HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Hilton Garden Inn in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 2:50 AM
-

Well, i can say that if anyone is wondering what new buildings will be torn down 20-30 years from now... heres your answer!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermetAJ View Post
The goal of all of Kaufmans monstrocities is cost savings.
This is the goal of virtually all design/build projects. I don't see what's so unique about hotels designed by Kaufman.

If you're referring to the setbacks, that's zoning code, and has nothing to do with Kaufman. Considering that 99% of these side-street hotels are being built on parking lots, parking garages, or lowrise temporary taxpayers, they almost always enhance the blocks on which they're built (at least relative to the previous lot use).

They usually aren't very attractive (and are often quite ugly) but they are hugely positive for the city. There's a massive hotel room shortage, and these new hoteliers have found a way to profitably build hotel tower slivers on extremely challenging sites. Yeah, I wish these hotels were all designed by starchitects, but good luck on that.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 6:08 AM

Where's the step-thing that will conceal some of that exposed common wall? The renderings show it about 4-5 stories tall.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
They usually aren't very attractive (and are often quite ugly) but they are hugely positive for the city.
You know else would be technically "good" for the city? Knocking down beautiful townhouses in the Greenwich Village and replacing them with more shoddy budget hotels.

Capitalizing on everything is not hugely positive for anyone (but the developers, of course). Ugly streets and ugly buildings negatively affect quality of life and I'm not sure why many people in NYC have such trouble grasping that. And there is nothing uglier than street wall killing Kaufmans and McSams. Paris and London, tourist capitals of the world, have no trouble attracting visitors without erecting these gross buildings in the center of their cities.

Last edited by 599GTO; Dec 27, 2012 at 6:56 AM.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 11:41 AM
Bionic Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
This is the goal of virtually all design/build projects. I don't see what's so unique about hotels designed by Kaufman.

If you're referring to the setbacks, that's zoning code, and has nothing to do with Kaufman. Considering that 99% of these side-street hotels are being built on parking lots, parking garages, or lowrise temporary taxpayers, they almost always enhance the blocks on which they're built (at least relative to the previous lot use).

They usually aren't very attractive (and are often quite ugly) but they are hugely positive for the city. There's a massive hotel room shortage, and these new hoteliers have found a way to profitably build hotel tower slivers on extremely challenging sites. Yeah, I wish these hotels were all designed by starchitects, but good luck on that.
this makes sense to me, thanks for the explanation.

they do add some space also.......maybe it will look something like this...
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 1:45 AM
Bionic Boogie

imagine looking out one of those hotel windows.....to your side brick walls....

20121230_091251 (1) copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 3:31 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
These street wall set backs are absolutely horrid.
Yeah, that's pretty bad. I do wonder, though, couldn't they fill that space above the street with billboards/video screens?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 3:46 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosV View Post
imagine looking out one of those hotel windows.....to your side brick walls....

20121230_091251 (1) copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
I stayed in the Fairfield Inn and Suites last week, which was at 116 W. 28th Street. Would that hotel be considered as this type of construction? If so, I had a corner room, and it only had one window -- facing front, which was W. 28th Street, and the view provided a rather nice one of the Empire State Building.

Prior to that, my wife and I stayed at the Candlewood Suites on W. 39th Street, which was part of that 38-story hotel trio tower that also housed a Holiday Inn and Hampton Inn. I guess this seems to be the latest trend in hotel or any type of construction, given the zoning laws...

I do like the idea of a canyon wall, but I do like this zoning restriction allowing for some "open space" at the front stoop. I guess that's the idea behind the restriction. In my opinion, it essentially provides for a "grander" entrance to any new hotel or residential building.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 10:21 AM
Bionic Boogie

^^^ yours is probably the first positive review regarding this type of construction so far.....
SSP member since 2003

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 10:41 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

As of September 21, 2013...
Photo Credit: EastMillinocket @ WiredNewYork

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive