HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Capital Pointe in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Regina Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 6:31 PM

Vancouver's Private Residences at Hotel Georgia (Rosewood Hotel Georgia) took about a year to complete excavating 50 m deep (according to info provided from the link) for its foundation (deepest excavation in Vancouver, due to the small footprint size of the 48-floors project, to accommodate all of the hotel/residences/business office parking) and constructing an 8 level underground garage structure from about 2008 to 2009. According to posts on "The Georgia" section in this SSP forum, excavation took about 6 or 7 months -- from about Apr/2008 to Sep/2008 -- and reached grade by May/2009. PRHG was essentially complete 3 years later.

I imagine CP will be digging deeper than 50 ft (15 m) for its foundation, maybe not as deep proportionally to the HG project. I don't know how much the differences in foundation construction between each project would affect CP's timeline, as HG's foundation is probably anchored differently than CP's. But CP's foundation is significantly shallower than HG's so hopefully they can complete CP up to ground level within the year, and start building above ground soon after that!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 6:39 PM

Alternatively, they dig a 50ft hole and abandon it after people don't flock to the project.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Alternatively, they dig a 50ft hole and abandon it after people don't flock to the project.
Digging it's own grave.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
How deep is the hole going to be after digging down for five stories? At the rate theyre going the hole wont be done by summers end it seems.
. . . . and I would bet you guys that nothing will protrude above the ground until spring, '17. Lol!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike328 View Post
In some of the pictures posted a few weeks ago they had two on site. Not sure why they took one away.
Another excavator was dropped off about an hour ago.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Another excavator was dropped off about an hour ago.
Theres two on site now but i havent seen them both going at the same time. Kind of defeats the purpose

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Theres two on site now but i havent seen them both going at the same time. Kind of defeats the purpose
Two excavators but only one operator perhaps?

Some updates from their Twitter:
Capital Pointe ‏@Capital_Pointe 20 hours ago
A few photos from the site on March 30. Starting to dig down. #underconstruction

And video:

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 1:38 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
When I walked by in the early afternoon, I thought both were going, mind, I didn't watch too long.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 2:29 AM

I suspect that there will be something like this going on. I can't imagine how else they would get 50' down. The other towers were about 30, and the logistics seemed difficult for me to comprehend. Source; Dredgesource.com

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
When I walked by in the early afternoon, I thought both were going, mind, I didn't watch too long.
It was also a friday afternoon when i was watching so that may explain it. Regardless even with one operator trucks were moving fairly quickly.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 9:29 PM

I guess that means afterward, they'll crane back up the excavator(s) that remains in the pit that does the deep digging! Did they do that for any of the Hill or other towers?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 1:51 PM

It looks like the one excavator is broken down , they really need two of these digging , what a site to see though

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 5:39 PM

There is currently a semi being unloaded on site that had several stacks of wood on it. Not sure what the intended use is at this point in time.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 5:52 PM

Probably for the shoring. As they dig down around the outside, they'll slide the timbers between the soldier piles that were installed.

Edit: Just looked at the cam and that lumber looks to be too long for shoring. Must just be for general framing works. Maybe they're putting up more fencing or some hoarding or something.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 2:47 PM

A long long flat bed truck just delivered a long piece of something which the crane just lifted. I really have no clue what the darn it was, kind of looked like a large black chunk of fencing or a long black staircase, I couldn't really see lol.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
A long long flat bed truck just delivered a long piece of something which the crane just lifted. I really have no clue what the darn it was, kind of looked like a large black chunk of fencing or a long black staircase, I couldn't really see lol.
Guessing its the thing sitting in the northwest corner of the site?

Anyone know why they have a crane truck on site but never use it. Anytime they have something big delivered another crane truck comes and leaves. Seems like it just takes up space.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 10:41 PM

You can see the big I beams already in the ground. Also there are stacks of Shoring planks ready to go. This picture is from Thursday.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 9:22 PM

The lumber they have on site in that picture(on the left side) is not for shoring, it's 2x4 lumber. But it does look to be for the guard rail that will go at the top of the shoring. In the foreground of the picture, note the rickety railing. The timbers for shoring are likely 4x4's or 6x6's or something like that, rough lumber. Also with the deep excavation, the piles look rather large. So they may need some other form of large lumber to fill the gap.

Pretty sure they pounded in all the soldier piles (vertical steel beams), as you've noted Stormer. So looks like they're gearing up for the big dig sometime real soon.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 9:34 PM

I would expect it to look something like this. 4" or 6" thick lumber. These ones are maybe 10" tall.

Source: http://blog.buildllc.com/wp-content/...03-process.jpg

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The lumber they have on site in that picture(on the left side) is not for shoring, it's 2x4 lumber. But it does look to be for the guard rail that will go at the top of the shoring. In the foreground of the picture, note the rickety railing. The timbers for shoring are likely 4x4's or 6x6's or something like that, rough lumber. Also with the deep excavation, the piles look rather large. So they may need some other form of large lumber to fill the gap.

Pretty sure they pounded in all the soldier piles (vertical steel beams), as you've noted Stormer. So looks like they're gearing up for the big dig sometime real soon.
Sorry my picture is not all that clear. Those timbers are huge and look just like the ones used in other downtown projects. There is a scale issue. Look at the size of the man in the loader for reference.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan