HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Trinity Place Building [B] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 3:43 AM

Does anyone know the status of this project?

Thanks!!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 8:14 AM
BANNED

^^^Hard to say exactly what's going on at this minute, but it was only approved 2 months ago and a forumer who claims to be in the know told us a construction contract was let to Cannon (who is also doing the demolition work at 45 Lansing)--for the whole project or just the first phase (the tallest building fronting Mission) he didn't say--and he expects work to begin fairly soon. This is to be a rental project and although the condo market is slowing, the rental market in SF is apparently booming so nothing to slow it there.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 5:38 AM
Sonoma Strong

^dont they still need to acquire financing?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 7:02 AM
BANNED

^^^I don't know. We don't usually find out such things until they put up a sign at the construction site saying whose funding the project.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 11:50 PM
BANNED

SF Business Times says in today's issue: "Ground breaking on the first $75M, 26-story building is planned for fall."

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 4:26 PM
I love boxes.

Is this project bigger than Merchandise Mart of Chicago ?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
SF Business Times says in today's issue: "Ground breaking on the first $75M, 26-story building is planned for fall."
Wow, they must've been able to get financing easier than expected. I thought the groundbreaking wasn't until Spring 2008. That's great news and I hope it spurs other areas on the mid-market to clean up. Its still sort of crappy when you go west of 5th & Market.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 11:06 PM
BANNED

^^^It gets "crappier" every day. As I have mentioned, I spend my winters in sunny southern AZ these days and when I got back this year in April I was kind of shocked at all the empty, boarded up storefronts along Market from just west of 5th to 10th. It's much worse than a year ago--at least then m ost of the storefronts had operating (if marginal) businesses in them. I am hoping a lot of the empty real estate is because at least some of it will soon be demolished for the various projects (such as a shopping mall with [possible Target) we keep reading about, but meanwhile, "crappy" about covers it.

And as always, I want to thank my supervisor, Chris Daly, for the "crappiness".

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
^^^It gets "crappier" every day. As I have mentioned, I spend my winters in sunny southern AZ these days and when I got back this year in April I was kind of shocked at all the empty, boarded up storefronts along Market from just west of 5th to 10th. It's much worse than a year ago--at least then m ost of the storefronts had operating (if marginal) businesses in them. I am hoping a lot of the empty real estate is because at least some of it will soon be demolished for the various projects (such as a shopping mall with [possible Target) we keep reading about, but meanwhile, "crappy" about covers it.

Don't get me started on Daly

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 2:56 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
Don't get me started on Daly
At least Aaron Peskin came to his senses and threw him off of the Budget and Finance Committee. The guy gets crazier by the week!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
At least Aaron Peskin came to his senses and threw him off of the Budget and Finance Committee. The guy gets crazier by the week!
Maybe Peskin will come to his senses and kick Daly off the BOS. I would love to see that.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 7:03 AM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Maybe Peskin will come to his senses and kick Daly off the BOS. I would love to see that.
Perhaps you're right. I wonder what possible effects that could have on other projects such as Transbay though .

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 3:02 PM
Sonoma Strong

^ i know, lets how many ppl we can get kicked off the bos before the next election!!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminiscence View Post
Perhaps you're right. I wonder what possible effects that could have on other projects such as Transbay though .
Why would replacing Daly harm the progress of these projects? Daly likes to state that he pushed through Rincon Hill projects and Trinity Plaza, but he really just delayed their progression, by demanding more affordable units. He and other supes almost KO'd Trinity Plaza, on more than one occasion.

Unless the replacement for Daly is even more of a fascist (unlikely), we'd probably see LESS roadblocks to future developments in the future.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 8:59 PM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Why would replacing Daly harm the progress of these projects? Daly likes to state that he pushed through Rincon Hill projects and Trinity Plaza, but he really just delayed their progression, by demanding more affordable units. He and other supes almost KO'd Trinity Plaza, on more than one occasion.

Unless the replacement for Daly is even more of a fascist (unlikely), we'd probably see LESS roadblocks to future developments in the future.
It may not be harmful to the development, it may in fact be good for them. From what I've read over the months though, Daly seems to be a proponent for Transbay and Piano's proposal, and he likes the height (which, if I'm still on Planet Earth, is a good thing). In these respects, Daly serves as a positive force. However, I'm not dissapointed that Peskin did what he did.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminiscence View Post
It may not be harmful to the development, it may in fact be good for them. From what I've read over the months though, Daly seems to be a proponent for Transbay and Piano's proposal, and he likes the height (which, if I'm still on Planet Earth, is a good thing). In these respects, Daly serves as a positive force. However, I'm not dissapointed that Peskin did what he did.
I wouldn't be too concerned about the height being cropped down, unless of course Peskin decides to replace Daly with John King.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 10:31 PM
BANNED

I've resisted jumping into this off-topic banter about Chris Daly, but I want to make a few points, both on and off-topic:

- The design of Trinity Plaza, after years of delay, much of it facilitated by Daly (and even more by McGoldrick), is approved. It isn't going to change now unless the developer requests a change (which he'd be a fool to do since that would reopen all the negotiations) in his entitlements.

- Daly doesn't really support development per say anywhere, nor does he oppose it, much as Tony Soprano didn't support or oppose trash collection. He uses it as a source of funds for his own purposes, political and other. Any developer willing to pay his price can get his support, but the value of that support is dubious as Angelo Sangiacomo found out once he had paid it--Daly then stopped opposing Trinity Plaza, but when McGoldrick popped up with more objections, Daly didn't really fight for it either. Having got what he wanted, he let others try to get what they wanted. And the welfare of his district be d*mned.

- Daly has said he does not oppose height at the TransBay Terminal per se but he will oppose whatever is proposed if his price--lots of affordable housing, plenty of lucre for his housing-whore allies--is not paid. He can't really make demands yet since there is no firm proposal yet, but we can be sure that he will if he's still on the Board or otherwise in a position to do so.

- The biggest reason I hate Daly is none of the above. I hate him because he has essentially blocked the redevelopment of Mid-Market Street by blocking it from becoming a Redevelopment Area. Citizens groups and others interested in the city's future have proposed all sorts of projects to turn the area into an arts and entertainment district, which, of course, Market St. once was, and to revive it, including building housing like Trinity Plaza but not limited to that: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&sn=002&sc=936 Daly has said, "No", not until his price is paid. As the Business Times quoted him, "the city's controversial Mid-Market plan continues to be stalled, and Supervisor Chris Daly, whose district includes Mid-Market, said it (the mid-Market Plan) is dead unless more affordable housing and other community benefits are added": http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...26/focus2.html And so this important area of the city deteriorates, looking, as I've pointed out elsewhere, worse and worse by the month.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 4:29 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
The biggest reason I hate Daly is none of the above. I hate him because he has essentially blocked the redevelopment of Mid-Market Street by blocking it from becoming a Redevelopment Area. Citizens groups and others interested in the city's future have proposed all sorts of projects to turn the area into an arts and entertainment district, which, of course, Market St. once was, and to revive it, including building housing like Trinity Plaza but not limited to that: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&sn=002&sc=936 Daly has said, "No", not until his price is paid. As the Business Times quoted him, "the city's controversial Mid-Market plan continues to be stalled, and Supervisor Chris Daly, whose district includes Mid-Market, said it (the mid-Market Plan) is dead unless more affordable housing and other community benefits are added": http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...26/focus2.html And so this important area of the city deteriorates, looking, as I've pointed out elsewhere, worse and worse by the month.
You are absolutely right BT, this is his worst crime of all. I've been following Union Square and Mid-Market development for years and Chris Daly has held that seedy area back more than anyone else in recent history. It's really criminal that he did it when this totally embarrassing blight in the middle of our beautiful City finally had a realistic chance to move forward and greatly improve. Daly doesn't really want improvement there because it's his power base and the people there love and support him. In the end, Daly doesn't benefit them either.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
You are absolutely right BT, this is his worst crime of all. I've been following Union Square and Mid-Market development for years and Chris Daly has held that seedy area back more than anyone else in recent history. It's really criminal that he did it when this totally embarrassing blight in the middle of our beautiful City finally had a realistic chance to move forward and greatly improve. Daly doesn't really want improvement there because it's his power base and the people there love and support him. In the end, Daly doesn't benefit them either.
Thank god for term limits and that this project somehow got pushed through. I wouldn't mind seeing a recall election though, so that we won't have to wait another 3 1/2 years to see any progress.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:

Are you retired? Must be nice to spend your winters down in Tucson. BTW, I lived in Phoenix for 2 years myself.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive