to Boston.

The A-50 near Mirabel and the A-55 south of Trois-Rivières also need full twinning work.

This project to Maine is not high on the priority list. Though the A-73 is being twinned and extended in the Beauce I think.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 1:54 AM
digital b0y

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Conductor View Post
Clearly Montreal, Sherbrooke, and Quebec City need to get there act together if they actually want to move people and goods around the province and into the province when one of their biggest trading partners (Maine) is almost impossible to access. Commerce, tourism, safety need to be discussed with Coburn Gore Maine. And the Canadian government needs to step up as well. Why Quebec has never really discussed this is shocking actually:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20141...ng-to-a-future
I knew the US was by far our main business Partner, however I was unaware that the state of maine was one of our biggest Partner. Do you have some stats showing this fact ? I will look it up as i am curious to find out who are our biggest partners among all the us states.

a political policy characterized by inertia and antipathy to change

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 3:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitboy View Post
I knew the US was by far our main business Partner, however I was unaware that the state of maine was one of our biggest Partner. Do you have some stats showing this fact ? I will look it up as i am curious to find out who are our biggest partners among all the us states.
I have some great numbers in the office somewhere that interesting facts between Maine and Quebec when it comes to tractor trailer traffic, tourism, and trade. The A73 is now twinned to about 40 km from the border south of the Beauce - they really need to finish that.

Connecting Montreal through Sherbrooke on the A-10 to Maine via the 212 is a no-brainer; it should have been done decades ago because it would also be an entry/exit point for Quebec City as well

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 10:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's a question of competing priorities.

There are many two-lane highways in Quebec where AADTs are high enough to justify twinning but that aren't even in construction yet.

Quebec is spending hundreds of millions on twinning the final stretches of A-85 (TCH) in the east over the next couple of years, for example.

The A-35 is being completed as well south of St-Jean to make a more direct freeway route from Montreal to Boston.

The A-50 near Mirabel and the A-55 south of Trois-Rivières also need full twinning work.

This project to Maine is not high on the priority list. Though the A-73 is being twinned and extended in the Beauce I think.
I agree with this

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Conductor View Post
I have some great numbers in the office somewhere that interesting facts between Maine and Quebec when it comes to tractor trailer traffic, tourism, and trade. The A73 is now twinned to about 40 km from the border south of the Beauce - they really need to finish that.

Connecting Montreal through Sherbrooke on the A-10 to Maine via the 212 is a no-brainer; it should have been done decades ago because it would also be an entry/exit point for Quebec City as well
I agree with you. I live in the Sherbrooke area, and I always wondered why we don't build a twinned highway from Sherbrooke to Maine. Like they did between Magog and Newport, VT. (A55).

The 212 road seems to be the logical choice. Is there a twinned highway on the Maine side that gets us fast to Portland, or it's a highway to nothing? That I'm curious to know.

Nice thread.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 10:23 PM

there is nothing. I've done the drive before- its actually the fastest way to Saint John from Toronto if you don't mind the back roads and the border crossing. Saves about an hour over staying in Canada.

There has been talk on and off for 40 years in Maine about building an "east-west" freeway from the 212 border crossing to I-95 in near Bangor, then from Bangor to St Stephens in New Brunswick, but nothing has ever come from it. The last time it came up, a private company proposed to build it as a toll road and it proved very unpopular in Maine politics.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec