HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 2:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
Any updates regarding the Fairfield Inn by Marriott near the airport? Is that project dead or on the back burner? No signs of anything yet, it can't open this summer or fall.
As you have noted, there is no visible activity yet, but it is still early in the construction season. An opening by the fall however would seem unlikely.

One interesting thing to consider is that the the politicians are beginning to talk about improving the Harrisville/Dieppe Blvd interchange with Highway 15. This might include a major redesign of the interchange (parclo). If so, the developers might be waiting to see what happens with this before committing to construction.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 12:21 AM

Killam dr roundabout

has there been any word when they might start construction ...i live 2 blocks from there and cant wait to see what kind of crap its gonna cause!!!

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 12:39 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecrazyleafsfan View Post
has there been any word when they might start construction ...i live 2 blocks from there and cant wait to see what kind of crap its gonna cause!!!
City council has approved this project earler this spring. I wonder if construction will be next year.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecrazyleafsfan View Post
The list of 2012 projects for Moncton - no mention of Killam...

http://www.moncton.ca/Government/Cap...s_Projects.htm

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 11:00 PM

How is the Petitcodiac river and the tidal bore these days?

can't wait to go see it again this summer.....

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 12:58 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcage View Post
How is the Petitcodiac river and the tidal bore these days?

can't wait to go see it again this summer.....
The river channel is certainly much deeper than it was before and the tidal bore is much more vigorous. There is no question that it is a healthier river system.

The river however probably won't be as wide as you might have imagined or had hoped for. The river will remain strangulated until they remove the causeway, but at a cost of several tens of millions of dollars, I don't imagine this will ever happen.

Still, the river is a more interesting place than it used to be.....

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 1:24 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is the link to the .pdf for the agenda of the Greater Moncton Planning District Commission monthly meeting for May.

http://www.gmpdc.ca/webcura/files/814.pdf

There are several interesting requests for variances, the most intriguing of which are two requests from Crombie REIT on behalf of Warren Gates Investments to (1) - Reduce the number of public entrances at 1234 Main Street and (2) - Allow for the expansion of a building in excess of 4700 sq metres, again at 1234 Main Street.

This address corresponds to the Terminal Plaza office complex.

I wonder what's afoot here.........

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 4:53 PM

Does anyone know what is being built next to CDN Tire in Riverview?

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 6:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordFalchion View Post
Does anyone know what is being built next to CDN Tire in Riverview?
This has been discussed in the [Moncton] Riverview thread. It will be a strip mall containing a Little Caesars Pizza and perhaps a Swiss Chalet.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 6:01 PM

Not construction-related:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...stuck-949.html

Quote:
RCMP Const. Jeff Agnew said there won't be any charges arising from this incident.

"He was basically following his GPS, and therefore was going blindly, following the GPS, didn't realize how low it was, and collided with The Subway," he said.
Straight from the RCMP. Just drive through anything or anyone, blame a machine (that you're not supposed to use while driving), and you're free to go.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
Straight from the RCMP. Just drive through anything or anyone, blame a machine (that you're not supposed to use while driving), and you're free to go.
When else would you use a GPS device? You program the route and they give you audible directions as you move.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 6:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I've been fooled by GPS devices in the past too.

I agree with Vorkuta, you program the device before you hit the road and listen to the voice instructions, looking briefly at the screen at times when you have to change course (for reference).

Apparently the driver was only working with the trucking company for a few weeks. Inexperience seems to have played a large part in this accident.

It seems to me that these collisions with the subway aren't happening as frequently as they used too....

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 7:15 PM

I understand getting lost somewhere due to invalid directions, but not ignoring what's right in front of you. There are reasons but no excuses. It's a complete cop-out. You cannot blindly follow what a GPS is telling you and then skirt responsibility. This makes it even much worse because he's a professional driver, and there's at least two or three more signs to the east of the overpass.

The guy has been driving for 30 years. If he still believes everything a GPS tells him, and is either too blind to see the numerous warnings, or too negligent to obey them, then he should retire now and make the roads safer for everyone.

What burns the most is the decision from the police to just let it go. What kind of message are they sending to everyday drivers when they just laugh at a professional who does this?

Do you see this happening?

Regular driver: "My wife on my Bluetooth was telling me to park my SUV in this compact parking spot. I wasn't sure, but I did what she said anyway. That's why I hit the other cars, officer."

Cop: LOL

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 8:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good points pierre

I have sympathy for this guy being unfamiliar with Moncton and being led astray by the GPS, but at the same time, there is enough signage on the street that he should have been aware of the low overpass ahead.

He should still have been ticketed.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 9:30 PM

....other than driving without due care and attention, I don't see any other sections of the MVA that would apply.....

But this would be easily arguable that signage is not adequate. All tho there are multiple signs ON the bridge, there is only one sign, just at bonnacord street, that say trucks prohibited and to turn left, then next sign is left turn prohibited....and by the time you see that first height sign 75 feet before the bridge....try stopping a loaded 53 footer at 45-50 km\h with reaction time... good luck.....but by looking at the picture, he has realized too late and could not stop in time...has he had not noticed at all, he would have just opened the top of the trailer like a can of sardines.

All tho some fault can be blamed on the driver, signage is also a big issue, and it has been like this for many years and never corrected.....

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
All tho there are multiple signs ON the bridge, there is only one sign, just at bonnacord street, that say trucks prohibited and to turn left, then next sign is left turn prohibited
I beg to differ. In addition to Bonaccord, there are three other different signs starting from Highfield Square. But this truck actually hit from the east side, and here are the warnings:

@ Steadman (800 m)

@ City Hall (500 m)

@ Mexicali Rosa's (400 m)

@ Robinson (150 m)

@ Lutz (50 m)

I agree with MonctonRad that we hear about this less and less, although I don't know if it's reported everytime it happens.

Anyway, as long as buses and Christmas floats can pass, I hope they never get rid of the 'subway'.

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 12:02 PM

Haaa my mistake, i taught i was coming from highfield side!!

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post

Anyway, as long as buses and Christmas floats can pass, I hope they never get rid of the 'subway'.
I totally disagree. I can only wish they could reroute the rail line outside of town along the TCH.

That subway should be removed and filled in to level Main st. They can then create a new intersection at that corner.

No more rail crossing on Elmwood, Church st, St-George, Victoria, Queen and Lutz.

They can still keep the ViaRail downtown behind Highfield Square because the trains would all come from a new junction point near highway 126. Trains still need to access Industrial Park, so the line is still open. Just a dead end behind Highfield Sq.

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 5:25 PM

does anybody know how old the subway is and what was the expected lifespan??

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 5:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
does anybody know how old the subway is and what was the expected lifespan??
I'm pretty sure it was built in the 1890's and was built to last forever.

I don't imagine we will see the rail lines removed from downtown in our lifetime. To relocate the main line north of the city would be very expensive and it would be very difficult to consolidate a right of way as well (unless you went way far north, like north of Lutes Mountain.

VIA also wouldn't like to see their station on a downtown spur either. If the main line were ever to relocate, the VIA station would move too - like to a "Moncton Junction", just like Fredericton Junction used to be too, about 20 km out of town.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces