HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2007, 10:07 PM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is online now
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,687
San Antonio MSA to become San Antonio-New Braunfels MSA

According to another forum the Census will officially change the name of the San Antonio Metropolitan Statistical Area to the San Antonio-New Braunfels MSA starting next year.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 11:27 PM
verbl's Avatar
verbl verbl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fort Wayne,IN/San Antonio,TX
Posts: 279
Seems like this will give our city a little more clout.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 11:38 PM
Paul in S.A TX's Avatar
Paul in S.A TX Paul in S.A TX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Far West Bexar County
Posts: 3,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbl View Post
Seems like this will give our city a little more clout.
Hehe, why is that?
__________________
2018 S. A. Pop.1.51 million
metro 2.5 million/REGION 4.7million
San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP.
U.S. Dept of Defense $48.5 billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 11:58 PM
alexjon's Avatar
alexjon alexjon is offline
Bears of antiquity
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Downtown/First Hill, Seattle, WA
Posts: 8,340
Good for NB!
__________________
"The United States is in no way founded upon the Christian religion." -- George Washington & John Adams in a diplomatic message to Malta
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 12:02 AM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is online now
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,687
I think now is the time for both cities to build a commuter line between each other. A SA-NB line that has a start/end point in downtown SA or maybe even Brooks City-Base to a start/end point in downtown New Braunfels or maybe somewhere near Schlitterbaun.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 12:09 AM
arbeiter's Avatar
arbeiter arbeiter is offline
passion for patterns
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,339
How much bigger is New Braunfels than any other city in the area? I mean it makes sense... it lends more prestige or clout as someone said only because it makes the area seem multi-modal or full of suburbs. One of the good things about San Antonio is that while it does sprawl ad infinitum, it's at least contained in corridors and is largely within the city limits. That means that the city will continue to have a good tax base and not be crippled like some of the cities out east.
__________________
you should know that I'm womanly wise
my website/blog. or, my flickr site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 12:10 AM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is online now
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,687
New Braunfels is a little over 60,000 in population and the largest suburb in the SA metropolitan region.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 12:15 AM
arbeiter's Avatar
arbeiter arbeiter is offline
passion for patterns
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,339
Yes, but how much larger is it than the 3rd largest?
would that be Schertz?
__________________
you should know that I'm womanly wise
my website/blog. or, my flickr site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 12:18 AM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is online now
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,687
In 2000 that would have been Seguin with 22,000 or so people but it grows slowly and is only at about 25,000 today. As of 2007 yes, Schertz would be number three with around 35,000 people.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 12:21 AM
Trae's Avatar
Trae Trae is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles and Houston
Posts: 4,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
According to another forum the Census will officially change the name of the San Antonio Metropolitan Statistical Area to the San Antonio-New Braunfels MSA starting next year.
What forum?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 12:22 AM
Trae's Avatar
Trae Trae is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles and Houston
Posts: 4,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I think now is the time for both cities to build a commuter line between each other. A SA-NB line that has a start/end point in downtown SA or maybe even Brooks City-Base to a start/end point in downtown New Braunfels or maybe somewhere near Schlitterbaun.
Where would you put it? Is there any room along the route you are proposing?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 12:24 AM
arbeiter's Avatar
arbeiter arbeiter is offline
passion for patterns
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Where would you put it? Is there any room along the route you are proposing?
Well, the Austin-SA commuter rail proposal has a stop in New Braunfels anyway, so i think this would largely be solved by that. I think it would just go along the Union Pacific lines that are already there. Hell, if Amtrak had any gusto, they could put a few extra trains through there a day, with nonstops, and have a commuter line in a matter of months!
__________________
you should know that I'm womanly wise
my website/blog. or, my flickr site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 12:25 AM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is online now
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,687
I'm not sure. I know there are current heavy rail lines that would be perfect for such a commuter line.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 12:30 AM
verbl's Avatar
verbl verbl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fort Wayne,IN/San Antonio,TX
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
How much bigger is New Braunfels than any other city in the area? I mean it makes sense... it lends more prestige or clout as someone said only because it makes the area seem multi-modal or full of suburbs. One of the good things about San Antonio is that while it does sprawl ad infinitum, it's at least contained in corridors and is largely within the city limits. That means that the city will continue to have a good tax base and not be crippled like some of the cities out east.
my thoughts exactly
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 12:32 AM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is online now
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
Well, the Austin-SA commuter rail proposal has a stop in New Braunfels anyway, so i think this would largely be solved by that. I think it would just go along the Union Pacific lines that are already there. Hell, if Amtrak had any gusto, they could put a few extra trains through there a day, with nonstops, and have a commuter line in a matter of months!
Yeah, well I think a SA-NB line is more realistic at the moment and would get built a lot sooner.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 12:34 AM
Trae's Avatar
Trae Trae is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles and Houston
Posts: 4,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
Well, the Austin-SA commuter rail proposal has a stop in New Braunfels anyway, so i think this would largely be solved by that. I think it would just go along the Union Pacific lines that are already there. Hell, if Amtrak had any gusto, they could put a few extra trains through there a day, with nonstops, and have a commuter line in a matter of months!
How would it get to Schlitterbahn?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 12:38 AM
verbl's Avatar
verbl verbl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fort Wayne,IN/San Antonio,TX
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
How would it get to Schlitterbahn?
Put it on the master blaster
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 12:49 AM
arbeiter's Avatar
arbeiter arbeiter is offline
passion for patterns
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
How would it get to Schlitterbahn?
Well, that's a fleeting fancy that kingwilliam would like, not me. There's nobody in heck who would finance a spur to Schlitterbahn... that weird trolley thing that is meant to look like a train but is actually a tractor will do ;0
__________________
you should know that I'm womanly wise
my website/blog. or, my flickr site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 12:57 AM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is online now
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,687
I said near Schillterbaun because it's also near downtown New Braunfels.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 1:23 AM
ydoc14's Avatar
ydoc14 ydoc14 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 1,123
Good news. Now it's on par with "Austin-Round Rock."
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:35 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.