HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 7:12 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Hope the stock markets and world economies don't derail Cira 2.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Hope the stock markets and world economies don't derail Cira 2.
Yeah, if things get bad and projects aren't far enough along, we'll be filing a lot of these threads under "what could have been."

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 5:44 AM

Eigenwelt Photoshop with Schuylkill Yards:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwelt View Post

Schuylkill Yards with Cira 2 photoshopped in. I used a photo of the actual architectural model so the massing and height should be pretty accurate. I am also working on a wider version of this image that would include other proposals for the area.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 4:08 PM

Great job. Could you do it with other proposed sites in the camera shot?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 1:01 PM

Article and renderings from the 30th Street District plan released today by Philly.com... there is a nice ~700 foot tower sitting on the Cira II plot, and it is mentioned at the end of the article:

Quote:
Another tower is planned on an Amtrak-owned parcel behind 30th Street Station, where Brandywine once discussed building an office project called Cira Two.

The former Cira Two parcel now sits at the intersection of the two large redevelopment proposals, Cutler said.

"The market will ultimately dictate what goes there, but we think it's a very valuable development site," she said. "It really is the linchpin of the entire district."
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...l.html?photo_1

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 2:34 PM

holy balls, I love the Hancock-esque design of the 1,000 footer next to Cira1. Can't tell if it's all straight angles or if it slightly curves up to the top, but if it's a curve then it would likely become my favorite building in the city. Either way it looks great.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R5Ryder View Post
holy balls, I love the Hancock-esque design of the 1,000 footer next to Cira1. Can't tell if it's all straight angles or if it slightly curves up to the top, but if it's a curve then it would likely become my favorite building in the city. Either way it looks great.
Yeah that thing is sexy. We can only cross our fingers now...

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 3:35 PM

It's hard to separate what's reality from pipe dream; imminent from I'll be dead but you've got to start somewhere and I love the ambition.

The new Cira II rendering is awesome! Looks more than 700 feet. Looks at least 900 feet.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
The new Cira II rendering is awesome! Looks more than 700 feet. Looks at least 900 feet.
I think you're including the top of a "ghost" tower (which is how this rendering depicts potential Schuylkill Yards towers) behind it. The tower in the Cira II location appears to be slightly shorter than the FMC tower.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 4:06 PM

I'm going to delete this thread and create a new overall 30th Street District thread to cover all of the development for now, since it is still in early states, and Cira II seems to be lumped in with the overall plan now.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 1:13 AM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
I think you're including the top of a "ghost" tower (which is how this rendering depicts potential Schuylkill Yards towers) behind it. The tower in the Cira II location appears to be slightly shorter than the FMC tower.
Cira II is shown as ~700', the Drexel tower at 32nd and Market ~1,000', and the NEC tower ~1,200'.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 2:08 AM

so which one is Cira II? And which one is that really tall one on the right that we've never seen before? I want one of those please!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 2:23 AM

Quote:
so which one is Cira II? And which one is that really tall one on the right that we've never seen before? I want one of those please!
I'll have what he's having.

Cira II is the tower immediately behind 30th Street Station, on the right side. It's a rectangular building in this rendering. Behind it is a taller, narrower tower that is part of Drexel's proposed Schuylkill Yards development.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 2:36 AM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
The tall tower on the right sits directly above the Northeast Corridor, just north of what today is that big surface parking lot north of the station. It occupies an area where the tracks are still straight coming out of the station, so the structure comes down between the tracks in a zone roughly the width of the platforms.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 3:16 AM

i prefer the Cesar Pelli version of Cira II. It's all a missed opportunity to me. The concept of several crystal shaped buildings rising out of the surrounding neo-classical structures was potentially iconic. I know people are sick of the constant walls of glass being built...but the Pelli concept to me only transcended that monotony as a complete concept. I love FMC and Cira....but Cira II completed the vision

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 11:55 AM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Rai View Post
i prefer the Cesar Pelli version of Cira II. It's all a missed opportunity to me. The concept of several crystal shaped buildings rising out of the surrounding neo-classical structures was potentially iconic. I know people are sick of the constant walls of glass being built...but the Pelli concept to me only transcended that monotony as a complete concept. I love FMC and Cira....but Cira II completed the vision
And it still may. This plan shows a concept for the overall district, but nothing has been set in stone for that site.

The only thing that has changed since the original vision, however, is that Drexel is now planning that large office tower immediately to the west of this site. As currently shown in their plans, the tower would go all the way to the lot line of Cira II, making the Pelli scheme impossible.
http://www.schuylkillyards.com/

Of course, they could always work on planning the buildings together!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 12:58 PM

I gotta say, I really love what Brandywine Realty has become and what they're doing. If anything, Schuylkill Yards and now this shows they really are one of the most ambitious developers in the country. It's great that they're headquartered here too This is huge news, and I look forward to watching this the area around 30th Street take off as I become an old man in 40 or so years. This project easily rivals Hudson Yards in NYC; it's not as tall but it covers a larger area. It's also important to know that the "$6.5 billion" is likely the present value of a significantly greater investment over the timeframe of the project. I hope people and businesses looking to come to Philly find these renderings as awe-inspiring as I do!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 1:26 PM

Here's another image from the report. The Cira II building is the tall tower to the left of Cira Centre:

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 1:34 PM

This thread will be moved to the "Never Built & Visionary" thread for now.

All talk on Cira II and the surrounding 30th Street Station district developments will happen in the new thread created here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=223554

Once more info is released on Cira II and other Station District projects, we will branch off and create new threads.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 10:13 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This is a bummer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects