HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 7:24 AM

Impressive amount of site prep visible here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/droneshot

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Impressive amount of site prep visible here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/droneshot
Great shot!

From this angle, it has a real One Oak vibe—materiality, window pattern, curvature, etc.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
Great shot!

From this angle, it has a real One Oak vibe—materiality, window pattern, curvature, etc.
1977 deserves credit for finding the site this came from and he posted this image in the 1500 Mission thread (the building I think you are talking about). But I also noticed it shows the site prep for 30 Otis across the street and I had thought that was still basicly just a cleared lot. However the image clearly shows active site prep work at 30 Otis which is why I posted it.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 2:33 PM
She needs her space

**Sunday, June 16, 2019**

No change appears from the May 3 aerial. However, whenever Malcom is on site it can be hard to tell what level of work is happening. Could all be subterranean.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 7:41 AM

June 29, 2019 . . . by mthd:

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 11:51 PM

They are making real headway now in digging a deep hole:

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 7:56 AM
heavy user of walkability

you beat me to it, but fwiw

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 11:17 AM

looking west

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 7:09 AM

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 9:31 PM
REAL Kiwi!

^^what a great shot, that area around civic center is really blowing up...

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
^^what a great shot, that area around civic center is really blowing up...
I assume he must have a drone. There's no building this tall at this location. I admit I reposted the photo from the original location because I want to encourage some of our great photographers (or at least good photographers with great equipment) to take more notice of what's going on just across the street from the 1500 block of Mission St. That project is nearly complete--this one's going to be in progress now for a year or two.

The most interesting thing about this project (30 Otis) is how quickly it's getting built: Only about a year from the the first public notice of the proposal to turning dirt. Some of the other projects in "The Hub" have been around for years with no progress.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 8:15 AM

crane going up

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
crane going up

Even with just this and the 1500 Mission project, this intersection is going to feel soooooo different. I am very much looking forward to the Hub filling in.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Even with just this and the 1500 Mission project, this intersection is going to feel soooooo different. I am very much looking forward to the Hub filling in.
me too, and sort of a tangent, but I sometimes wonder if a roundabout wouldn't be a good solution for this intersection, with all the streets hitting it at not-right angles, and all the basically wasted space in the middle. I think the current plan is to slim things down a bit with widened sidewalks and of course the re-work of the intersection with 12th St that is part of this project, but if nicely done, a roundabout could both add some class as well as probably move traffic more efficiently

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 3:27 PM

Quote:
...and sort of a tangent, but I sometimes wonder if a roundabout wouldn't be a good solution for this intersection...
It’s funny you say that; I’ve always thought SF could use a large, celebrated roundabout here as well. I thought it was only me, after a trip to Mexico City, that encouraged the idea.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 5:09 PM

Quote:
It’s funny you say that; I’ve always thought SF could use a large, celebrated roundabout here as well. I thought it was only me, after a trip to Mexico City, that encouraged the idea.
Van Ness and Market, way back when

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 7:46 AM

Quote:
hey, right on. one potential snag did occur to me after I posted that: the traffic volumes are large enough here that I think northbound it backs up to this intersection during a red light at Van Ness and Market sometimes, or often. that might gum this up. 'course, maybe you could have another one at that intersection, bring that statue in pseudolus' post back (is that the one at Market and Dolores now? or is that Simón Bolívar?)...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:07 PM

Burnham's plan for Civic Center, 1905

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...er_crop%29.png

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:17 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
hey, right on. one potential snag did occur to me after I posted that: the traffic volumes are large enough here that I think northbound it backs up to this intersection during a red light at Van Ness and Market sometimes, or often. that might gum this up. 'course, maybe you could have another one at that intersection, bring that statue in pseudolus' post back (is that the one at Market and Dolores now? or is that Simón Bolívar?)...
I think as far as car traffic is concerned, if they kept the red lights at North/South Van Ness then the roundabout would work. However, I don't know how they could get the muni to work efficiently, it would allow all cars (N. onto Van Ness from W. Market, or S. onto Van Ness from E. Market) to drive over the muni tracks. I also don't think it would be good for pedestrians, you basically have to stop all cars going all directions to allow pedestrians to cross. Otherwise you have to stop cars at each street exit, creating a back up of cars inside the roundabout. Another option to not disrupt the current street flow is to make the center island very small, basically a median and not a true roundabout.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 6:53 PM

I too would love to see a Mexico City style roundabout, but I'll keep my expectations low.

BTW, what is that square building in the old pic with all the round arches? It's one of my favorites to drive by.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive