HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted May 11, 2014, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Doesn't seem like a lot of lifeboats..
Usually they have a mix of life boats and inflatable life rafts (stored in cylinders on deck).

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 2:31 AM
is watching.

Decent year this year... going to be busier next year

Record cruise ship visits at Ogden Point forecast for 2015

T-C October 6, 2014

Quote:
Victoria will receive a record number of cruise ships and passengers next year, according to projections released Monday by the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority.

About 235 cruise ship visits and 531,000 passengers are expected next year as “virtually every major cruise line is increasing their capacity,” the harbour authority said in a statement....

The previous record was 224 ship calls and 503,691 passengers, set in 2012.

...The last ship of the 2014 season, Holland America’s MS Zaandam, left Victoria at 1 p.m. Monday and capped a strong year in which Ogden Point received 206 ships carrying 465,000 passengers.
http://www.timescolonist.com/busines...2015-1.1416625

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 8:51 AM

That is great news! Thanks for posting The more exposure for Victoria the better, such a great city!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 9:14 PM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
That is great news! Thanks for posting The more exposure for Victoria the better, such a great city!
Yes, it is great news! Leisure tourism is one of our main economic drivers!

I can't find the article, but Tourism Victoria has said in the past that there is a significant percentage of cruise ship passengers (day-visitors who make the port-o-call stops) that intend to return to Victoria as the more coveted 'overnight' visitor. They have a great experience and really like the city - so much so that they want to come back and stay longer - typically 3-4 days. The majority of cruise ship passengers are American.

Not too long ago Victoria had over 1 million overnight US visitors per year alone.... the higher CAD dollar reduced that a bit, but numbers seem to be back - by all accounts 2014 has been a stellar year here

...now if BC Ferries would just reduce their fares we could get the Surrey camping crowd back with their F350 dually and trailer rigs ..... oh wait keep 'em up

Last edited by craneSpotter; Oct 8, 2014 at 9:24 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craneSpotter View Post
Yes, it is great news! Leisure tourism is one of our main economic drivers!

I can't find the article, but Tourism Victoria has said in the past that there is a significant percentage of cruise ship passengers (day-visitors who make the port-o-call stops) that intend to return to Victoria as the more coveted 'overnight' visitor. They have a great experience and really like the city - so much so that they want to come back and stay longer - typically 3-4 days. The majority of cruise ship passengers are American.

Not too long ago Victoria had over 1 million overnight US visitors per year alone.... the higher CAD dollar reduced that a bit, but numbers seem to be back - by all accounts 2014 has been a stellar year here

...now if BC Ferries would just reduce their fares we could get the Surrey camping crowd back with their F350 dually and trailer rigs ..... oh wait keep 'em up

I was once on a Norwegian repositioning cruise from LA to Vancouver (with a stop in Victoria and Nanaimo). Talking to one of the senior officers he said that the Alaska cruises that sail from Seattle (with a stop in Victoria) are predominately US nationals. The Alaska cruises that sail out of Vancouver have a much higher percentage of Europeans. Weird dynamics.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 4:52 AM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I was once on a Norwegian repositioning cruise from LA to Vancouver (with a stop in Victoria and Nanaimo). Talking to one of the senior officers he said that the Alaska cruises that sail from Seattle (with a stop in Victoria) are predominately US nationals. The Alaska cruises that sail out of Vancouver have a much higher percentage of Europeans. Weird dynamics.
Talking to a couple from Tennessee a while ago while having dinner - they were on a Seattle based cruise stopping in Victoria. They said that they looked at cruises out of Vancouver and wanted to leave from there because apparently the scenery is much better (spectacular they used) going through Georgia and Johnstone straits. The deal breaker for them was much cheaper airfare and ease to get to Seattle.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Talking to a couple from Tennessee a while ago while having dinner - they were on a Seattle based cruise stopping in Victoria. They said that they looked at cruises out of Vancouver and wanted to leave from there because apparently the scenery is much better (spectacular they used) going through Georgia and Johnstone straits. The deal breaker for them was much cheaper airfare and ease to get to Seattle.
There are a lot of extra taxes to fly between Canada and the US. Most associated with things such as a 9/11 tax, US Agriculture Inspection Tax, etc. IF you look at the cruise ship forums there are a lot of people who fly inot Seattle and take the train upto Vancouver to avoid the high fares.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 9:52 PM
G'day

Quote:
Just had a breeze through the APT Tours (one of the largest tour companies in Australia) 2015 Canada/Alaska/USA brochure. Noticed for the first time in years all but one of the tours that include an Alaska cruise embark in Vancouver. The one that doesn't is Seattle of course. Over the past few years, even though Vancouver was included in almost every tour, about a third of cruise tours left from Seattle. It looks like more of an emphasis on Vancouver in general too as the rail or coach trips do loops through the Rockies so the origin and terminus of tours is Vancouver. Even those that include Eastern Canada you come back to Vancouver and fly from there. Too bad there cannot be cruises that do Seattle, Victoria and Vancouver as each place has so much to offer. But I realise the main destination of these cruises is Alaska and time is limited. Maybe do a two week cruise that includes more southern stops.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post
Just had a breeze through the APT Tours (one of the largest tour companies in Australia) 2015 Canada/Alaska/USA brochure. Noticed for the first time in years all but one of the tours that include an Alaska cruise embark in Vancouver. The one that doesn't is Seattle of course. Over the past few years, even though Vancouver was included in almost every tour, about a third of cruise tours left from Seattle. It looks like more of an emphasis on Vancouver in general too as the rail or coach trips do loops through the Rockies so the origin and terminus of tours is Vancouver. Even those that include Eastern Canada you come back to Vancouver and fly from there. Too bad there cannot be cruises that do Seattle, Victoria and Vancouver as each place has so much to offer. But I realise the main destination of these cruises is Alaska and time is limited. Maybe do a two week cruise that includes more southern stops.
Virtually all of the Seattle cruises do Victoria, a few will do a different Canadian port, Some antiquated US law that prohibits a foreign flagged ship from providing passage between two US ports. Due to the same law, when the bring the ships up at the start of the season they almost always do LA or San Francisco to Vancouver (sometimes with stops on the way up). The ones that will operate out of Seattle then usually do a Vancouver to Seattle cruise sometimes with a day in Victoria.

These repositioning cruses at the start and end of the season are dirt cheap. You can sometimes get a 3-4 day all inclusive cruise from LA to Vancouver for less money than flying.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 5:50 AM
G'day

Quote:
Virtually all of the Seattle cruises do Victoria, a few will do a different Canadian port, Some antiquated US law that prohibits a foreign flagged ship from providing passage between two US ports. Due to the same law, when the bring the ships up at the start of the season they almost always do LA or San Francisco to Vancouver (sometimes with stops on the way up). The ones that will operate out of Seattle then usually do a Vancouver to Seattle cruise sometimes with a day in Victoria.

These repositioning cruses at the start and end of the season are dirt cheap. You can sometimes get a 3-4 day all inclusive cruise from LA to Vancouver for less money than flying.
One of these days we plan to do a Sydney-Vancouver or vv repositioning cruise but I just don't want to be on a boat for that long. Last cruise we did for 7 days was just perfect!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 5:12 AM

By all accounts Victoria and Vancouver are doing quite well with cruise ships.

The one community that is struggling is Nanaimo.

For the 2014 cruise ship season the total number of "large ships" to visit were (figures based on lower births):
Grand Princess (once), aprox 2,500 passenger
Celebrity Solstice (once) aprox. 2,800 passenger
National Geographic Sea Bird (once) approx. 65 passenger
National Geographic Sea Lion (once) aprox. 65 passenger
Source: http://www.npa.ca/files/1213/9404/05...e_Schedule.pdf
http://www.nanaimodailynews.com/news...-2014-1.783357

Multiple levels of government invested over $25 Million in the terminal facility and to see it under utilised like this is disappointing to say the least.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 1:15 AM
is watching.

Quote:
That's good to hear re: more Vancouver based cruises being marketed to Aussies... but as casper mentioned it is the Seattle ones that do a port-o-call stop in Victoria, so we want Seattle to be a popular port too (as it is with Americans) I know the Rockies loops from/back to Vancouver are popular packages ... many stop in Kamloops I believe - I remember a couple of times staying overnight in Kamloops seeing bus loads of Australians being dropped off in the afternoon and picked up at the hotels in the morning.

Is it easier for Australians to fly to Vancouver over Seattle? I know air Canada has a non-stop to/from YVR to SYD. Not sure what air service Seattle has to down under.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 1:24 AM
is watching.

Quote:
I know a few people that have done this - in reverse - Vancouver to LA. First stop is typically Victoria LOL! then Astoria, then San Francisco, then Long Beach. They work Disneyland or an Angels/Ducks game in

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 1:31 AM
is watching.

Quote:
The one community that is struggling is Nanaimo.

For the 2014 cruise ship season the total number of "large ships" to visit were (figures based on lower births):
Grand Princess (once), aprox 2,500 passenger
Celebrity Solstice (once) aprox. 2,800 passenger
National Geographic Sea Bird (once) approx. 65 passenger
National Geographic Sea Lion (once) aprox. 65 passenger
I remember once going for a late night swim on a hot summer night (a couple of years ago ?? I think) at the main beach in Parksville. Well...not really a swim per se, we waded to our bellies with cold beer in hand There was a large cruise ship slowly passing by (heading north) and we could hear the people and music coming from the ship.. there was a movie playing and lots of lights and laughing.. pretty cool experience. Then it just drifted outta sight on its way to Alaska .

Nanaimo is just in a geographically bad position for cruises I guess...too close to Vancouver, and when those US ships have to make one foreign stop it's hard to beat Victoria with all it has to do already being a major tourist destination - which they have to pass by anyway.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 6:13 AM

Quote:
I know a few people that have done this - in reverse - Vancouver to LA. First stop is typically Victoria LOL! then Astoria, then San Francisco, then Long Beach. They work Disneyland or an Angels/Ducks game in
Astoria is a neat place to visit. It does not get many ships so the entire comes come out for it. Open air public market on cruise ship day. A local theatre comes on the ship and does a performance. The local high school band is at the dock welcoming the ship into port.

The pilot that brings the ship into port actually repels off a helicopter to get onto the ship. Apparently this is common practice at that port for ships that require pilots due to the very rough water at entrance into the river.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 6:30 AM

Quote:
I remember once going for a late night swim on a hot summer night (a couple of years ago ?? I think) at the main beach in Parksville. Well...not really a swim per se, we waded to our bellies with cold beer in hand There was a large cruise ship slowly passing by (heading north) and we could hear the people and music coming from the ship.. there was a movie playing and lots of lights and laughing.. pretty cool experience. Then it just drifted outta sight on its way to Alaska .

Nanaimo is just in a geographically bad position for cruises I guess...too close to Vancouver, and when those US ships have to make one foreign stop it's hard to beat Victoria with all it has to do already being a major tourist destination - which they have to pass by anyway.
I think many of the Seattle based cruises sail on the west side of Vancouver Island. That make Nanaimo quite a bit out of the way.

When I did the repositioning cruise in the past. It left LA, did San Francisco, Astoria, Victoria, Nanaimo and ended in Vancouver. When it leaves Victoria at 6:00 pm it is not scheduled to dock in in Nanaimo until 7:00 am the next day it moves very slowly and wonders around a bit.

Nanaimo to Vancouver was the same way, leaves at 6:00 pm and arrives at Canada Place at 7:00 am the next morning.

The ship we were on can do 25 knots (which is faster than BC Ferries). Unless it is needs to make up time, they drift along at a much lower speed.

They are neat ships. I never thought I would like cruises, however after doing one or two I am hooked. Cost wise they are good deals. You need to pick the cruise link with the correct demographic. For me Norwegian has the right balance.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 8:54 PM
G'day

Quote:
That's good to hear re: more Vancouver based cruises being marketed to Aussies... but as casper mentioned it is the Seattle ones that do a port-o-call stop in Victoria, so we want Seattle to be a popular port too (as it is with Americans) I know the Rockies loops from/back to Vancouver are popular packages ... many stop in Kamloops I believe - I remember a couple of times staying overnight in Kamloops seeing bus loads of Australians being dropped off in the afternoon and picked up at the hotels in the morning.

Is it easier for Australians to fly to Vancouver over Seattle? I know air Canada has a non-stop to/from YVR to SYD. Not sure what air service Seattle has to down under.
Nothing direct from Australia-Seattle but plenty of one-stop options from SYD at least. YVR also has nonstop AKL flights on NZ which is a great connecting point to many Aussie cities.

I love Victoria and now that they are going to be opening a Doubletree hotel even better! (Hilton group frequent stayer!). Usually do a side trip there each winter just as a tourist.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 9:20 PM
is watching.

Quote:
Nothing direct from Australia-Seattle but plenty of one-stop options from SYD at least. YVR also has nonstop AKL flights on NZ which is a great connecting point to many Aussie cities.

I love Victoria and now that they are going to be opening a Doubletree hotel even better! (Hilton group frequent stayer!). Usually do a side trip there each winter just as a tourist.
Ah, thanks. I sometimes forget about the NZ flight. I guess it should be a little easier for tourists from France to get Alaska cruise packages via Vancouver with the new non-stop to YVR from CDG!

Yes, the Executive House hotel is being renovated and rebranded a DoubleTree by Hilton. Nice. The Fairmont Empress is also slated for significant renovations soon by the new owner - Nat Bosa Good times for Victoria hotels.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 8:09 PM

Anyone have links to the vancouver cruise ship pax numbers and yearly sailings as well as the ships that were based out of Vancouver?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareerShow View Post
Anyone have links to the vancouver cruise ship pax numbers and yearly sailings as well as the ships that were based out of Vancouver?
http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/en...schedules.aspx

You can find passenger numbers under 'facts and statistics'

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia