HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
I don't think the situation is helped by the water quality issues and swim advisories.

That's only an issue for Parlee Beach, I've never heard of water quality issues on any other beach.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riberview View Post
I do see the benefit of having an ocean view, even if you can't touch the water. For some people it's enough to look out their window or off their porch and think.. "wow." I recall once having a beautiful view of Mahone Bay, NS. Incredible to think of the expanse of ocean beyond the islands.

I agree with your point about the beaches. I am amazed that this isn't marketed like crazy. Short drive from Moncton to all kinds of beaches. Even shorter drive if you set up home in the Cap-Acadie/ or Bouctouche areas.. and then it's just a short drive to town.

I think with the past few years influx of Ontarians and the like, you'll start to see a steady of flow of their friends and relatives out this way. Word is bound to get out.

At least the summers are nice.
While their view is nice it is nothing special IMO, what we have access to IS special.

We are a quick 12 minute drive to the warmest waters in the country, every other Canadian needs to pay a small fortune
to experience this, a trip down south. Its something we take for granted.

If SJ had access to this rest assured it would be advertised and plastered on every sign/commercial.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 4:52 PM

When Shediac joins the Moncton CMA and we can technically claim you can visit the mountain and the beach in under 30 minutes

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 5:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new kid in town View Post
When Shediac joins the Moncton CMA and we can technically claim you can visit the mountain and the beach in under 30 minutes
Still not quite the same as metro Vancouver though.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
True but don't ruin my delusion

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Right, that's sailing, golf and skiing all in the same day as I recall.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenTri View Post
While their view is nice it is nothing special IMO, what we have access to IS special.

We are a quick 12 minute drive to the warmest waters in the country, every other Canadian needs to pay a small fortune
to experience this, a trip down south. Its something we take for granted.

If SJ had access to this rest assured it would be advertised and plastered on every sign/commercial.
Don't forget, a quick drive from uptown SJ (8 minutes over the hill to Millidgeville or 15 to the KV) and you can be on the St John or Kennebecasis Rivers (fresh water where summertime water temps are in the low 20's.....perfect on a warm day)

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Don't forget, a quick drive from uptown SJ (8 minutes over the hill to Millidgeville or 15 to the KV) and you can be on the St John or Kennebecasis Rivers (fresh water where summertime water temps are in the low 20's.....perfect on a warm day)
Not comparable, the water up here gets up to 25c. 20c is pretty damn chili, a 5c difference is a drastic difference. I find 23-25c to be the minimum to enjoy waters IMO, I can tolerate 22 but it's not really enjoyable.

You can find 20c water pretty much anywheres in the country, on the other hand waters that can reach 25c is unique.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenTri View Post
Not comparable, the water up here gets up to 25c. 20c is pretty damn chili, a 5c difference is a drastic difference. I find 23-25c to be the minimum to enjoy waters IMO, I can tolerate 22 but it's not really enjoyable.

You can find 20c water pretty much anywheres in the country, on the other hand waters that can reach 25c is unique.
To each his own but..........I've been sailing and boating on the St John River for 40 years.....water temps are just right on a warm summer's day......and it's fresh water so no itchy salt drying on you.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
To each his own but..........I've been sailing and boating on the St John River for 40 years.....water temps are just right on a warm summer's day......and it's fresh water so no itchy salt drying on you.

Your allowed to have your preference, nothing wrong with that. But you'd be part of a small minority globally. There's a reason why saltwater beaches are #1 tourist attractions worldwide.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 11:34 PM
Unregistered Loser

You're not even alive until you've had the 5°C Bay of Fundy waters wash over you.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
You're not even alive until you've had the 5°C Bay of Fundy waters wash over you.
Now that's a bit of an exaggeration. It gets all the way up to a balmy 12° in the bay in summer! (Although it doesn't feel particularly balmy when you take a wave in the face on a rough day. )

In all seriousness though, there is a reason they call the St John River "The Rhine of North America" Over the years countless visiting yachtsmen from the US have been amazed at what we have. They love the warm, fresh water, unspoiled landscape and lack of fog. It's a real hidden gem. Only the challenges of the 120 mile passage from Bar Harbour to Saint John (a rugged, rocky coast, fog, cold and strong currents keep us from getting overcrowded.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 12:05 AM

CBC just posted an aerial video of the tidal bore. Has some good views of the skyline especially with the first 2 sisters.

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2308756035756

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...0ff70e5b&ei=11

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 6:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

PAC agenda for February 28th.

https://www5.moncton.ca/docs/pac/PAC...Feb_28_fev.pdf

Very ho hum.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2024, 2:57 AM

I’ll repost this here after I previously posted it on the retail talk & share facebook group just to get a conversation going. I think we do a lot of arm chair urban planning, but it would certainly be nice to get more involved and make a quantifiable difference in the community.

I recently watched a video criticizing the “urbanist YouTube” space for not helping people realize how to get involved in city planning. I thought it might be a good idea to see what kind of impact we, who are interested in making Moncton a better place, can make if we join together. I don’t know what this would look like, but I think there is lots of us that have an interest in improving our city. I find this page, and to an extent SkyScraperPage fourm, almost like a development news site. Jeff Boucher does a good job of often posting hypothetical questions of what people would like to see happen, for the sake of engagement, but I’d like to see those grassroots turn into actual civic engagement. Let me know your thoughts on ways we can grow this community in the Moncton or New Brunswick areas.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2024, 3:13 AM

I remember posting here several months back when Moncton city was doing surveys on how to move forward with downtown density revitalization, and nobody else commented about it. I do agree it would be nice if we can somehow make actual visible support for projects we like to see, even at least as a counterbalance to unwarranted NIMBYism.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2024, 2:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I recently watched a video criticizing the “urbanist YouTube” space for not helping people realize how to get involved in city planning. I thought it might be a good idea to see what kind of impact we, who are interested in making Moncton a better place, can make if we join together. I don’t know what this would look like, but I think there is lots of us that have an interest in improving our city. I find this page, and to an extent SkyScraperPage fourm, almost like a development news site. Jeff Boucher does a good job of often posting hypothetical questions of what people would like to see happen, for the sake of engagement, but I’d like to see those grassroots turn into actual civic engagement. Let me know your thoughts on ways we can grow this community in the Moncton or New Brunswick areas.
I read your Facebook post, and Jeff Boucher's response. I agree with him that a lot of municipal politicians, MLAs, media people and other movers and shakers read and pay attention to both his site and SSP in order to keep an eye on public opinion. Sometimes we even have some good ideas that can influence public policy. To that end, I encourage people who want their opinions heard to post commentary here. You never know what sort of effect this might have on public policy.

Otherwise, direct civic engagement is very important. There actually are SSP members who are on important municipal committees. They have made the decision to become actively involved. There are ongoing opportunities for members of the public at large to let city hall know of their interest, and potentially be appointed to these advisory committees. If there is a topic you are passionate about (like active transportation), then this is your opportunity to make a difference.

Finally, you can choose to run for city council. I know of no SSP members in Moncton who are on city council, but, there are at least two city councillors in HRM who were formerly active on SSP. One of them (Waye Mason) is likely to run for mayor of HRM this year.

There are many ways to make a difference - passionate discussion on public forums such as this, committee membership or even active politics. It doesn't matter how involved you want to become, but, if you want your opinion heard, there are many outlets available.

SSP is more influential than a lot of people know.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2024, 3:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I remember posting here several months back when Moncton city was doing surveys on how to move forward with downtown density revitalization, and nobody else commented about it. I do agree it would be nice if we can somehow make actual visible support for projects we like to see, even at least as a counterbalance to unwarranted NIMBYism.
In the spirit of my previous post, I will give you my vision of what downtown Moncton should become:

1) - The downtown should be centred south of Gordon & Queen Street, with a focus on Main Street and Assumption Blvd.

2) - The downtown should be bookended by two defining districts. An entertainment/events district to the west, and an arts and cultural district to the east, centred around Downing Street.

3) - Entertainment/Events District. This is already developing nicely thanks to the prescient vision of locating the Avenir Centre in the city core. There are already three hotels in the neighbourhood (Crowne Plaza, Hilton Garden Inn, Hyatt Pace) and a smattering of new high quality restaurants (Carrabbas, Monk 10, and the soon to come Baton Rouge). The new Bunker golf simulator and bar adds a unique entertainment option to the neighbourhood. Between The Bunker and Baton Rouge, there will be a large contiguous area of outdoor patio and dining space immediately across from the Hyatt Place, I think this will be quite lively on long sultry summer evenings.

There is more to be done however. In particular, something needs to be done with 1222 Main and the adjacent vacant lot on the west side of the Avenir Centre. As I previously envisioned, I think there is a tremendous opportunity coming with NB hosting the Canada Summer Games in 2029. Moncton is well placed already for this event with many sports facilities already available. The Achilles heel in any Moncton proposal to be the host city is our lack of an appropriate 50 metre pool and diving facility. I have done the measurements, and, such a facility could fit in the space between the Avenir Centre and 1222 Main.

By colocating the aquatic facility next to arguably the nicest arena in the region, we would have the best concentration of athletic facilities in Atlantic Canada. It would further an events focus for the downtown west end. 1222 Main could be renovated in the meantime as well for more hotel space. A hotel connected to the aquatic facility would be a great inducement for major sports organizations to consider Moncton as a host city. I also think there is room on Main Street between the Avenir Centre and the proposed aquatics facility for a large sports bar such as Le Cage aux Sports.

4) - Arts and Culture District. The rudiments of such a district have already been discussed by city planning and presented to city council. We just need to flesh out the details and focus the vision. This district would be centred on Downing Street.

Downing Street is already envisaged as a pedestrian plaza with limited vehicular access. The renderings are very promising. The city market will relocate to Downing. There are discussions ongoing as to the need for a downtown convention centre, and how the convention centre might incorporate the city market. I think great care must be taken as to how any such colocation occurs. Personally, I think the two spaces should be almost entirely separate, but, perhaps allowing for some overflow use if necessary. I think there should be two components to the market. I think there should be a dedicated space for permanent vendors (like the Saint John city market), and a flex space where weekend vendors can set up. The permanent vendors should have the greatest visibility (window frontage for example). The flex space could be shared with an adjacent convention centre.

There has also been talk about moving the city library out of Blue Cross into a new more modern space. I think this a good idea, especially if it incorporates many of the ideas used in the new downtown library in Halifax, such as a lecture auditorium, meeting rooms, computer labs, a cafe or two, and large comfortable and airy reading rooms.

Finally, Moncton needs a major museum. Saint John has the New Brunswick Museum. Fredericton has the Beaverbrook Art Gallery. Moncton needs something similar. I know some people have speculated in the past of a New Brunswick Museum of Modern Art. I support this concept, and, this could be the final addition needed for our Arts & Culture District - a district that would include the city library, city market, a convention centre and a museum of modern art.

5) - High rise development should be primarily limited to south of Main Street. This does not mean that high rise developemtn elsewhere is completely excluded, and, in particular, I think there are several options for high rises around Botsford Street and along east Main Street. North of Main however should primarily be reserved for mid rise mixed use buildings with streetfront retail/commercial.

6) - If the residential population of downtown Moncton is to expand exponentially, then it becomes obvious that we need to think about additional schools in the area. The only downtown school is Edith Cavell, and, this will be completely inadequate if suddenly there are thousands more people living in the core. There are many new schools being built in the city, but, they are all kilometres away in the distant reaches of the suburbs. This is not an acceptable solution for a burgeoning downtown population.

I firmly believe that the old Moncton High School should be recommissioned as a public high school. Locating the replacement school out by the city limits was a tremendous mistake, but, it is not too late to redress the situation. A new primary/middle school will also be necessary. I would keep Edith Cavell for the downtown west end, and build a new school in the east end. I think there are options for land assembly around Rabbi Lippa Medjuck Street. I think this should be explored. A downtown francophone primary/middle school might also be necessary, but I am less certain about this. I will leave this to others to comment about.

7) - I firmly believe that Moncton deserves a campus of UNB in the city. There is a constituency of over 100,000 anglophones in the metro area that are not being served by the provincial university. Crandall does not have adequate programs. Mount Allison is just a little too far away on treacherous winter roads. UdeM is entirely francophone and does not meet the needs of anglophone Monctonians. A junior campus of UNB is required, and, if located downtown, would give added vibrancy to the core as the students would frequent nearby coffee shops and cafes. There is enough developable land south of Main Street to locate a small campus.

I hope this little treatise will spark some conversation.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2024, 6:14 PM

Quote:
7) - I firmly believe that Moncton deserves a campus of UNB in the city. There is a constituency of over 100,000 anglophones in the metro area that are not being served by the provincial university. Crandall does not have adequate programs. Mount Allison is just a little too far away on treacherous winter roads. UdeM is entirely francophone and does not meet the needs of anglophone Monctonians. A junior campus of UNB is required, and, if located downtown, would give added vibrancy to the core as the students would frequent nearby coffee shops and cafes. There is enough developable land south of Main Street to locate a small campus.

I hope this little treatise will spark some conversation.

I most definitely agree with a major museum, and the pool you have mentioned to create a sporting complex around the Avenir.

As many others have pointed out, we need to get rid of the huge swaths of surface parking to allow the construction of more buildings. However, I still think at least one of the surface parking areas have to be converted into a multi-level paid parking structure (or even part of a mixed-use building) to accommodate people coming from outside our CMA. As more events, unique retailers, and other attraction accumulate in Moncton, we should expect some visitors to drive in and require parking.

I've also mentioned elsewhere in the fora before that I think we need more food retail in the core downtown. Hopefully the street level spaces of the slated towers help solve that problem. It would be nice to get a blend of high-end, local, and fast food or coffee chains to attract people of different social strata.

The housing and homelessness problem would need to be addressed of course to help make this successful. Businesses downtown are either locked, moving away, or closing early (CBC News, https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2300446787883).

I agree with a stronger UNB presence in the city. It seems rather amiss that the province's largest and fastest growing CMA doesn't have it save for the faculty of nursing downtown. On a very very personal note, I would want to see (at the very least) the UNB Nursing expand its facilities and presence as I aspire to take a nurse practitioner program in the near future without having to worry about going to Saint John or Fredericton. As our city continues to outpace the rest of the province, the need for an anglo higher education outside of the NBCC is only going to be more and more evident. I know NPs can't replace MDs, but at least until we can attract more family doctors, it may be prudent to expand NP programs in the city to support primary care in the community. It sounds really idealistic, but I really think if we can strengthen community and public health, we will help reduce the strain to our hospitals (which is another thing that would have to be supported as our city grows).

Anyway that's my , and it's quite obviously very health-centric as that is where I primarily work.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2024, 9:09 PM

Quote:
I did actually see your post and filled out a survey. I filled out one for the vision lands too. This is the kind of stuff I’m talking about. It seems like it falls on deaf ears even when it doesn’t. This forum is fantastic for starting discussions and fleshing out ideas, and I’m aware that influential people read it, however I’d like to have a little more direct influence than “an MLA might read your post”. When it comes to politics, I actually live outside of Riverview so I can’t run for council in Riverview or Moncton, and Fundy Albert is a pretty massive area to cover when running for Mayor or Council. I have often aspired to run for some form of government though.

My idea would be to have some sort of group that can speak on behalf of urban minded people, and present information and suggestions to people in power (PAC, Mayor & Council, MLAs & MPs) that accurately reflects the opinions of urban minded Monctonians. As far as I’m aware, no such group currently exists.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces