HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 4:05 PM

Saskatoon | Highpoint - Condo | 62M | 17F | Proposed

Broadway Bridge

Highpoint

Municipal Planning Commission

I figured this project deserves a thread of its own. I put the word "condo" in the thread title because "Broadway Bridge" looked a little silly/confusing.

Looks like sales will begin in May.

Last edited by alt_center; Apr 16, 2019 at 9:45 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 9:35 PM

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 3:54 PM

PLEASE....reconsider the name!!!
Can we start a petition???!!!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 4:24 PM

Why does it matter?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Why does it matter?
It's terribly uncreative and quite confusing - they are appropriating the name from the actual Broadway Bridge which is just footsteps away, lol. I personally don't get why they chose that name.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 5:31 PM

Name

I think it's genius. Here we are, all discussing it. Fired up about it or otherwise. Isn't that the point of a name (especially when you're trying to sell something...)?

I think they were going for Broadway "Bridge", as in bridging Broadway to downtown. They must have anticipated us locals being divided on the name, but I'm sure that's the point. This would have been approved at multiple levels, including by Vic Majors, I'm sure.

No publicity is bad publicity, really.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet1991 View Post
I think it's genius. Here we are, all discussing it. Fired up about it or otherwise. Isn't that the point of a name (especially when you're trying to sell something...)?

I think they were going for Broadway "Bridge", as in bridging Broadway to downtown. They must have anticipated us locals being divided on the name, but I'm sure that's the point. This would have been approved at multiple levels, including by Vic Majors, I'm sure.

No publicity is bad publicity, really.
This is what came to mind for me too.

I get why some people don't like it. But really, who cares?

My only concern is in seeing the project built, and it being of the finish and quality that I expect from the renders and based on UC's past work. They can name it what they like and it makes no difference to me.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 6:10 PM

Fair enough....I just think it demonstrates an incredible lack of creativity when an existing landmark is already known and referenced as the "Broadway Bridge" ...even the Broadway Bridge Tower or Broadway Bridge View...something else to discern it from our beloved Bridge.

In other news....it appears they are prepping the site for sales. I noticed the No 1 Riverlanding sales centre trailer is on the move today and I saw signs posts going up on the Broadway Bridge site.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 2:41 PM

"Hey! Where you living these days?"
"I just moved into the Broadway Bridge!"
"....tough times, eh?"

I'm sure the building will be fantastic, but I also question the reasoning behind a name that will cause unneeded confusion.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 3:16 PM

Very anxious to see how well this one will sell, considering Meridian is only about 50% sold after all this time. As I've mentioned before, it is my understanding after speaking from a No1 RL rep that Urban Capital et al. aren't definitely aren't expecting to sell out in a weekend again. However, at what point will it sell well enough for them to consider a third development on parcel D/E? Anyone with half a brain should recognize that land (i.e. river facing) is far too valuable for an arena that would take up a very unique opportunity for residential units. I would love to see a mixed-use Urban Capital building, something similar to the Mckenzie Tower they recently announced for Edmonton. (I know it's too upscale for Saskatoon and that we already have an Alt Hotel, but I'd like to see a similar concept. But instead of hotel and residential, maybe commercial and residential)

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 5:29 PM

I have posted these sentiments before but I predict that "Broadway Bridge" will sell faster than Escala, for a couple of reasons.

First, I think the Escala is more upscale and therefore probably more pricey (per sqft). Also, Escala contains a number of "town homes" (i.e., street level units with direct entries), which is a different product than upper floor condos. I also think that except for units on the top two or three floors, the Escala views will be "meh". In fact I think that most every Escala unit with a decent view has been sold.

I also think that the Broadway Bridge location is better. Because condos start on the 4th floor, every single one of them will have a good view (unlike #1RL which I think contains many units with not-so-good views). Of course some will not be river views but I think they will be good views nonetheless. The river views will be fantastic (better than #1RL IMHO).

Maybe Broadway Bridge will not sell out in a weekend like #1RL but I predict they will sell 3/4 of the building at their May launch. I hope my prediction is accurate, because I am 100% convinced UC/VM will do another project, perhaps by the farmers market, if Broadway Bridge is a success. (I cannot see an arena going onto that riverfront land.)

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyku View Post
"Hey! Where you living these days?"
"I just moved into the Broadway Bridge!"
"....tough times, eh?"

I'm sure the building will be fantastic, but I also question the reasoning behind a name that will cause unneeded confusion.
The name is awful IMHO.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 5:55 PM

I would also suggest that 50% of units in Escala being sold before the old church has even been knocked down is a pre-sale success.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I would also suggest that 50% of units in Escala being sold before the old church has even been knocked down is a pre-sale success.
Totally agree. After all, they are proceeding with the project, and the product is unique (IMHO). Its a win/win.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 7:06 PM

There is a photo recently posted on Urban Capital Facebook page of a night shot of river landing area with their old sales trailor making its way across the Idylwyld Bridge. The captions says:

"While you were sleeping, our No 1. River Landing (Saskatoon) sales centre was taking a trip across the River to our next big project.
We'll see you in May. Stay tuned for more info"

Not sure if it is on site yet, but I did see a few guys prepping an area for sign...they actually had the large frame for sign on site, but then when I went by later it was gone. Maybe they needed extra equipment to dig the holes??

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 12:31 AM

April 10 Picture:

Looks like they're gonna set up the showroom right on the site... which means that digging is a while off yet. (We're getting a bit spoiled here after decades of drought.)

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 9:14 PM

I have a memory of John Nasser saying that digging would be about "a year away" back in January or so... or around then

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 2:44 PM

I believe their intent is to have sales centre open in May, so depending on how that goes may impact timing of shovels in the ground. I would not expect to see anything happening until Fall if even then.

Hoping sales go well for this project. It will be interesting to see what demand is like for this. Personally, I would prefer this view to No1 Riverlanding condos. You get the river view but also the view of downtown 'skyline' (which actually is quite nice at night....had friend who lived in Riverwalk Condo and his views were spectacular!)

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 9:23 PM
the heat goes on

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca View Post
Lol rest in peace Broadway Bridge Apr 6 2019-Apr 16 2019

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan