HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 11:16 PM

Regina - Housing Discussion

Here we go!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 7:50 PM

The RPC is recommending approval of this apartment building and another behind it at the very prominent SE corner of College and Broad. I understand these will be rentals.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 9:12 PM
arf

^Just make it all brick and lose the stucco on top. Not much of a fan of the jutted out top on the corner. It's just slightly awkward, but the location is great. Better than building centrally in Greens anyway.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 12:06 AM

It will be a nice infill for that corner. I would love more of this for the downtown.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 12:08 AM

This will be great to finish off that corner and essentially complete what is Canterbury and that whole corner node there!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2022, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
The RPC is recommending approval of this apartment building and another behind it at the very prominent SE corner of College and Broad. I understand these will be rentals.

Is that stucco or is it stone like the rest of the developments in that area?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2022, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
Is that stucco or is it stone like the rest of the developments in that area?

All the Brown area is Brick with Stucco on the upper level.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 3:59 PM

Quote:

This is really great for this corner and glad that it's rental. Agreed that much more of this is needed in the core area. Also agreed that the stucco on top is not good. Makes it look like a fruit cake with a thick layer of icing!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 6:54 PM
BANNED

Continued from this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstart View Post
- you haven't asked one question. You've just repeated how the Private Sector can't build affordable housing and should have no involvement and it should all be public built and owned housing. You wonder why Saskatchewan has delivered less than 100 truly affordable units in the last calendar month? Because the Non-Profits and the Government Can't. I am not advocating to repeat what has been previously done, because the one thing we can agree on, it clearly doesn't work. We either get NO housing or POORLY Managed Housing, or limited housing to a specific demographic of the population.

Government Owned Housing? Regina Housing Authority. What's the vacancy Rate there?

I don't really think my comment was passive aggressive. It was pretty direct. An article that spelled out what the previous two Mayors had said/done from a Council Vote standpoint. Its pretty hard to hammer the current Mayor on promises of previous Mayors and Council to push forward pet projects...or push through nothing...

Housing is a Human Right. It should be provided for All. Full Stop.

Status Quo...is Non-Profits building a few units here and a few units there as the operational capacities of the specific organizations can handle it. The Feds provided RHI funding and I believe Silver Sage project which has yet to breakdown is the only Regina Project to get it.

Building Ghettos of nothing but Affordable Housing, Social Housing do nothing to help the segment of the population. If you amass it all in one place, one development you create a massive Ghetto that exacerbates the social, addiction, mental health challenges.

We need to stop sending our tax dollars overseas and focus more on our at home problems to resolve. There are Developers in Vancouver that are partnering with Non-Profit Social Housing providers to build a mixture of Market, Affordable and Social Housing while also providing the supports that are needed for addictions, mental health, PTSD, Victims of Abuse etc etc etc. That is what we should be building.

Why the Private Sector? Because even with the Private Sector making a REASONABLE profit the private sector still builds housing more cost effectively, efficiently, and quicker than public sector housing projects. Why? Because the profit is tied to it being built. Housing can have a standard of quality set that negates the ability for the private sector to cut corners, which is an unfortunate reality of some builders and developers in this sector.

Regina specifically has a proven track record that Publicly Owned Housing doesn't work with the specific example of the Regina Housing Authority and its vacancy rate and condition of the building.

Social Housing/Private Sector Mixed Housing is becoming completed around North America with far more success than a RHA model.
I was very explicit in my questions and you keep dodging them. What metrics should be used to determine success? I’ll add a few more: 4) Why can’t government provide government housing?; 5) what is the vacancy rate of Regina housing and what do you think is the reason for that?; and 6) why do you think operating and owning housing should be for-profit? (Keep in mind, I wholeheartedly agree that building public housing could be done by local private developers who successfully win the bid.

You claim you think housing is a human right, but, clearly there are enormous barriers to housing, and adding layers of the profit incentive on it is clearly the primary reason why housing is so out of reach for a growing number of Canadians. But I’d like you to try to explain how continuing to do things this way will some how suddenly have a different outcome. Human rights aren’t typically profitable because something needs to be made scarce to be profitable and what good is a human right if it’s scarce? (Capitalism is based on the whole idea of scarcity) I understand it’s hard for many people to understand this but if you just try hard and see past the idea that money can be made from anything, it shouldn’t be hard to reach the same conclusion that I and many others have come to.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 2:42 AM

I think we lack political will from council/city or province to really address housing because it's hard and it's expensive. Of course we have sprawl in Regina because it's easier to build in an open field than to build infill. We keep approving greenfield building. As much as they say they care about infill, there really doesn't look like a lot of push to do it.

Regina Housing has decrepit buildings bc it is not a priority to spend the money on fixing it. There aren't a lot of votes to be bought by fixing low income housing. How can we have so much vacant housing through Regina Housing Authority or Sask Housing and not be using it to try to get homeless people off the street?

If you want to see what the govt (at any level) thinks is important, look at the budget and see where the money is going.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 1:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
I think we lack political will from council/city or province to really address housing because it's hard and it's expensive. Of course we have sprawl in Regina because it's easier to build in an open field than to build infill. We keep approving greenfield building. As much as they say they care about infill, there really doesn't look like a lot of push to do it.

Regina Housing has decrepit buildings bc it is not a priority to spend the money on fixing it. There aren't a lot of votes to be bought by fixing low income housing. How can we have so much vacant housing through Regina Housing Authority or Sask Housing and not be using it to try to get homeless people off the street?

If you want to see what the govt (at any level) thinks is important, look at the budget and see where the money is going.
Yup. Governments don’t actually want to do anything to help ordinary people. It’s not about effective solutions. It’s about pushing a pro free market dogma because that’s what government now represents: profits, not people. It’s not that government can’t, they don’t have the will or fortitude to do it. But it doesn’t have to be that way. Which is why people like us must fight so hard to call out and attempt to change the status quo. I know we aren’t alone. It’s just very very hard to fight against well-funded and well-connected powers. It’s not impossible though.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 4:40 PM

Well…

Daniel Leblanc filed a lawsuit against the new City Manager on behalf of another Councillor (Andrew Stevens) and Florence Stratton as it relates to direction solves homelessness and a line item in the city budget.

Curious move.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Well…

Daniel Leblanc filed a lawsuit against the new City Manager on behalf of another Councillor (Andrew Stevens) and Florence Stratton as it relates to direction solves homelessness and a line item in the city budget.

Curious move.
Wut??

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Wut??
Leblanc screenshot a the cover page of a lawsuit he filed against the new City Manager personally to compel her to increase the Mill Rate on property taxes to fund 122 Million towards ending homelessness.

He is the lawyer and Councillor Steven’s and Stratton are named as the Plantiffs with the City Manager as a personal defendant.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Leblanc screenshot a the cover page of a lawsuit he filed against the new City Manager personally to compel her to increase the Mill Rate on property taxes to fund 122 Million towards ending homelessness.

He is the lawyer and Councillor Steven’s and Stratton are named as the Plantiffs with the City Manager as a personal defendant.
That is bonkers

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 5:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That is bonkers
Why is bonkers? The city has a stated mandate to end homelessness, yet it is not included in the budget but some how we are able to find money for the police and a multitude of new entertainment facilities, among them, pickle courts. Btw, I plan to speak at the council debate against the increase in the police budget, while pushing for more funding for housing.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Why is bonkers? The city has a stated mandate to end homelessness, yet it is not included in the budget but some how we are able to find money for the police and a multitude of new entertainment facilities, among them, pickle courts. Btw, I plan to speak at the council debate against the increase in the police budget, while pushing for more funding for housing.
A councilor suing the City Manager? That is insane. This is a political issue to be dealt with in Council, not the Courts. He is going to get tossed out on his ear.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 7:38 PM

Quote:
A councilor suing the City Manager? That is insane. This is a political issue to be dealt with in Council, not the Courts. He is going to get tossed out on his ear.
A City Councilor FILING the lawsuit, on behalf of another City Councilor is purely insanity against a newly hired City Manager, its not even naming the City of Regina.

Its an embarrassment to the City.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 9:01 PM

It should be noted that he's not suing to add funding, he's looking for a court order for the funding to be added to the proposed budget (which council has voted for, and the manager refuses to include). It's very likely that funding will be rejected in the end. This isn't about getting the funding approved via court, it seems it's about council voting to add the funding to proposed allocation, and then the city manager refusing to follow that.

I'm not sure on the normal course of this sort of thing (can council fire the manager, or is that a mayoral decision, etc?)

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
It should be noted that he's not suing to add funding, he's looking for a court order for the funding to be added to the proposed budget (which council has voted for, and the manager refuses to include). It's very likely that funding will be rejected in the end. This isn't about getting the funding approved via court, it seems it's about council voting to add the funding to proposed allocation, and then the city manager refusing to follow that.

I'm not sure on the normal course of this sort of thing (can council fire the manager, or is that a mayoral decision, etc?)
When was the last time a Resident and a Councillor sued the City because they didn't like what was being done.

A motion should be put forth and voted on by Council, not wasting taxpayer dollars suing the City Manager to get a Court Order to compel them to do something. The Mayor is one vote. The City Manager serves at the pleasure of Mayor and Council.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan