HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 24, 2016, 10:41 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Why is the city installing new emergency call boxes downtown?

I was downtown for the first time in a long time yesterday and I noticed at least five of them. (By the old science center, on 14th Street across from Skiwest and in both the parking lots on the west end north and south of 4th Ave.)

I remember it was a big deal when they were installed on Deerfoot thirty years ago but I am not sure what the pressing need for them would be now, I don’t see any media coverage about them.

I'm mostly just curious, it seems like a strange thing to install in 2016. Are people having their cell phones stolen in large numbers at CPA lots?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 6:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
I was downtown for the first time in a long time yesterday and I noticed at least five of them. (By the old science center, on 14th Street across from Skiwest and in both the parking lots on the west end north and south of 4th Ave.)

I remember it was a big deal when they were installed on Deerfoot thirty years ago but I am not sure what the pressing need for them would be now, I don’t see any media coverage about them.

I'm mostly just curious, it seems like a strange thing to install in 2016. Are people having their cell phones stolen in large numbers at CPA lots?
I suspect there is a sizable vulnerable population downtown that may not actually have cell phones.

While this might be unrelated, we're hearing of some "material" changes in Vancouver to deal with addictions and in particular overdoses. In fact, there is even a view to specifically increase city-wide taxes there to pay for all the first responders dealing with the overdoses. So if we accept overdoses as a growing real concern here in Calgary, maybe more ways for people to communicate others being in trouble is warranted. Not sure.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2016, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
I suspect there is a sizable vulnerable population downtown that may not actually have cell phones.
Additionally, help buttons make it easier to connect directly with a variety of other services (i.e. mental health services) which can be time sensitive. Their position in poorly lit underpasses and in darker areas also help make all people feel more secure in areas that are perceived to be isolated. University campuses all over Canada have had them for years.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation