HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 11:00 AM

Your rep is well deserved, Bna. You have been working at it quite hard for a couple of years now.

I would like to know who these outragious boosters are that are doing all of this population bragging? Who? Where are they? Because one kid starts a thread about it, a lot of you guys just love to paint all of us with this broad brush. It sucks, it's tired, and a lot of us are so fed up with being "preached to" by supposedly superior Northeasterners and Midwesterners that you can and should expect to be challenged every time you go there.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 11:55 AM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Your rep is well deserved, Bna. You have been working at it quite hard for a couple of years now.

I would like to know who these outragious boosters are that are doing all of this population bragging? Who? Where are they? Because one kid starts a thread about it, a lot of you guys just love to paint all of us with this broad brush. It sucks, it's tired, and a lot of us are so fed up with being "preached to" by supposedly superior Northeasterners and Midwesterners that you can and should expect to be challenged every time you go there.

What do mean supposedly?

Will you please excuse me...while I go do my Superior Dance....

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 12:01 PM

Alright, Church Lady! Work it!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Chicago(city) is still losing population but the metro added some 400,000! That means all the growth is suburban. Yikes! Luckily many neighborhoods and downtown have remained urban and are getting more so and many new neighborhoods have reurbanized too.

...but that touches on another significant aspect... city limits and annexation. Many southern cities (and some Midwestern and many Western ) are able to expand their limits and have a tax base covering a few hundred square miles... even if many parts of the city are suburban in nature, it's all part of the city's tax base.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 4:24 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
...but that touches on another significant aspect... city limits and annexation. Many southern cities (and some Midwestern and many Western ) are able to expand their limits and have a tax base covering a few hundred square miles... even if many parts of the city are suburban in nature, it's all part of the city's tax base.
Although it doesn't really apply to the city of Atlanta...I don't know of any unincorporated areas that are connected to the city, and if there is an area like this it's not urban and/or populated enough. Atlanta is surrounded by smaller municipalities that have been around just as long or longer, and some that have just recently incorporated.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 6:36 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post

Let's try to work this out here, and mods no need to worry, this should be peaceful.

You see, from my perspective it is you who has been working at this quite hard for a couple of years now. I don't know why, and since you haven't given me a reason the only thing I have been able to conclude is that you don't like it when someone questions the direction Atlanta is going in, so you tell yourselves that i'm just "jealous" or that I "hate" it, so you won't have to actually address the argument itself (and you never do). I very well may be wrong about that assumption, but it's the only conclusion that made sense to me, unless it is just all a big misunderstanding.

You say I should expect to be "challenged". You don't understand. I WANT my arguments in the Atlanta threads I participate in to be challenged! Sometimes I practically beg for them to be refuted and debated! Perhaps my approach is off sometimes, but I don't participate in them to "preach", I participate in them to play the devil's advocate and get some discussion going. So you see, I want to be challenged, but instead all I usually get are the typical bunch marching in to debate my supposed 'motives' and not my argument itself.

I cannot even count the seemingly limitless occasions on threads where I have sang the praises of the fabulous, glittering nighttime Atlanta skyline, or gave lengthy explanations as to why I loved MARTA, or the weather, or Piedmont Park, or the great tree cover, or the great inner-city Atlanta neighborhoods, or the great memories I have of Atlanta from my extensive time there during my childhood. Somehow though that all seems to get ignored.

I'm not a "superior northeasterner" either (although I don't really know why one's location matters). I'm a southerner from a city, Nashville, that if anything looks up to Atlanta. I'm someone who, although Atlanta is not completely my cup of tea now, has nothing but fond memories of it. But even with all that said, regardless of who's fault it is, somehow i've developed the reputation that I "hate" Atlanta, just because I suggest that uber growth isn't a good thing or what have you. So with that said i'm here to tell you, hopefully for the last time, that you can rest easy because I do not hate Atlanta at all.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 4:07 PM

You're coming across as very genuine and sincere.......I'll take you at your word.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 4:21 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNation View Post
I don't hate Atlanta. It's hard to hate a place you've never visited. What brings out my wrath...is the boosters... I don't understand why the continually equate census figures and rankings to equal a city's importance. Also, it boggles my mind that they have no concern about problems that can arise with super heated growth in a short time.
I'm curious...why would someone being a booster for their particular hometown "bring out your wrath?" Why do you care? Don't you have better things to get upset about? Boost your own home town. It's fun! It's natural for residents to be boosters for the home town. I'm an Atlanta booster. That doesn't mean I ignore Atlanta's problems, or don't see risks in its explosive growth, or equate census figures with a city's importance. Don't paint with such a broad brush, and don't make so many harsh and brash generalizations. "Brings out my wrath"...jeez louise. Maybe your "wrath" and "boggled mind" are unnecessarily overused and overwrought, respectively. p.s. I was born in Philly....great town!

Last edited by SteveD; Apr 9, 2007 at 4:26 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 5:05 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
I'm curious...why would someone being a booster for their particular hometown "bring out your wrath?" Why do you care? Don't you have better things to get upset about? Boost your own home town. It's fun! It's natural for residents to be boosters for the home town. I'm an Atlanta booster. That doesn't mean I ignore Atlanta's problems, or don't see risks in its explosive growth, or equate census figures with a city's importance. Don't paint with such a broad brush, and don't make so many harsh and brash generalizations. "Brings out my wrath"...jeez louise. Maybe your "wrath" and "boggled mind" are unnecessarily overused and overwrought, respectively. p.s. I was born in Philly....great town!
Because...some of these boosters are just obsessed with census counts...and when will their area pass the one ahead of them. I sread posts on the Texas forum speculating when Houston would pass Philadelphia in metro population. What does it matter? I truely believe these people think that it makes them more important. Plus...it assumes that Philadelphia isn't going to grow which I find arrogant. How do they know if the Census Bureau won't add new counties to Philadelphia's metro? It could possibly be that Berks County gets added on due to commuting patterns and the same for Kent County, Delaware as Slower Delaware sprawls with subdivisions housing people going to work in the Wilmington area...which is part of the Philadelphia Metro stats. That would add 500,000 people. That is what ignites my wrath when people view our region as not important anymore...based on population figures.

As for being a Philly Booster...yes I do try my best to spread the word about how great it is here...but overcoming the negatives that everyone seems to focus on about Philly makes the job much harder than Atlanta boosters face. However, I do know the reality of the state of affairs of the region and sometimes the hardest people to convince that this is one of the best places to live in the whole country are the people who already live here. I loathe the Negadelphians! I love to visit almost anyplace...even sprawlers...but I love coming home even more!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 5:45 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Because...some of these boosters are just obsessed with census counts...and when will their area pass the one ahead of them. I sread posts on the Texas forum speculating when Houston would pass Philadelphia in metro population. What does it matter? I truely believe these people think that it makes them more important. Plus...it assumes that Philadelphia isn't going to grow which I find arrogant. How do they know if the Census Bureau won't add new counties to Philadelphia's metro? It could possibly be that Berks County gets added on due to commuting patterns and the same for Kent County, Delaware as Slower Delaware sprawls with subdivisions housing people going to work in the Wilmington area...which is part of the Philadelphia Metro stats. That would add 500,000 people. That is what ignites my wrath when people view our region as not important anymore...based on population figures.

As for being a Philly Booster...yes I do try my best to spread the word about how great it is here...but overcoming the negatives that everyone seems to focus on about Philly makes the job much harder than Atlanta boosters face. However, I do know the reality of the state of affairs of the region and sometimes the hardest people to convince that this is one of the best places to live in the whole country are the people who already live here. I loathe the Negadelphians! I love to visit almost anyplace...even sprawlers...but I love coming home even more!
Thanks for your reply. I understand the points you're making. Keep in mind (I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, you've been posting far longer than I have) that there's a wide range of folks in here, with respect to things like age, level of education, maturity, etc, including some who, when what they may be feeling is pride and/or excitement, lack the skills to pen those sentiments appropriately, and instead what they write comes across as being disparaging towards other areas. It's probably not, in most cases, intentional, and among perhaps a larger group of posters in here you can rest assured about Philadelphia getting its due recognition for the prominence and importance that it holds in, and for, the country.

There are a small number of posters in here, I'm one of them, who are maybe not obsessed with, but certainly fascinated by, population stats. It's a hobby. I've closely followed population stats all my life, and it's fun and interesting to me to watch how various areas are growing. How long can NY, LA an Chicago remain 1, 2, 3? How long will it take for Florida to pass NY? Can Las Vegas sustain its absurd growth rate? What is the next state which Georgia will pass in population? When will it happen? I could go on and on.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 7:34 PM

Quote:
BTW...do you include in the great SunBelt economic policies of how states hand out corporate welfare checks to lure companies down there? You don't think the CEO's just wake up one day and declare they are moving south? I wonder who subsidizes that?

No, read my post(s) in the CE Michigan editorial thread. I am highly critical of such actions.

Last edited by austin356; Apr 9, 2007 at 7:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
And, you just can't even accept the idea that a lot of growth in the sunbelt is due to little more than trend and luck. Why don't you try and direct your attention to explaining away significant growth in high-tax, established metros and cities.

I will straight up tell you why SF, LA, NYC, and BOS consistantly have good economies.

They are the most favorable built out environments and the most favorable cultures (to young talented workers) in the nation. There is no hiding the fact that these cities are extremely favorable places to live, which subsequently keeps highly skilled labor abundant (and subsequently employers looking to exploit the labor).

I believe these cities/regions grow in spite of their policies (though in some instances b/c of, especially social/cultural issues), not because of, and I believe they could be even more favorable (economically) than they already are.

For instance, take SF's government and law and apply it to Columbus, OH........ And you dont get anything near SF in terms of wealth.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 8:17 AM
Respect My Authorit-I!

City rankings are very important if your city is near the top, whether it's the U.S. Census or Bubba's Favorite Party Towns. If Philadelphia was at the top of the census list this year, then there would be a prominent thread about it with many enthusiastic boosters praising the glories of the city. I don't see a problem with allowing forumers to have some dialogue about positive aspects of their city, including being highly ranked among other cities. It's not boasting or flaunting, although some of it can get out of hand at times. But for the most part it's reasonable discussion and sharing of civic pride, so there really isn't a need for the negativity from other cities.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
City rankings are very important if your city is near the top, whether it's the U.S. Census or Bubba's Favorite Party Towns. If Philadelphia was at the top of the census list this year, then there would be a prominent thread about it with many enthusiastic boosters praising the glories of the city. I don't see a problem with allowing forumers to have some dialogue about positive aspects of their city, including being highly ranked among other cities. It's not boasting or flaunting, although some of it can get out of hand at times. But for the most part it's reasonable discussion and sharing of civic pride, so there really isn't a need for the negativity from other cities.

Absolutely right!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 3:34 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 3:44 PM
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricky View Post
And someone else made a good point earlier. Even in Canada, population and growth (with the exception of oil rich Alberta) has been concentrated in the warmer parts of the country, near the American border.
a vast majority of canadians already live near the American border with the exceptions of the interior plain cities (of which calgary is one of the fastest growing). Also, the warmest part of canada is actually in British Columbia (Vancouver), not necessarily the southern part of it. There is nothing "warm" about Montreal even though it is extremely near the U.S.

Last edited by alex1; Apr 11, 2007 at 3:49 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 3:52 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1 View Post
a vast majority of canadians already live near the American border with the exceptions of the interior plain cities (of which calgary is one of the fastest growing). Also, the warmest part of canada is actually in British Columbia (Vancouver), not necessarily the southern part of it. There is nothing "warm" about Montreal even though it is extremely near the U.S.
comparatively speaking...

Montreal has a much more favorable climate than La Tuque, for example

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 3:54 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
comparatively speaking...

Montreal has a much more favorable climate than La Tuque, for example

yeah..I bit my tongue..I was gonna say, sure Montreal is warm, compared to the north pole!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 7:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Coming from The California Coast, I must say that to me, anywhere away from this coast is hot and very uncomfortable in the summertime, be it NYC or Atlanta or Florida or Arizona. Humidity is nasty and sticky and dry heat(which from SF requires nothing more then a 30-mile drive east) feels like your in an oven. Now Ive lived in other places with hot weather, but I couldnt help in the summertime in these other places recall how cool and beautiful the weather must be back home.

I hear ya there. Hehe. Humidty out east is nasty and sticky. And whoever says there is decent skiing within 2 hours of atlanta needs to get their head checked

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 2:53 AM

If you guys really want to compare Montreal and La Tuque, climate likely won't be the first thing to set them apart:

http://www.publisac.ca/photosquebec/...Houde0050.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States