HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 19, 2006, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1
My comment was directed toward the developers view on Buckhead, there's no getting around it, it's just the way it is. Look at when Park Avenue Condo's were built? I would be mad if they started building stuff in the Cathedral Hill neighborhood here in St. Paul, when they could just continue to add onto downtown. I honostly think it's kinda insane that they are trying to develop a third skyline when Atlanta already has Midtown and Downtown. Why not fill in more gaps in that area and make one mega skyline? Those are awesome buildings that are under development in Buckhead, and I am glad to see them getting built, they are just being built in a weird location. I could see midtown having Terminus, Mansion on Peachtree, 3344, ect...........
I think its great that Buckhead is getting these buildings and I don't feel it should be in Midtown. I'm sure there were people in the late 80's and 90's with the same attitudes towards Midtown when it was nothing there. They were probably saying that everything should be built in Downtown. As far as architecture, I could see 1180 fitting more in Buckhead than in Midtown.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2006, 7:07 PM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania
I think its great that Buckhead is getting these buildings and I don't feel it should be in Midtown. I'm sure there were people in the late 80's and 90's with the same attitudes towards Midtown when it was nothing there. They were probably saying that everything should be built in Downtown. As far as architecture, I could see 1180 fitting more in Buckhead than in Midtown.
good point

Old Posted Jun 20, 2006, 4:20 PM

Quote:
My comment was directed toward the developers view on Buckhead, there's no getting around it, it's just the way it is. Look at when Park Avenue Condo's were built? I would be mad if they started building stuff in the Cathedral Hill neighborhood here in St. Paul, when they could just continue to add onto downtown. I honostly think it's kinda insane that they are trying to develop a third skyline when Atlanta already has Midtown and Downtown. Why not fill in more gaps in that area and make one mega skyline? Those are awesome buildings that are under development in Buckhead, and I am glad to see them getting built, they are just being built in a weird location. I could see midtown having Terminus, Mansion on Peachtree, 3344, ect...........
I agree, I mean I like the fact that in 100 years Atlanta will have an enormous skyline going all the way from Downtown to Buckhead, but I will not live to see it. This is why I would have preferred to have all the development more dense near the core.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2006, 4:27 PM
Back on the road again

Curious Atlantan, depending on how old you are, and barring an unfortunate illness or accident, you may well indeed live to see it. I think back to how Atlanta looked when I moved here in 1974, and how it looks now, 32 years later, and if that same change occurs again over the next 32 years, it will be a continuous skyline from Buckhead to Downtown along the Peachtree corridor, and with some east-west components too, such as Atlantic Station and perhaps Lindbergh. I certainly don't think it's gonna take anywhere close to 100 years to have the three appear as substantially one skyline. We are pretty close to that already with downtown/midtown.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2006, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD
Curious Atlantan, depending on how old you are, and barring an unfortunate illness or accident, you may well indeed live to see it. I think back to how Atlanta looked when I moved here in 1974, and how it looks now, 32 years later, and if that same change occurs again over the next 32 years, it will be a continuous skyline from Buckhead to Downtown along the Peachtree corridor, and with some east-west components too, such as Atlantic Station and perhaps Lindbergh. I certainly don't think it's gonna take anywhere close to 100 years to have the three appear as substantially one skyline. We are pretty close to that already with downtown/midtown.
You know all it takes is for the Brookhaven area to get 3 or 4 skyscrapers and on picture you should pretty much have a continuosly skyline from Midtown to Buckhead. That's just something to think about.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2006, 11:22 PM

Quote:
it will be a continuous skyline from Buckhead to Downtown along the Peachtree corridor, and with some east-west components too, such as Atlantic Station and perhaps Lindbergh
maybe even all the way to the Mall of Georgia??/ how many miles is that?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2006, 11:29 PM
Back on the road again

woohoo ATLBlaxican!! ...no one can accuse you of not having a grand and vivid imagination! Continuous to the Mall of Georgia...now THAT could take 100 or more years to accomplish! That would be a 30 mile skyline! Is there anywhere in the world with a 30 mile continuous skyline??

Old Posted Jun 23, 2006, 6:46 AM
JoeCooper

Both this project and "The Mansion on Peachtree" took forever to break ground, now that they are, they are working at an incredable rate! According to the photo showing the cassion drillings, hopefully we can see something rise above street level by this fall!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2006, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Both this project and "The Mansion on Peachtree" took forever to break ground, now that they are, they are working at an incredable rate! According to the photo showing the cassion drillings, hopefully we can see something rise above street level by this fall!
Maybe 3344, but The MOP has such a big hole, is just like Gallery. Gallery also has a huge hole.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2006, 6:48 AM
JoeCooper

The Mansion on Peachtree reminds me of the Waterview Tower U/C in Chicago, both have such a small site.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2006, 6:50 AM

Hello

Hello, I am new to this forum.
Looks like you all know a lot about Atlanta.

Would anyone possibly know who the developer of the Ovation Condos is?
(3040 Peachtree Road, right near ESPN Zone)

http://www.ovationbuckhead.com/

Old Posted Jun 26, 2006, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation
Hello, I am new to this forum.
Looks like you all know a lot about Atlanta.

Would anyone possibly know who the developer of the Ovation Condos is?
(3040 Peachtree Road, right near ESPN Zone)

http://www.ovationbuckhead.com/
I've heard my friends that will be moving in say the TRC Group before...

On 3344, there appears to be basement level walls being formed up from what I saw a few days back. Not sure today's rain will allow them to do much if anything though...

Old Posted Jul 11, 2006, 6:01 PM

There is now visible work above street level going on and at lunch, it looked like there was significant activity going on. Sorry no pics to post, maybe somebody will follow with some shots...

Old Posted Jul 11, 2006, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Atlantan
I agree, I mean I like the fact that in 100 years Atlanta will have an enormous skyline going all the way from Downtown to Buckhead, but I will not live to see it. This is why I would have preferred to have all the development more dense near the core.
It will never be one huge cluster of building, but more like LA's Wilshire corridoor. If you can count a "string" skyscrapers along a single road, then you might as well count Chicago's Lake Shore Drive and then the skyscraper cluster would extend nearly up to Evanston.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2006, 7:00 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70
It will never be one huge cluster of building, but more like LA's Wilshire corridoor. If you can count a "string" skyscrapers along a single road, then you might as well count Chicago's Lake Shore Drive and then the skyscraper cluster would extend nearly up to Evanston.
trvlr70, I appreciate the point you are making, and Atlanta's skyline will never compare to the likes of NYC and Chicago; however, I believe your post is a tad needlessly disparaging. Downtown, Midtown and Buckhead are already far from linear, along a single road, as you characterize it. Downtown and Midtown have considerable east-west dimension to them, most notably Midtown, as Atlantic Station continues to fill in, and Buckhead also is not along a single street, with skyscrapers lining the Buckhead loop and extending south along Lenox Road, and north along Piedmont Road. While its true that we are talking about filling in the gaps in a largely linear fashion, namely, along Peachtree Street/Road/Boulevard, Atlanta's multi-part skyline already in its present form can not be considered linear, and further development will make it even less so.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2006, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD
trvlr70, I appreciate the point you are making, and Atlanta's skyline will never compare to the likes of NYC and Chicago; however, I believe your post is a tad needlessly disparaging. Downtown, Midtown and Buckhead are already far from linear, along a single road, as you characterize it. Downtown and Midtown have considerable east-west dimension to them, most notably Midtown, as Atlantic Station continues to fill in, and Buckhead also is not along a single street, with skyscrapers lining the Buckhead loop and extending south along Lenox Road, and north along Piedmont Road. While its true that we are talking about filling in the gaps in a largely linear fashion, namely, along Peachtree Street/Road/Boulevard, Atlanta's multi-part skyline already in its present form can not be considered linear, and further development will make it even less so.
Oh, so sorry. I'm a former resident and big fan of the city. I used to want all the buildings to be in downtown myself, but now Atlanta's pattern of skyscrapers is unique to the city and creates and very interesting urban fabric.

But, I still tend to think Buckhead's skyscrapers sit mostly along Peachtree and I hope it continues that way. Buckhead still retains some very gracious neighborhoods that I wouldn't dream of distrurbing.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2006, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70
While I certainly agree that Atlanta's skylines currently follow a fairly linear pattern, please remember that we're talking about what ATL might look like many years from now. There are already clear indications that ATL's skylines are beginning to spread east and west of the Peachtree corridor. Several projects are either sprouting or about to sprout around Centennial Park in Downtown, Midtown projects are rising or planned from Piedmont Park to Atlantic Station, and Buckhead has countless 40-plus story towers on the way, many of which will be located well off of Peachtree.

I think ATL will have a remarkable skyline as it matures and becomes increasingly more dense.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2006, 4:27 PM

I drove past today and it looks to definitely be out of the ground now.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2006, 10:42 AM

Drove by this weekend and it looks like the crane is up.

Second crane up at Gallery, too.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2006, 2:14 PM

So I noticed today that "Sovereign" a.k.a. 3344 Peachtree has a new web site
http://www.sovereignbuckhead.com/.
It has some cool 360 angles of the building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive