HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 10:29 PM
Closed account

http://www.sanantonio.gov/historic/docs/HDRC_AGENDA.pdf

Look at pages 217 to the end. It's the art for the bridges and the underpasses of the museum reach and the medal of honor memorial on auditorium circle.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2008, 1:24 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

from: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...rand_mess.html

GRAND HYATT IS A GRAND MESS

FaulknerUSA, the company the city hired to build the Grand Hyatt hotel and condominiums at the convention center, has busted its deadline to finish the job by almost seven months and is being ordered to “substantially complete” the project by mid-October.

Subcontractors and workers have filed at least 68 liens claiming the Austin company owes them almost $13 million. FaulknerUSA and its partners also face 17 lawsuits.

Frustrated by repeated delays, the city Aug. 21 told the company to finish the last floor of the 34-story hotel by the new deadline. About 60 of the 1,003 rooms still are under construction, said Tom Netting, the Grand Hyatt's managing director.

The top eight floors of condos must at least be partly built by February.

If FaulknerUSA and its partners miss the latest deadlines, the city could find itself in the condo business.

“They made it pretty clear that they've had cost overruns on this job and that obviously it made it very difficult for them to get finished,” said Michael Sawaya, the city's director of convention, sports and entertainment facilities. “I don't profess to know the details of the health of their company. Believe me, I've tried to find out a little of that, and they're pretty protective of that.”

FaulknerUSA officials didn't return calls seeking comment.

The company's growing financial troubles are the latest setbacks for the Grand Hyatt and Alteza condominiums, a project that was envisioned as a swanky mixed-use hotel that would draw affluent residents and tourists alike.

The City Council under then-Mayor Ed Garza chose FaulknerUSA in December 2004 to build the hotel after years of failed plans with other suitors, largely because it committed $77 million of its own finances to the project. The remaining $208 million was funded through bonds backed by the city.

The Grand Hyatt partly opened more than a month past its Feb. 6 deadline. Hotel officials were worried it wouldn't be ready in time for guests scheduled to stay there during the NCAA's Final Four basketball tournament April 5-7.

The city began fining FaulknerUSA $70,000 a day after it broke the deadline. Since then, the company has paid $1.6 million in fines.

The latest agreement with the city releases FaulknerUSA from penalties if it meets the new deadlines, which require the company to finish the hotel rooms, the entire exterior and some interior finishes on the condo portion.

The company doesn't have to complete all of the condos.

The delays leave potential condo residents wondering what they've gotten themselves into.

“A couple months ago, I sold my house for a nice chunk of money — less than I would have — because I thought I was going to move in this fall,” said Patti Stewart, who has signed a contract for a condo. “So I don't know what's really going to happen. I'm just kind of waiting. I haven't heard from them in a month.”

Stewart is renovating a warehouse in Alamo Heights so she has a place to live.

Buyers put 10 percent down on condos ranging in value from $300,000 to $3.3 million. So far, the hotel has pre-sold about half of the 147 planned condos.

Stewart paid a $74,000 deposit — money that's in escrow and would be returned if the condo deal collapses.

“I was probably one of the very first ones to buy,” she said. “First it was spring, then it was summer, then it was going to be September, now December. I know in my contract they have to be finished by April 2009.”

Sales representatives for Faulkner are telling potential buyers the condos will be completed by January or February.

But the unsettled liens on the property may keep FaulknerUSA from conveying clear titles for the condos. Without a title, buyers could drop out of the deals and get their money back when their contracts expire.

“The lien is filed against the property, so in order for the developer to sell one of those condos, which is part of the property, the buyer and that buyer's lender are going to require that those liens be released,” said Scott Farrimond, an attorney with Stumpf Farrimond in San Antonio.

One company with a lien is Burditt Tile & Stone of Cibolo, which claims FaulknerUSA owes it for $185,970 for tile work on hotel bathrooms.

“For a small company like us, it's a large amount,” owner Polly Burditt said. “We've been checking back down there and we haven't even been able to get hold of anyone.”

Burditt says there hasn't been much discussion about settling the liens.

“What concerns us more than anything is the nonpayment to subs and suppliers that are local and family-run companies,” said Doug McMurry, executive vice president of the San Antonio chapter of the Associated General Contractors. “The fact that they aren't getting paid is causing a significant hardship. It's just awful.”

Under the agreement with the city, if FaulknerUSA defaults, another entity would step in to finish the project. If that entity — Hotel Investments LP, composed of New York-based Marathon Real Estate and FaulknerUSA — is unable to fulfill the agreement, the city would take over.

If that were to happen, Sawaya said, the city would find another company to spearhead completion.

“I think the parties involved have been working toward a successful resolution and we're really optimistic that they get this finished — both the hotel portion and the condominium — by the end of the calendar year,” City Manager Sheryl Sculley said.

The most important element, she said, is that the hotel is operating and making its required debt-service payments on bond revenue used to help fund the hotel portion of the project. If the hotel were unable to make the debt-service payments, the city would be forced to dip into its hotel occupancy tax revenues.

In the second quarter of 2008, the Grand Hyatt had $9.5 million in revenue, for an average of just over $104 a night per room, said Bruce Walker, president of Source Strategies Inc., a local hotel consulting firm. That ranks the hotel 176th in the state of Texas.

In comparison, revenue per room during the same quarter at other downtown hotels was $203 at the Watermark Hotel and Spa; $162 at the Hotel Valencia; $150 at the Hilton Palacio del Rio; and $136 at the Marriott Rivercenter.

Netting said the Grand Hyatt's occupancy has been about 70 percent.

“We're in pretty good shape,” he said. “We're happy with the results. Most of our challenges are within the first few couple months, and it's running as a normal hotel now.”

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
A big part of SA's economy has always been tourism based. That means hotels and conventions. There's not much space left for adding convention center square footage. That parking lot could be more convention hall space that could easily be connected to the mall or convention center with sky bridges and such. That was my line of thinking.

Also, just thinking about Vegas and Atlantic City... lots of hotels clustered together with sky bridges connecting them to each other and their parking garages.
Actually the Convention Center is getting ready for a huge expansion process whick will greatly increase capacity. Market St is going to be realigned for this expansion.

Also the Gage between the hyatt and marriot is going to be replaced with a garage twice its size with a ballroom on top, and a skybridge connecting it to the Marriot.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 3:58 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLtoSA View Post
Actually the Convention Center is getting ready for a huge expansion process whick will greatly increase capacity. Market St is going to be realigned for this expansion.

Also the Gage between the hyatt and marriot is going to be replaced with a garage twice its size with a ballroom on top, and a skybridge connecting it to the Marriot.
I think most of us knew about the Market Street realignment and convention center expansion.

But what is this about a new garage/ballroom/skybridge? Do you have any links or docs? Is it a rumor? Do we have a timeframe?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 4:06 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Also, I was thinking that it would be much cooler if the convention center was built over market, creating a tunnel effect on market. You know, leave the street where it is and just put the addition on huge pillars. (What is the building in Austin that you have to drive under/through going east/west in downtown...)

logistically, that would obviously be difficult, since so much of convention stuff is based around big temporary displays and moved around with forklifts.... but it would still be cool and maybe that space wouldn't be for exhibitions but more for breakout rooms and smaller meeting space. and what's the harm in having one more large service elevator?

It would also free up the city to demolish the old SAWS building and to sell that land to a developer who would build something spectaular, with the potential for connectivity to the new, elevated portion of the convention center...

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 7:24 PM

Market Street

I'm in favor of the tunnel idea, for Market street, it could be like the way, it is at the Alamodome, and the underground bus terminal.
There is still a good piece of land between the Convention Center and the Grand Hyatt, along side the new Bowie street that takes motorist to the tower. Another Convention Center Hotel could be built there, to take our eyes off the Great Wall of SA.
Before we demolish the SAWS buildings, lets loose the Dennys, I don't see a IHOP at the front door of Dallas and Houston.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 8:09 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
I'm in favor of the tunnel idea, for Market street, it could be like the way, it is at the Alamodome, and the underground bus terminal.
There is still a good piece of land between the Convention Center and the Grand Hyatt, along side the new Bowie street that takes motorist to the tower. Another Convention Center Hotel could be built there, to take our eyes off the Great Wall of SA.
Before we demolish the SAWS buildings, lets loose the Dennys, I don't see a IHOP at the front door of Dallas and Houston.
HDRC would probably declare the Denny's historic...

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 8:50 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
HDRC would probably declare the Denny's historic...
Haha, that happened in Seattle. Admittedly, it was not your standard Denny's, but still.

Anyway, speaking of Seattle, they could always make the convention center its own self-contained streetscape:

(img by henry-gail on flickr)

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
Apparently the convention center Denny's thing isn't isolated to just SA. Kansas City has a Denny's close to its convention center. The difference is, tho, KC's Denny's isn't visible from the freeway, and isnt right next to a Macy's and three high-rise hotels, so its pretty invisible.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 2:36 PM

I can't give out exact dates of a time line.

But I can give you a sequence of events.

First the SAWS Building will be demolished and paved for parking while the Garage is demolished and constructed. Simultaneously the Lila Cockrell will be renovated.

When the parking garage is completed, the Market St realignment will go through the Parking lot and footprint of the old SAWS building.

When the street has been moved, they will begin construction on the convention center. The renovations and expansion of the older section of the convention center may start sooner.

It will six years (hopefully) from the start of demolision of the SAWS building to the completion of the convention center.

About the paking garage and ballroom, there isn't a whole lot of information, but it is being pushed through by the city and marriott.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 2:47 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLtoSA View Post
I can't give out exact dates of a time line.

But I can give you a sequence of events.

First the SAWS Building will be demolished and paved for parking while the Garage is demolished and constructed. Simultaneously the Lila Cockrell will be renovated.

When the parking garage is completed, the Market St realignment will go through the Parking lot and footprint of the old SAWS building.

When the street has been moved, they will begin construction on the convention center. The renovations and expansion of the older section of the convention center may start sooner.

It will six years (hopefully) from the start of demolision of the SAWS building to the completion of the convention center.

About the paking garage and ballroom, there isn't a whole lot of information, but it is being pushed through by the city and marriott.
good answer.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 3:42 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Apparently the convention center Denny's thing isn't isolated to just SA. Kansas City has a Denny's close to its convention center. The difference is, tho, KC's Denny's isn't visible from the freeway, and isnt right next to a Macy's and three high-rise hotels, so its pretty invisible.
I forget what all is next to Seattle's, but our upscale mall is there and we have our third largest building behind it.

Oh, right. Subway. We have a subway out front. Sigh.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 7:36 PM
James

No wonder the base of the GH is ugly on the east side. They skipped on making it nice on the knowlegde that this would cover it up.

I wonder what kind of entrance they might put by the Convention Center. I think it should become another plaza, no more surface parking!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 8:22 PM

The Lila Cockrell Theater will soon being a $24 million renovation.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...25/story2.html

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
The Lila Cockrell Theater will soon being a $24 million renovation.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...25/story2.html
We have the Lila Cockrell as part of the same Construction timeline as the other projects because stageing areas are going to be at a premium.

Don't expect any renderings for awhile it is going to be a design/build and the RFQ has not even gone out yet.

But in this projects case unlike the others...the money is actualy there for this project. It should get rolling pretty soon.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 11:01 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Maybe this will help push any redevelopment of Hemisfair Park.

They did to try and build it all together.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 1:14 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Maybe this will help push any redevelopment of Hemisfair Park.

They did to try and build it all together.
ya...although the above photos show how little usable green space there currently is in hemisfair park. even that large swath of land butting up to the convention center on the south in currently unusable as it is on a terrible slope. (it would be funny to watch people try to play soccer or throw a frisbee on it, though...)

they will need to do some really clever reorganizing to make it workable.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
ya...although the above photos show how little usable green space there currently is in hemisfair park. even that large swath of land butting up to the convention center on the south in currently unusable as it is on a terrible slope. (it would be funny to watch people try to play soccer or throw a frisbee on it, though...)

they will need to do some really clever reorganizing to make it workable.
That "large swath of green space" covers the underground loading dock turn-around for the convention center. I little fact I heared recently.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 2:39 AM

I know this is not much of a great project and wont add to DT SA but a friend said he heard that Central Catholic High School across from KSAT finally purchased some building that had a small tower across from the school and they plan to enlarge the school by building a new gym and converting the old gym into addnl classrooms. Anybody got any news about this?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2008, 2:53 AM

Taken by arellis49 @ Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio