HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post
Its a big hole! And theyre still digging.

...And I dont quite get it. From north to south...

The line is elevated over the river, and then elevated over the UP tracks.

Then goes ground level, and then well underground to go below a freaking canal and 180.

Right after it pops back up to an elevated train station.

And then even higher up for the Cedar viaduct.

Why didnt they go over 180 instead of under?
Yeah, I wondered that too. Somewhere I saw early proposals that would have gone over 180. I assume it was just too high. The bottom of the overpass structures would have needed to be 15 or so feet at a minimum above 180. Or it could be that the transition to get below the street overpass was too much. i dunno. I am curious though, you say an "elevated train station" Where do you see that? Everything I've seen has it at ground level. Also, any word on when UP is going to get going on the shoo-fly? That seems to be a big hold up in getting the street underpasses in downtown Fresno.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:25 AM
Show me the blueprints

That elevation question surely has an answer somewhere in the EIS Final Alignment docs, though it might take a while to find.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaunceyjb View Post
Yeah, I wondered that too. Somewhere I saw early proposals that would have gone over 180. I assume it was just too high. The bottom of the overpass structures would have needed to be 15 or so feet at a minimum above 180. Or it could be that the transition to get below the street overpass was too much. i dunno. I am curious though, you say an "elevated train station" Where do you see that? Everything I've seen has it at ground level. Also, any word on when UP is going to get going on the shoo-fly? That seems to be a big hold up in getting the street underpasses in downtown Fresno.
It may have changed, but the original plans had the Fresno train station on top of the old UPRR passenger train station.

It was historical at ground, lobby on 2nd floor, tracks on top.

This is the old station

DSC_0896_38276 by J Sinclair, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 3:05 AM

Quote:
It may have changed, but the original plans had the Fresno train station on top of the old UPRR passenger train station.

It was historical at ground, lobby on 2nd floor, tracks on top.

This is the old station
If you look at the EIR, it's showing an overhead walkway, but the tracks are "at grade": http://www.hsr.ca.gov/docs/programs/...s_File1of1.pdf

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 7:07 AM

Where the HSR crosses the 180, the freeway is already elevated to cross freeway 99, so it makes sense to put the rail below. Being below the freeway, there is not enough room to go above the rail spur and an irrigation canal, so the HSR has to go below ground level.
I am under the impressions that the rail station will be at ground level... As far as I know the historical train depot is on the other side of the Union Pacific track from where the HSR track will be located.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 4:42 PM
Show me the blueprints

^And even though those early engineering docs from'14 were only 15% design, the track elevations and general station distribution are likely to be accurate.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 1:51 AM

Quote:
If you look at the EIR, it's showing an overhead walkway, but the tracks are "at grade": http://www.hsr.ca.gov/docs/programs/...s_File1of1.pdf
I guess Im really out of date! I didnt realize it had changed from this.

Heres the station plan I remember - I attended meetings related to this.

https://www.fresno.gov/mayor/wp-cont...ts_reduced.pdf

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 7:07 AM

Thanks for posting the link to the station plans - I had not seen any plans that detailed before.
On that note, does anybody have the plans for the HSR crossing Herndon Avenue in Fresno? I have a good guess of what they are going to do, but would like to see the plans.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 3:49 PM
Show me the blueprints

^ Don't interpret those early engineering plans as what the station will look like. Those docs really only vaguelly describe the basic requirements of the station - passenger flow, pick up/drop off, track/platform alignment - but do not in any way suggest how the ultimate architectural form of the station will appear.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 3:36 AM
Show me the blueprints

New photos up on the Flickr page.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Has the north side of the bridge over the San Joaquin River been poured? I can't tell from the pix. I see the wood forms, but can't tell if there is any concrete in the forms. Also, does anyone know if the big pillars have been poured in the median of the Cedar Viaduct? It looks like most of the rest of the pillars have been poured. And finally, anyone know what the deal is with UP getting going on the shoo-fly in downtown Fresno? That was supposed to be built last summer by UP. That's really putting the construction of the underpasses behind schedule.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoHobbit View Post
Thanks for posting the link to the station plans - I had not seen any plans that detailed before.
On that note, does anybody have the plans for the HSR crossing Herndon Avenue in Fresno? I have a good guess of what they are going to do, but would like to see the plans.
I haven't seen any plans for Herndon. However, I believe that the original plans have changed. See this proposal from January 2018: http://www.hsr.ca.gov/docs/brdmeetin...B_Contract.pdf Originally the trains were supposed to go over Herndon, but there were problems associated with moving a pipeline and eventually they decided to bring the rail to ground and take Herndon over the tracks.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 11:05 PM
BANNED

Google Maps in the region has been updated again. It was updated not that long ago so only slightly more progress is visible, but still good to see something getting done.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
Google Maps in the region has been updated again. It was updated not that long ago so only slightly more progress is visible, but still good to see something getting done.
Are you sure? Downtown Fresno shows February 2018, which I believe showed up in April of may last year.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 10:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Are you sure? Downtown Fresno shows February 2018, which I believe showed up in April of may last year.
It's been updates since Feb 2018.

For instance in the Feb 2018 pics this whole portion of the bridge over the San Joaquin River is just pylons:

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
There are also new pictures up today for the State Route 180 Passageway. They are not on the Flickr account so far as I've found, but are in the buildhsr.com page relating to the Fresno Trench SR 180 Passageway page. They've got to be getting close to the bottom.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 9:21 PM

Quote:
There are also new pictures up today for the State Route 180 Passageway. They are not on the Flickr account so far as I've found, but are in the buildhsr.com page relating to the Fresno Trench SR 180 Passageway page. They've got to be getting close to the bottom.
They posted a drone video on their facebook page which is impressive

https://www.facebook.com/CaliforniaH...2206337318323/

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 8:36 PM

Quote:
I just noticed this on the buildhsr page: "Crews have reached the bottom of the trench and are fine grading the area in order to start the box construction."

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 7:40 PM

Newsom is terminating the project.

https://www.apnews.com/801b4fb4ff954d1b91bce4aad77f7caa

Quote:
California Gov. Gavin Newsom says he’s ending the state’s effort to build a high-speed rail line between San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Newsom said Tuesday in his State of the State address it “would cost too much and take too long” to build the line long championed by his predecessor, Jerry Brown. Latest estimates pin the cost at $77 billion and completion in 2033.

Newsom says he wants to continue construction of the high-speed link from Merced to Bakersfield in California’s Central Valley. He says building the line could bring economic transformation to the agricultural region.

And he says abandoning that portion of the project would require the state to return $3.5 billion in federal dollars.

Newsom also is replacing Brown’s head of the board that oversee the project and is pledging to hold the project’s contractors more accountable for cost overruns.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 7:45 PM
Show me the blueprints

Hold on while I kill myself...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation