HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 14, 2011, 11:44 PM

nice, very nice indeed. i also love the way the glass colors contrast with the cladding with near perfect effect. flawless imo.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
Its lit from a setback on the school.
Is it being actively lit yet? There are no pictures that show the lighting.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 12:21 PM
New Yorker for life

rlj

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 5:41 AM
New Yorker for life

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....uous-firs.html

Gehry's rollicking tower: From the architect of Chicago's Pritzker Pavilion, a sensuous first skyscraper in Manhattan

BY BLAIR KAMIN
August 26, 2011

Quote:
Frank Gehry's new 8 Spruce Street apartment tower may be the most delicious piece of eye candy to hit the Manhattan skyline since the Chrysler Building. It is also a very expensive place to live. A 450-square-foot studio rents for at least $2,600 a month, and the asking price for a three-bedroom penthouse apartment is expected to be somewhere around $25,000 a month.

The 76-story high-rise, Gehry's first skyscraper, is wrapped in a sensuous exterior of stainless steel that ripples like folds of drapery and brilliantly catches the light. There is nothing else quite like it, though the building bears similarities to Jeanne Gang's spectacularly undulating, 81-story Aqua residential and hotel tower in Chicago.

But to linger solely on 8 Spruce Street's strikingly crumpled skin is to miss this skyscraper's deeper appeal. Based on a recent tour I took, it also appears to be a welcoming, pleasantly quirky place to live. Gehry, in other words, has given us the total package, not a slick facade job where the architecture only runs a few inches deep...

Comparison to Aqua

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 4:30 PM

Question:
When buildings are all sealed up like this tower, and have invidual HVAC units (http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....c157970d-800wi), how does fresh air come in?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 4:44 PM

I actually like this more than the Freedom Tower. Hopefully Gehry will show his hometown some love too. I'd love to see somthing similar in T.O

Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
I actually like this more than the Freedom Tower. Hopefully Gehry will show his hometown some love too. I'd love to see somthing similar in T.O
lol! something of the same quality of this tower in Toronto would be AMAZING!
but heck, we will soon have the tallest all-residential tower in North America! (Aura)... EAT IT NY!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 11:09 PM

Not to encourage a pissing contest, but isn't this tower taller than then the Aura? This website lists Aura's height as 827 ft versus NY by Gehry's 870 ft.

Regardless, Extell's residential tower on West 57th Street is well on its way to 1,005 feet.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2011, 11:24 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by banned View Post
Question:
When buildings are all sealed up like this tower, and have invidual HVAC units (http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....c157970d-800wi), how does fresh air come in?
A single central air intake, which distributes air to all of the units.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Not to encourage a pissing contest, but isn't this tower taller than then the Aura? This website lists Aura's height as 827 ft versus NY by Gehry's 870 ft.

Regardless, Extell's residential tower on West 57th Street is well on its way to 1,005 feet.
they plan on having a height increase, that should bring it around 270m, but as it stands on the diagrams page, it is 264m vs Beekman's 267m, but it's close!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 3:15 PM
New Yorker for life

It's about time for that new thread...

Eric in SF

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 7:18 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

God, I love that neo-gothic red building in the foreground. The shorter buildings on the right, however, are ripe for redevelopment, in my opinion. Nothing worth saving that hasn't already been ruined by Canon ads. And this is coming from an avid Canon user.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 7:56 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It's about time for that new thread...
well, obviously someone has to spend some time for making a new thread. if it's not up by tomorrow I'll do it, no problem.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 8:31 PM
BROOKLYN

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
God, I love that neo-gothic red building in the foreground. The shorter buildings on the right, however, are ripe for redevelopment, in my opinion. Nothing worth saving that hasn't already been ruined by Canon ads. And this is coming from an avid Canon user.
I don't think J&R is going anywhere anytime soon.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2011, 5:31 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey View Post
I don't think J&R is going anywhere anytime soon.
And they better not, it's one of my favorite stores, though I do wish all departments were in one building.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2011, 12:07 PM
don't *meddle*...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive