HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 12:47 AM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

I don't mean to sound condescending; but I trust you know that I mean changing color on the fly, as it were.

Speaking of which, I'd love to see in the future Lady Chrysler's crown have the same thing going on, except that whatever dynamic schemes they youse---get it??---be as elegant and noble as the tower.

And do the same for the Verrrrrrazzzzzano Narrows Bridge. San Francisco should not be getting all the attention there.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 12:56 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 20, 2019 at 1:14 AM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 2:33 AM

Beautiful series NYguy.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 4:08 AM

Balls of titanium for the two guys on top of the spire there. Ain't enough money in the world for me to do something like that.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 9:05 AM

We have a new champion!

I'm especially pleased that Manhattan's miserable borough president, who had the gall not only to show her face at the groundbreaking, but to break dirt with the others - despite badmouthing this brilliant building beforehand - was not invited to the topping out ceremony.

Bring on a Grand Hyatt megatall I say.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 12:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoM Trespasser View Post
Beautiful series NYguy.
This tower will be contributing to some great shots for years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man435 View Post
Balls of titanium for the two guys on top of the spire there. Ain't enough money in the world for me to do something like that.
Always amazing what they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
I'm especially pleased that Manhattan's miserable borough president, who had the gall not only to show her face at the groundbreaking, but to break dirt with the others - despite badmouthing this brilliant building beforehand - was not invited to the topping out ceremony.

Bring on a Grand Hyatt megatall I say.

Just a throwback to that great day:

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 12:17 PM

After topped out cpt and one vandy and steinway tower what next for new york city i hope something above 2100ft is comming like a plan that we have see in time square .

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 1:07 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Good to see DeBlasio finally within the NYC city limits and not in Iowa. He does look delusional and half-asleep. He's been gone for so long that I think he forgot that NYC existed.

Nevertheless, back to reality Deblasio.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLuver View Post
The spire is actually lit up! Shocking! Haha. Didn't think it would be. I believe its blue!
Why did you think it wouldn't be lit? I don't think there's a tower in NYC that has a spire that isn't lit, especially if it's aesthetic.

My guess is the whole top of the crown will be lit in some way. The renderings seemed to indicate as much.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 3:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEPman View Post
Why did you think it wouldn't be lit? I don't think there's a tower in NYC that has a spire that isn't lit, especially if it's aesthetic.

My guess is the whole top of the crown will be lit in some way. The renderings seemed to indicate as much.

I think he just meant so soon. I didn't think it would be lit as soon either, and dismissed it as some other building when I first saw it. By tge way, the entire crown will be lit. It will be of similar fashion to the Empire State.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 3:56 PM

Quote:

Actually, I guess i'm forgetting that Chrysler's isn't lit. Always seems like it's lit when I picture it in my head for some reason.

In any case, it'll be interesting to see how it looks with the crown lit. I'm still not 100% sold on the massing of this tower since the height cut. The cut basically affected the way in which the tower gradually narrows to it's tip. Instead of a graceful narrowing, it now ends kind of abruptly.

I'm hoping that the lighting doesn't highlight this in an awkward way. It already looks kind of funky in some pics, where the broadness of the tower is evident from the construction lights, which is only a short distance below a very slim spire.

Overall though, I like it. One of my favorite new buildings in NYC for sure.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 4:12 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Actually, I guess i'm forgetting that Chrysler's isn't lit. Always seems like it's lit when I picture it in my head for some reason.

In any case, it'll be interesting to see how it looks with the crown lit. I'm still not 100% sold on the massing of this tower since the height cut. The cut basically affected the way in which the tower gradually narrows to it's tip. Instead of a graceful narrowing, it now ends kind of abruptly.

I'm hoping that the lighting doesn't highlight this in an awkward way. It already looks kind of funky in some pics, where the broadness of the tower is evident from the construction lights, which is only a short distance below a very slim spire.

Overall though, I like it. One of my favorite new buildings in NYC for sure.

agreed. we knew the resolution of the upper portion of one vandy could be underwhelming and awkward. however, underground is amazing, the base is fantastic, the middle is very nice and the ceramic and the rest of the materials are stunning quality up close. so all around its at the very least 3/4 perfect or more of a tower.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 4:13 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 4:15 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ yeow now that is bright -- very inspiring!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 6:02 PM
Astorian

Yeah over at Yimby, they already showed someone posting on twitter from Long Island City, complaining that the spire is too bright and they want it dimmer.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 6:42 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ they are probably just testing it out at various umm, luminosities, but of course people will complain right off - ha.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 7:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLuver View Post
Yeah over at Yimby, they already showed someone posting on twitter from Long Island City, complaining that the spire is too bright and they want it dimmer.
Those people can go jump in the east river.

This is what I want to see...

lensepix

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 12:59 AM
Meh

Man, this is a great building. A proper New York supertall. I think this one will eventually become an icon maybe even on the level of the Empire State and Chrysler Buildings. It just has that old New York charm to it.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 4:09 AM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 21, 2019 at 4:54 AM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 6:43 AM

Oh my god this is so beautiful, great pics everyone

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive