HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 3:14 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
There's a BBCode you have to do to embed Youtube videos on the forum.

The code is: [youtube] [youtube ]

Within both of those, you need to copy and paste the numbers and letters that appear after the = sign in your Youtube video link. I've bolded the section in your link that you need.

So, it should look like this [youtube]0BsHjeT2JsU[/youtube ]

Now, just bring in that last bracket after the last e, and you get an active embedded video.

Thanks for the tutorial. I've never had much luck with YouTube videos either but haven't taken the time to look into it more or ask.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 3:15 PM
クラブトクヨ

I like the wish bone design

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 4:16 PM

I hadn't noticed, but at some point the city put up the PER for the Red Line Trail (or at least the segment running alongside Broadmoore between Braker and the NWCT).

https://data.austintexas.gov/stories...rail/yvtu-qijn

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I hadn't noticed, but at some point the city put up the PER for the Red Line Trail (or at least the segment running alongside Broadmoore between Braker and the NWCT).

https://data.austintexas.gov/stories...rail/yvtu-qijn
THat's going to make the walk from the train station to the stadium so easy. Even if they close the Kramer station and only build Broadmore, it's less than a mile walk if you have a straight shot.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 5:35 PM

Cap Metro is installing double track for the RedLine at 183 this Sunday. I didn't realize this segment was in the scope of their current project.

CTRMA is handling the Elroy Rd and Ross Rd projects for Travis County and they just awarded the Elroy reconstruction contract. For reasons I don't really understand, they didn't have the same discretion on contractor as they had with the 183 South and 45 SW projects. They were forced to accept the lowest bid regardless of any lawsuits or any other issues that could exist with the company since they are an approved contractor for TxDot.

Th existing 2-lane road will be reconstructed to 5-lanes with a continuous turn lane, bike lanes and sidewalks.

That part of town is getting a lot of work in the next few years. Frontage roads and overpasses going on 71 between Ross Rd and Kellam Rd

Last edited by freerover; Jul 8, 2019 at 5:51 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 6:02 PM
Meh

My sister lives near Ross Road. That area still feels very rural, but no doubt is going to be the target of more housing. One note, though, that area is prone to flooding. My sister's house has been ok, but their neighborhood had some bad flooding during the Halloween floods a few years ago. People's lawns that Halloween were covered in a mix of Halloween decorations and water soaked belongings. Most of the garages and the rooms nearest to them flooded despite the houses sitting on a slope.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 11:37 PM

Wow, that is cool to see CapMetro adding so much double track to the Red Line, especially with the new downtown station underway. They added more recently just north of the Crestview Station and just south of Lakeline as well. Hopefully they're able to really up the frequency and able to get more people on it.

They did report impressive year-over-year growth so that bodes well for Project Connect
https://capmetro.org/About-Capital-M...es/4294971369/

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 12:12 AM
Resident Moron

Can't wait for more people to move out to Elroy and then complain about noise from the track that is clearly there already.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 12:08 AM

TxDOT has an extensive webcam network on Austin highways, and I added the link to the sticky development & webcam thread. Here's what's going on at I-35 & U.S. 183 right now. I live way south, and seldom get north of downtown, but I drove through here yesterday. It's an impressive project if you're a highway construction nerd.

http://its.txdot.gov/ITS_WEB/FrontEn...=Austin&t=cctv

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 12:49 AM

I just wonder how they’re going to cut into NB183 to add hat ramp connector, or how they’re going to make that bridge less steep.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 5:10 PM
World Traveler

^^ Could be fun to just have a ramp to jump from one to the other, like in a video game...

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleC View Post
I just wonder how they’re going to cut into NB183 to add hat ramp connector, or how they’re going to make that bridge less steep.
Just like you make anything less steep: make it longer. The orange shows you where they are going to start demolishing the old bridge and you can follow the light blue line to see where the ramp will start up. It'll be much closer to St Johns than the current ramp.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 9:33 PM

Leander City Council to consider withdrawing from Capital Metro

https://communityimpact.com/austin/l...capital-metro/
Quote:
Leander City Council may begin the process of withdrawing from Capital Metro’s service area. If the withdrawal were approved by voters, bus and rail service would cease in the city.

An item on council’s July 18 agenda is to authorize the mayor and interim city manager to negotiate an agreement with Leonard B. Smith—an outside attorney—for legal services regarding the “possible withdrawal” from the transit authority.

Capital Metro, a public transportation provider in the Austin metro area, was established by a voter referendum in 1985. Leander is one of the original members of the authority. One percent sales tax levied by the city of Leander and other service members in the Austin area funds the agency.

In Leander, Capital Metro provides MetroExpress bus service and MetroRail service. Services are currently not available on weekends in Leander.

Leander Mayor Troy Hill said he thinks the services the agency provides to Leander are substandard and not worth the amount the city contributes to the agency.

“The fact that we’ve been in it for this long, and they don’t have weekend service, which is the time the majority of residents would want to ride, that’s unacceptable,” Hill said. “I don’t see any reason to be paying a lot for something that isn’t very efficient.”

In order for the city to withdraw from Capital Metro, Leander voters would have to approve the withdrawal, Capital Metro spokeswoman Mariette Hummel said.

“If Leander were to vote to withdraw, Capital Metro must cease all Leander operations,” Hummel said. “That would happen right away.”

If an election took place and voters decided to stay in the transit authority, the city could not hold another election to withdraw for five years, Hummel said. However, a city can join Capital Metro at any time, with approval from the authority’s board.

Leander’s annual contribution to Capital Metro in fiscal year 2017-18 was about $5,133,277, according to Hummel.

RELATED
Austin FC stadium ‘on time so far’ ahead of planned September groundbreaking
Construction on McKalla Stadium, future home to Major League Soccer team Austin FC, remains on schedule to begin in early... >
Leander Station, where people can board the bus and rail in Leander, is located off US 183, north of Hero Way. In spring 2019, the station saw 472 average weekday boardings for MetroExpress buses and the MetroRail from Leander Station, according to data from Capital Metro.

Hill said he believes getting out of Capital Metro would leave the city with more money to pursue other projects, such as economic development.

“We could come up with things that a huge percentage of our public could use,” Hill said. “The major corporations that are going to our sister cities—we would be able to compete for those.”

According to the Texas Transportation Code, if a city withdraws from Capital Metro, it has to pay off a financial obligation over time. A calculation set by the code determines the obligation amount, according to Hummel, who said the amount would have been $9.8 million in 2018.

“That means that the city’s current annual sales tax contributions would help to pay off the obligation in two years,” Hummel said. “They’re not receiving service during that time. They’re paying it off, but they’re not getting anything in return, just the fact that they’ll be able to leave after that.”

Hill said leaving Capital Metro does not mean the city will have to be without it forever.

“I think as [Capital Metro] expands the system, it is going to make it more attractive to cities like Leander,” Hill said. “We’re a young city, and I think everybody needs to just realize that we can get back in at some point when they are better able to give us more options.”
I'm not sure what the net adjustment would be to the cap metro budget if Leander leaves but you're looking at almost 500 more vehicles on the road at once. It would knock of 10 miles cap metro trains have to travel which might allow better service everywhere else without having to buy more trains.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 10:25 PM

Suburbia disturbia

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 8:31 PM

Newly completed double tracking in East Austin between Plaza Saltillo and the MLK station. The Green line track is on the right.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Leander City Council to consider withdrawing from Capital Metro

https://communityimpact.com/austin/l...capital-metro/

I'm not sure what the net adjustment would be to the cap metro budget if Leander leaves but you're looking at almost 500 more vehicles on the road at once. It would knock of 10 miles cap metro trains have to travel which might allow better service everywhere else without having to buy more trains.
There's also the question of what that would do to the Northline TOD project (in Leander), that public private partnership, and the millions of dollars the private developer probably has already spent on it (and the millions of dollars of public money committed to it).

https://www.northlineleander.com/

https://communityimpact.com/austin/l...r-town-square/

Seems like it could get really ugly.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 5:17 PM

Orange line update on types of guideways being considered by section. I seem to remember that elevated transit might have a problem in downtown due to the CVC but that could be wrong.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Orange line update on types of guideways being considered by section. I seem to remember that elevated transit might have a problem in downtown due to the CVC but that could be wrong.
I think it was SoCo that had CVC concerns, since one runs down SoCo almost to Oltorf.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I think it was SoCo that had CVC concerns, since one runs down SoCo almost to Oltorf.
I'd imagine there would be concerns around Woolridge Square too since the CVC dips so low in that area.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 8:41 PM

Re: CVCs — are they waivable in certain cases? Obviously they haven’t been before but could the city or the state or another org make a CVC exception?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin