HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In Real Life View Post
I really hope this gets built.
My Favorite Part of this...

"Dream San Antonio is poised to become a new catalyst for the area and an integral part of the "new" downtown San Antonio scene. When open, the boutique hotel will be the centerpiece of a large mixed use development that includes office space and private residences, transforming a full city block into a communal gathering place for hotel guests and locals alike."

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadsalmon View Post
My Favorite Part of this...

"Dream San Antonio is poised to become a new catalyst for the area and an integral part of the "new" downtown San Antonio scene. When open, the boutique hotel will be the centerpiece of a large mixed use development that includes office space and private residences, transforming a full city block into a communal gathering place for hotel guests and locals alike."
I've been wondering if they're talking about the building being the mixed-use development, incorporating office and residential, or if there is more going on, possibly across the river in the currently empty lot next to the Hedrick Building.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 10:58 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
I've been wondering if they're talking about the building being the mixed-use development, incorporating office and residential, or if there is more going on, possibly across the river in the currently empty lot next to the Hedrick Building.
Sounds like the latter, e.g. they use the language “will be part of”
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Sounds like the latter, e.g. they use the language “will be part of”
Yes, the language used is pretty hyperbolic. The full quote is "Dream San Antonio is poised to become a new catalyst for the area and an integral part of the "new" downtown San Antonio scene. When open, the boutique hotel will be the centerpiece of a large mixed use development that includes office space and private residences, transforming a full city block into a communal gathering place for hotel guests and locals alike." I still think it's ambiguous. It could be argued that the building shown takes up a full city block.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 11:08 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I think that may imply that a second tower across the River, the rest of the block if you don’t count the river, will be office and residential.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 11:09 PM

Does the VMU building behind the hotel across convent already exist? Perhaps that is the residential component?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 11:18 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Does the VMU building behind the hotel across convent already exist? Perhaps that is the residential component?
Yes, that four story building already exists.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Yes, that four story building already exists.
Kk.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Actually, the location is the rendering is the Korova site on Martin St.

https://goo.gl/maps/EEXFyYaqfbXcXRpX6
So why does the inset on the webpage provided by SadSalmon show it at S. Main and Dolorosa across from Main Plaza?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
So why does the inset on the webpage provided by SadSalmon show it at S. Main and Dolorosa across from Main Plaza?
I have no clue. But the rendering depicts the Korova site.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 12:03 AM

Quote:
I have no clue. But the rendering depicts the Korova site.
Yeah, the parking garage looks familiar, as does the design in the rendering. Regardless, I like the look and the area.

It's supposed to have street level retail, so, not all bad Jack.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 12:14 AM

This is really cool. Just the type of thing I want to see more of! Gotta love glass!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Maybe they just entered San Antonio as the coordinate for that map site and it zeroed in on Main Plaza, the "center" of town.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Maybe they just entered San Antonio as the coordinate for that map site and it zeroed in on Main Plaza, the "center" of town.
Seems you're on to something:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/29...241!4d-98.4936

I like the design at either location.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 12:25 AM

As if this is separate from the overall mixed use development that includes office and residential. Going by the design, I’d say it’s separate just from the mere fact there are no balconies. I’d have to assume any residential unit in the building would feature balconies.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime View Post
This is really cool. Just the type of thing I want to see more of! Gotta love glass!
On this, at least, we agree. Seems to have something for everyone on this site, especially of it were to get to 600' or so.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 2:41 AM
Paradise

I read it as it was a part of a larger development so maybe another building or 2 with residences and offices.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 3:28 AM

These announcements are made to maximize hype around their development. If this hotel was part of a multi-tower project I think they would make that clear. As it is, it seems like they're trying to make this single tower sound as impressive as possible. I'm also not impressed with the very poor proofreading of the announcement which repeats a whole paragraph and shows that the author doesn't know the difference between it's and its. I would love to be wrong about this and learn they're building a residential/office high-rise as well as a hotel but until I see something substantial I won't assume a best-case scenario.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 3:34 AM

Quote:
These announcements are made to maximize hype around their development. If this hotel was part of a multi-tower project I think they would make that clear. As it is, it seems like they're trying to make this single tower sound as impressive as possible. I'm also not impressed with the very poor proofreading of the announcement which repeats a whole paragraph and shows that the author doesn't know the difference between it's and its. I would love to be wrong about this and learn they're building a residential/office high-rise as well as a hotel but until I see something substantial I won't assume a best-case scenario.
The site linked doesn’t belong to the developer or even the hotel brand. It’s a development news website just reporting about this development. There is no announcement trying to garner attention or build hype. Using that news article’s grammatical errors to validate the actual development is a mistake imo.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 3:41 AM

Quote:
The site linked doesn’t belong to the developer or even the hotel brand. It’s a development news website just reporting about this development. There is no announcement trying to garner attention or build hype. Using that news article’s grammatical errors to validate the actual development is a mistake imo.
I was just trying to raise points that cause me to question the credibility of the content of the announcement. Your point reinforces my belief.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio