HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 12, 2006, 4:46 AM

Someone in the know told me that the construction team will set up the security perimeter surrounding the BCBSIL building as in scaffolding, installing temporary elevator shafts, and creating safety measures for the employees, visitors, and construction workers starting in January 2007. The cranes, then, will be erected at the existing rooftop around November 2007 to start the construction phase. It would be ongoing 24/7 all the way tilll early or mid 2010. The additional floors will be occupied in early 2011.

So it comes down to the question of when BCBS is officially u/c? November 2007?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2006, 3:11 PM

Is it possible to add extra floors on an existing building and what's the effect of the infrastructure??? Please PM me!!!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2006, 6:00 PM

Two construction trailers have been placed on the NE side of the BCBS plaza.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2006, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biophilic
Are these trailers on the plaza level, or down below? If they are down at the base of the plaza, they could easily be trailers for AQUA. I'm sure that one of us will check it out.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2006, 10:58 PM

Are the lower floors going to be used by office workers while construction is going on above?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2006, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom
Are the lower floors going to be used by office workers while construction is going on above?
Yes, the building will still be open and occupied.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2006, 11:57 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Hehe I've read about the fun of working at 1 World Trade Center when it opened before top-out in 1971. Though, I don't think the entire BCBS lobby will be boarded up, with the only entrance being a wooden covered bridge over a 70 foot pit with all elevators except bank #1 inoperative, and the toilets probably won't freeze over in winter.

All true occurances for the first two tenants at the world's largest office complex. You can't make up some of the crap they pulled at the WTC.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2006, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
Are these trailers on the plaza level, or down below? If they are down at the base of the plaza, they could easily be trailers for AQUA. I'm sure that one of us will check it out.
Never mind. I drove past a little while ago, and saw that the trailer is on the east side of the building, right next to 340 OtP on the plaza level. Will have to stop by sometime next week to see what the deal is.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 12:16 AM
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by biophilic
September 19, 2006

There's a Walsh sign on one of the doors:

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 5:49 PM
devout Pizzatarian

from today's Tribune:

No glass ceiling: Blue Cross to rise another 25 stories

By Blair Kamin
Tribune architecture critic
Published September 20, 2006

Since it opened in 1997, the mostly glass-sheathed Blue Cross-Blue Shield office building at 300 E. Randolph St. has looked a bit too squat for the high-profile site it occupies at Grant Park's northern edge. But then its chunkiness was never intended to be permanent.

When architect Jim Goettsch designed the 32-story tower for the firm of Lohan Associates more than a decade ago, the foundations were made strong enough to support another 25 stories if Health Care Service Corp. and its Illinois division, Blue Cross-Blue Shield of Illinois, ever decided to expand.

I never thought it would happen.

Yet it is, as the Tribune recently reported.

This addition represents more than a structural feat. It's good news for the skyline, as the "before and after" renderings provided by Goettsch's current firm, Goettsch Partners, strongly suggest.

When the addition is completed in 2010, the high-rise will assume a pleasing new verticality. As a bonus, its taller mass joins with the Aon Center and nearby condo towers to better shape the continuous wall of buildings that is visible from both Grant Park and, within it, Millennium Park.

Oh, yes, since the building is often used as a nighttime billboard, its lights conveying messages such as "Sox Pride," there will now be extra room for words when one of Chicago's sports teams finds itself in postseason play.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 4:00 PM

I'm surprised some of the higher floors aren't being constructed as condos.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 4:26 PM

I don't think BCBSIL intended to make additional floors as condo because it owns the whole building. Probably few floors will be subleased to outside firm.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2006, 5:50 PM
BANNED

I agree that this does crowd 340 somewhat, but I think its worth it. I mean in 5-10 years that whole few blocks on the north of Millenium park is going to be skyscraper heaven. With Mandrin and Aqua, BCBS, 340, and those supposed 8 or 9 hundred footers in Lakeshore East, being built up around 2 Prudential and Aon, this is going to be one dense block of buildings. The most interesting part of this will be the fact that this area is bordered on two sides by a sheer drop, Millenium on the south and that Lakeshore East park on the East. That should make for one impressive view! I look forward to it!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2006, 4:34 AM

Someone in the know told me that the fencing off the north plaza will occur on Saturday. The landscaping items and the metal benches that are situated there will be moved to a temporary location. Essentially, the plaza will remain closed till end of 2008 or early 2009.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2006, 4:07 PM
Registered

^ Take a good look at it now in its present (awesome) state... the market at LSE is going to mess the whole thing up, I think. The market should be done before the plaza is reopened.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2006, 6:37 AM

The plaza behind BCBS is going to be closed as of 10/22. . . spoke to my friend there who indicated they were going to start construction shortly. . .

Old Posted Oct 21, 2006, 6:38 AM
tilted & shifted

I didn't think this was going to happen so quickly.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2006, 4:25 PM

I heard that we won't be seeing any vertical construction until this coming spring. They will be erecting steel in the atrium area first, to build new elevators. Once they finish that, then we'll see the tower crane and more steel going up.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2006, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Oh, yes, since the building is often used as a nighttime billboard, its lights conveying messages such as "Sox Pride," there will now be extra room for words when one of Chicago's sports teams finds itself in postseason play.
Does anyone have any pictures of this?
I'd like to imagine what a giant U S A would look like for the 2016 olympics.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2006, 6:12 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive