HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 4:23 PM

Finally! OC Transpo have installed a departure board on the upper level of the Billings bridge Transitway station. Unlike the 80s-vintage CRT displays we've come to know, this is a flat-screen display that is readable from a distance.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I doubt that Nepean Woods is the termination location for any bus route. It is more likely the neighbourhood that the bus route primarily serves.
I think you are correct currently, but the winter update shortens Route 277 to start / end at Nepean Woods Station. There is a small layover space at this station, so it is certainly possible for routes to start / end here.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nredding View Post
Finally! OC Transpo have installed a departure board on the upper level of the Billings bridge Transitway station. Unlike the 80s-vintage CRT displays we've come to know, this is a flat-screen display that is readable from a distance.
And it only took a little over two decades.

Slight peeve about the screens at multi-stop/level/platform locations: the screens only give you the departures for that stop/level/platform. If you have multiple options for getting from A to B, but some of those other options involve waiting at a different stoplevelplatform, going off to consult the other departure board for an earlier departure or arrival opportunity will often mean missing the opportunity at the one you're already at, BASELINE STATION.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 6:11 PM

The January timetables are online on OC's site. The new 95 timetable is a bit hard to read unless you're on a super high resolution screen.

http://www.octranspo.com/routes?lang...0180119&rte=95

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
And it only took a little over two decades.

Slight peeve about the screens at multi-stop/level/platform locations: the screens only give you the departures for that stop/level/platform. If you have multiple options for getting from A to B, but some of those other options involve waiting at a different stoplevelplatform, going off to consult the other departure board for an earlier departure or arrival opportunity will often mean missing the opportunity at the one you're already at, BASELINE STATION.

There's supposed to be a large central one that they haven't installed yet at Billings, but they do have it at Greenboro that shows all the routes and which stop they are at. The screen project is still ongoing (slowly), and none of the O-Train stations have the screens yet (including the O-Train platform at Greenboro, though the bus platforms all have the screens).

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
The January timetables are online on OC's site. The new 95 timetable is a bit hard to read unless you're on a super high resolution screen.

http://www.octranspo.com/routes?lang...0180119&rte=95
So the 95 will now extend to the Minto Rec Centre in south Barrhaven (Half Moon Bay / Stonebridge).... the route is over 90 minutes long. That is crazy.

I know this will be pointless with LRT opening soon but why didn't OC ever consider a route like this:
95A Barrhaven - Hurdman
95B Orleans - Tunney's.

There would be downtown overlap but that is okay. The long routes seem to set themselves up for delays.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
So the 95 will now extend to the Minto Rec Centre in south Barrhaven (Half Moon Bay / Stonebridge).... the route is over 90 minutes long. That is crazy.

I know this will be pointless with LRT opening soon but why didn't OC ever consider a route like this:
95A Barrhaven - Hurdman
95B Orleans - Tunney's.

There would be downtown overlap but that is okay. The long routes seem to set themselves up for delays.
In the old days (before the 95 was extended to Barrhaven) didn't some 95's go to Blair and others go to Orleans?

One can debate where the terminouses should be, but the advantage of your idea is that it gives those boarding at more central stations an empty bus to fill up rather than having to cram onto a bus that filled up in the suburbs.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
In the old days (before the 95 was extended to Barrhaven) didn't some 95's go to Blair and others go to Orleans?

One can debate where the terminouses should be, but the advantage of your idea is that it gives those boarding at more central stations an empty bus to fill up rather than having to cram onto a bus that filled up in the suburbs.
The disadvantage of the idea is that we have to cram more buses into the downtown, where capacity is already an issue. Doubling the frequency of the 95 through downtown would be a significant increase in buses. When the LRT opens, this won't be an issue anymore.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 11:17 PM
Awesome!

Isn't me but seems the combined 91/95 frequency has been cut for midday hours. Frequency of both have dropped from every 10 to every 15 minutes which will probably create some bigger overcrowding during the winter (even though the other routes do help). There are already some frequent overcrowded 95's when the frequency is every 7/8 mins on Saturdays and Sundays.

I'm a bit surprised that despite losing half of the Orleans local routing, the same amount of trips remain on the 235 (pretty much the same frequency as the new 236 which gets all the southern half of the 235 as well as a large portion of Tenth Line and the western end of Charlemagne) and despite the significant extension on the 234 there are no additional trips by the looks of it.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Yep, I remember that when I was a kid. One trip ended at Blair, and the other continued to Place d'Orleans at the old terminal area off St. Joseph Blvd.

Sometime after the actual Place d'Orleans Station opened, every trip ended at Place d'Orleans.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
Isn't me but seems the combined 91/95 frequency has been cut for midday hours. Frequency of both have dropped from every 10 to every 15 minutes which will probably create some bigger overcrowding during the winter (even though the other routes do help). There are already some frequent overcrowded 95's when the frequency is every 7/8 mins on Saturdays and Sundays.
I did not analyze the timetable on Routes 91 and 95 to compare service frequency, but I can confirm that double deckers will be used for those two routes during the midday. That could be the reason why they made a minor service reduction.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 5:20 AM

As I said before, the goal for frequent routes is 15 minute frequency even that means worse service.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 5:33 AM

I never did get an explanation on why Route 40 is shown as a frequent route on all bus stop signs, when mid day frequency is 30 minutes and this has not changed with the winter service change.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenary View Post
The disadvantage of the idea is that we have to cram more buses into the downtown, where capacity is already an issue. Doubling the frequency of the 95 through downtown would be a significant increase in buses. When the LRT opens, this won't be an issue anymore.
That could be true, depending on implementation (they could use it to reduce frequency in the distant suburbs during peak periods when the frequency is very high anyway). If they did increase the frequency, it would have to be balanced with the frequency of other routes. The point is it gives capacity where it is needed most.

After Stage 2, the LRT will be doing something similar in the west end with trains cycling between terminating at Bayshore, Baseline and Lincoln Fields during peak periods. I don't know, but it is possible they will do the same thing in the east with trains cycling between terminating at Blair, Place d'Orléans and Trim.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 2:18 PM

Quote:
As I said before, the goal for frequent routes is 15 minute frequency even that means worse service.
And only an OC Transpo comms flunkie would consider that to be "frequent".

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 2:43 PM

Quote:
I never did get an explanation on why Route 40 is shown as a frequent route on all bus stop signs, when mid day frequency is 30 minutes and this has not changed with the winter service change.
It's confusing, but I don't think that any routes will respect the new rules for "frequent" until the 2018 network is implemented.

With the 40, one thing to remember is that the 106 also runs on St Laurent providing 15 minute service between St Laurent and Elmvale when combined with the 40. Once the 106 is removed the 40 will likely be every 15 minutes along this stretch.

But will the 40 be every 15 minutes along its entire route (including between Greenboro and Elmvale)? Good question.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 4:46 PM

Quote:
It's confusing, but I don't think that any routes will respect the new rules for "frequent" until the 2018 network is implemented.

With the 40, one thing to remember is that the 106 also runs on St Laurent providing 15 minute service between St Laurent and Elmvale when combined with the 40. Once the 106 is removed the 40 will likely be every 15 minutes along this stretch.

But will the 40 be every 15 minutes along its entire route (including between Greenboro and Elmvale)? Good question.
It still does not explain why the signs today are marked frequent when the route is not frequent. With all the renumbering that is going on, signage is being changed. Surely, it is also possible to change the colour of a route as well as changing a route number. If the intention is to show a route as frequent on the entire route simply because a short distance will be frequent, we have a problem. We are misrepresenting reality to the public.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 5:15 PM

Quote:
If the intention is to show a route as frequent on the entire route simply because a short distance will be frequent, we have a problem. We are misrepresenting reality to the public.
I agree.

There is a stop on Bank at Johnston (right in front of the park and ride) that is served by route 6 only 3 times a day; all early morning trips. However the sign shows the frequent symbol for route 6. If the service at the stop is not frequent; it should not show the frequent symbol.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 6:03 PM

Quote:
I agree.

There is a stop on Bank at Johnston (right in front of the park and ride) that is served by route 6 only 3 times a day; all early morning trips. However the sign shows the frequent symbol for route 6. If the service at the stop is not frequent; it should not show the frequent symbol.
Is it a filled in orange marker or just the outline? The outline is supposed to mean that there's only select trips at a stop.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 6:30 PM

OC Transpo has decided to rename Confederation Station... "Mooney's Bay Station"

What?!

New service starts December 24

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation