HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 5:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo View Post
There is no hate on the web.

Great link, Migs. I certainly hope that no one from Regina creates such an asinine group.
They won't because nobody in Regina cares about Saskatoon.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 4:08 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-MAN View Post

I think some good beach nightclubs, kind of miami type resort town with a couple of good highrises would create good buisness atmosphere

who knows, playboy magazine could back it up
I heard there were proposals for condos going up in Gimili... have these proposals move closer to reality?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 7:07 PM
Saskatchewan's Largest

You dudes are too funny. Anyway, I think most missed my point. I think the article is trash because it generalized most Saskatoonians as having this unnecessary hate for Regina, which I find to be completely bull. All of my friends, including myself like Regina and like going to Regina for Rider games and such. As well, most intelligent people know that Saskatoon gets it's fair share of Government coin, even if we tend to joke and complain a little. And even though Migs found a juvenile facebook group, (nice investigative journalism btw) that sort of attitude towards Regina is in my opinion minor. So to have a "feature" cover article by both papers on that subject is what makes our papers mere amateur publications. I would see the following as a more factual new story that could stir up some healthy debate between the two cities, not the trashy hearsay touted as a feature.

City leads Sask. job creation
Employment in province up by 5,300; breaks September record

Neil Scott, Saskatchewan News Network; With files from; Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Published: Saturday, October 06, 2007

REGINA -- Saskatchewan experienced another record-breaking month for jobs in September, with Saskatoon leading the parade and Regina lagging behind.

Data released by Statistics Canada Friday indicated employment provincewide was up by 5,300 jobs last month, compared with September of last year.

A total of 504,400 people had jobs, which is the highest total for the month of September in the province's history.

Between August and September, Statistics Canada's seasonally adjusted numbers show employment growing by 1,200 workers from 134,000 to 135,200 full- and part-time workers.

The non-adjusted figures show the workforce even higher at 137,700 which is 7,500 more people working than in September of 2006. With the job growth of the past month, the unemployment rate in Saskatoon has dropped from 4.8 per cent in August to 4.2 per cent currently.

The seasonally adjusted unemployment rate for September was down to 3.8 per cent from 4.2 per cent in September of last year and from 4.9 per cent in August this year.

Doug Elliott, an independent observer who publishes the Sask Trends Monitor newsletter, said the September numbers represent "quite a jump" in employment.

The numbers are "quite a bit better than I expected," Elliott said.

Elliott, who had been worried recently that job growth might start slowing down, said there was no sign of that slowdown in the September numbers.

But Elliott said most of the recent growth has been in Saskatoon and employment in Regina has actually dropped compared with this time last year.

The Statistics Canada data indicates that employment in the Regina-Moose Mountain region is down by 3,300 jobs over the last three months compared to the same three-month period last year.

But employment in the Saskatoon-Biggar area was up by 8,300 jobs.

Elliott said the job growth appears to be occurring as the province's booming construction and resource industries are producing spin off jobs in service and other industries.

Saskatchewan now effectively has full employment, Elliott said, adding that labour shortages continue to be an issue.

Elliott said he doesn't know for sure why employment growth has been faster in Saskatoon than Regina.

Finance Minister Pat Atkinson had no answer either, when asked about the Saskatoon versus Regina difference.

But Atkinson, in a telephone interview Friday, said the overall job picture in the province "is phenomenal," and she is pleased to see that the job numbers for September were the highest for that month in the province's history.

September represented the 18th consecutive month that the province has posted record numbers for jobs, in a month over month comparison, Atkinson said.

With rumours persisting that a provincial election will soon be called, Atkinson said the government "will be happy to talk about our record," on job creation and other issues.

A re-elected NDP government will be committed to taking further steps -- including recruiting more workers and enhancing training opportunities -- to further boost Saskatchewan's economy, Atkinson said.

MLA Ken Cheveldayoff, who commented Friday on behalf of the Opposition Saskatchewan Party, said the Saskatchewan Party is happy the employment numbers are up.

But employment growth in Saskatchewan continues to lag behind the other Western provinces, Cheveldayoff said.

Saskatchewan needs a long-term plan for economic growth, he said, adding that "people will not be fooled," because there's been a bit of an increase of jobs recently.

The Saskatchewan Party will be unveiling proposals to improve economic growth as the anticipated election campaign unfolds, Cheveldayoff said.

The 3.4 per cent (seasonally unadjusted) unemployment rate in Saskatchewan last month was the second lowest in the country, with only Alberta (3.3 per cent) having a lower rate.

The national unemployment rate last month was 5.5 per cent.

Kent Smith-Windsor of the Greater Saskatoon Chamber of Commerce says the growing number of industry clusters such as ag biotech, food processing and mining help explain Saskatoon's growth spurt. While the chamber has tracked several months this year where job growth went flat or even retreated in Saskatoon, the numbers have been on a positive upswing since late summer. The chamber has set an annual goal of 8,000 jobs for the city to have the potential to create enough jobs to hold secondary and post-secondary graduates.

"We had a couple of months negative. We had a modest gain in August and a pretty solid gain this month," he said. "What we have been watching very carefully is the growth in the labour force."

Smith-Windsor says one reason Saskatoon is gaining and Regina may be retreating is the type of jobs and local tax policy.

"What is the difference? It's the diversity of the economy and some of the property tax improvements the city has made."

He says the Conference Board of Canada picked Saskatoon as having Canada's fastest growing economy late this summer before wheat soared past $9 a bushel. He says the potential is there for a fair number of farmers to boost spending as a layer of extra economic activity on top of what's already happening in Saskatoon.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 4:32 PM

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpo...es/index.html#
Quote:
Regina's downtown the heart of the matter

Cam Fuller
Saskatchewan News Network

Saturday, October 13, 2007

REGINA -- My orders weren't terribly specific: go to Regina and write something about arts and culture. Naturally, my thoughts turned to the Milky Way and Maxwell's Amusements. I have fond memories of both cultural institutions. The Milky Way is to ice cream stands what Sardi's to the New York theatre. If it's summer and you need a cone and you don't mind line-ups or Victoria Avenue traffic whizzing by, you simply must indulge. And Maxwell's, home of the coolest over-under go-kart track around, is the fastest way you'll ever find to turn a $20 bill into greenhouse gas.

Of course, the editors were probably after something higher-of-brow to compare Saskatchewan's sibling cities. I'm reluctant to nurture the rivalry, however. The reason: I (heart) Regina. It's true. That's where I got my journalism degree, which has gotten me into countless free movies over the past two decades. And that's where I found my future wife. Besotted by that fabulous brunette, my every trip there was something to celebrate. So, no, I can't find it in my heart to manufacture reasons why Saskatoon should occupy a higher place than Regina on a culture vulture's soul-enriching-things-to-do list. In fact, after two recent trips, I'm prepared to declare a draw.

Trip 1: A Buck-65 Worth of Dry Cleaning. Saskatoon prides itself on its summer festivals: Children's, Jazz, Fringe, Shakespeare and on and on. But Regina boasts the Regina Folk Festival, Western Canada's longest-running music festival. The 38th annual, held Aug. 10 to 12, promised, and delivered, a good vibe and wide range of music. The roster of headliners alone was amazing: Bruce Cockburn, the Ernest Hemingway of Canuck folkies, Blue Rodeo, Sarah Slean, a demented Mexican party band called Los De Abajo and on and on. Like Saskatoon's Jazz festival, the genre of music promised by the event's title is almost laughably expanded upon by organizers. Folk never looks like a bigger umbrella than when it encompasses pop, country, rock and rap. Thus, when art-film-soundtrack band the Hylozoists take the stage with nary a dulcimer to be seen, there's no stampede to the box office for refunds.

The 2007 line-up happened to also feature a high concentration of Saskatoon berries: Sexually Attracted to Fire, Carbon Dating Service, Maybe Smith and Eekwol. Naturally, the S'toon-booster in me gloated.

The location is as much a draw as the content, since the event takes place in the heart of downtown in beautiful, tree-filled Victoria Park. It's a fabulous spot -- self-contained, highly visible and easy to get to (especially if you're booked into the buccolic splendour of the the Hotel Sask across the street, nyuk, nyuk). It can't be easy for organizers to squeeze everything into that city block of greenspace but it's all there, marred only by a maze of construction fencing: food court, craft village, box office, mainstage, beer garden, mini-stages.

I yacked a bit with the ticket sales people and noted a mixture of friendliness, excitement and civic pride in the air, an encouraging sign of a healthy community.

Unfamiliar with the local customs, I traded my ticket for an ink stamp on the back of the hand (a brilliant move, it turned out) and set off for, naturally, the food. I spurned the mini-doughnuts, a unique Regina cuisine from days of yore, and headed for the hippest looking hippy trailer I could find. There, I attempted to order something called "bliss balls." Turns out they were out. I settled for a zucchini square -- cake laced with walnuts.

Minutes later, my bliss turned to despair when I saw a massive line-up at the gate. I fell in behind and inched forward until I was standing beside a statue of John A. MacDonald. He was holding a bronze scroll out to me. I wished it were a press pass -- or at least the recipe for bliss balls.

Suddenly, a festival volunteer (there are 500 of them) walked by and happened to see my hand stamp. He cheerily informed me that I could walk right in through the other gate. Surely, this is the best-run festival ever!

I waltzed in in time to see the lovely Miss Sarah Slean from the close-up vantage point of the front-of-stage standing area. (Hilariously, I see myself in the Leader-Post photo the next day).

Since nothing says "folk music'' like Canadian hip-hop, I made sure I returned to the stage near the end of the night for Buck 65. Rhyming "oranges'' with "gorgeous'' -- hey, not bad! -- Buck got through most of his set before a Class IV Prairie storm whipped up, dumping biblical amounts of rain on the crowd. Buck 65 worried about his brand new laptop frying but vowed to play on (right on, man!) The die hards (the ones not squatting under the beer garden tables) got gladly drenched. It was their own little Victoria Park Woodstock.

Later, the storm survivors reconvened at the "Solid Gold After Party'' at the antediluvian Legion Hall on Cornwall Street. Dallas Green's City and Colour, which was supposed to finish the night outside, was hurriedly slotted in. Sadly, that bumped Carbon Dating Service off the bill. It's sad also because Green's only good song was a cover of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down," the rest being tuneless mournful wailing. Still, the cool kids, wearing their soaked t-shirts as badges of honour, seemed to love it all -- except for the one yelling "you suck." Of course, he might have been being ironic.

In addition to the Friday storm, the folk fest had to contend with a power outage on the closing night. But it still shone as a wonderful community event with a lot of different thigs going for it. There's an honest attempt to break down the barrier between performers and fans. It's big enough to be interesting but small enough to take it all in. And the fab location sets it all off.

Trip 2 -- Around the Globe in 80 Pints. It's almost impossible for a Saskatoon drama maven to imagine: professional theatre in the heart of downtown. For 30 years, Saskatoon audiences have forgiven the eccentricities of their suburban Persephone Theatre. The trade-off was almost worth it. You knew you were going to get high quality theatre once you got in the door, but there was nothing to do once you were back outside but hurry to your car and drive home. My trip to Globe Theatre in Regina, then, was a bit of time-travelling -- a hint of what's to come when Persephone's new building is finished later this year. Before-show meal? After-show drinks? Could this be possible?

The Globe was the province's first professional theatre when it was founded in 1966. Its downtown location couldn't be better and its home, in the historic Prince Edward Building, exudes class and permanence.

After checking in to my favourite (nyuk, nyuk) hotel, I couldn't wait to get to the play, but first I had to deal with a rumbling stomach. I could have opted for pasta at Alfredo's or fish and chips at O'Hanlon's, both of which are only steps from the Globe. The idea of being being able to have a nice meal and then take a short walk to the theatre almost makes me weep with envy. But, with plenty of time on my hands, I opted for the short drive to the brew pub and restaurant Brewsters, which has a mind-boggling array of craft-brews and roasted pepper mashed potatoes that are practically a religious experience. Since we were in a town once dubbed Pile O' Bones, a buffalo rib steak seemed appropriate as well. (There was no geographical excuse for choosing the New York cheesecake, however. But what does dessert have to do with logic?)

My belly full, it was time to dwell on the pain of others with the Globe Theatre's season-opening play Death and the Maiden , the Pulizer Prize-winner by Chilean exile Ariel Dorfman. Globe's stage is small and surrounded by the audience -- the only full-time arena stage in the country. This must present maddening complications for the director and cast but what was most surprising in this production was how much creativity was invested in the set. Steel gates at the entrances gave the feeling of a protected compound (or a jail) while tiles in the floor glowed at key moments. The story is about a torture victim who encounters the man she says assaulted her years later. Meanwhile, her husband has just been hired by the president to launch the country's truth and reconciliation process.

The three actors were all from Toronto, which I'm told is the Globe's way of doing things. They were perfectly fine, although one seemed about 20 years too young for his part. In Saskatoon, the play would have had at least one and likely two local actors. I kept busy as I watched choosing who'd I'd rather see in the play -- Cheryl Jack for sure, and Bruce McKay and maybe Robert Benz as the mysterious doctor. This isn't about favouring locals so much as giving the audience the treat of seeing the same actors in different roles, which adds whole new layers of enjoyment.

Niggles aside, Regina is definitely lucky to have a first-class facility in such an excellent location. There are things in Saskatoon that theatre-goers can only hope to take for granted in the future, like elbow-room at intermission and two (two!) efficiently run bars. Speaking of which, it was worth it to stop in at O'Hanlon's in the way back to the hotel for a post-play pint. Look for the cloud of smoke from the crowds of young people at the picnic tables outside, smoking voraciously. Get a feeling of the old west (or Medieval times) watching the bar maid tidy up by pouring abandoned beers onto the pavement. By sun up, the street transforms again (if it's Saturday) into a farmer's market. Theatre, partying and root vegetables, all on the same street? I told you, I (heart) Regina.

© CanWest News Service 2007
Quote:
Saskatoon, nothing fringe about it

Jeff DeDekker
Leader-Post

Friday, October 12, 2007

CREDIT: Greg Pender, StarPhoenix files
The Saskatoon Fringe Festival is a popular Saskatoon event.
SASKATOON -- At first glance, Regina and Saskatoon appear to share many similarities for residents looking for entertaining nightlife.

Music?

The Regina Symphony Orchestra and the Saskatoon Symphony Orchestra having been entertaining audiences in their respective cities for years.

Theatre?

Regina features the Globe Theatre while the Persephone Theatre has carved its niche in Saskatoon.

How about touring theatre productions or musical acts?

The Conexus Arts Centre provides a superb venue for such shows in Regina while Saskatoon's TCU Place is a fabulous facility.

But like siblings that share a number of genetic traits, the cities also have distinguishing qualities to call their own. For those with a love of the theatre, Shakespeare on the Saskatchewan and the Saskatoon Fringe Theatre Festival provide quality entertainment each year.

On the music side of the ledger, Bridge City residents soak up the sounds at the SaskTel Saskatchewan Jazz Festival while the Credit Union Centre plays hosts to a vast array of national and international stars.

Opened on Feb. 9, 1988, as Saskatchewan Place, the Credit Union Centre earned a reputation as a top-notch facility. Restricted somewhat by its seating capacity of 7,800, the turning point for the facility came with the decision to expand in time for the 1991 world junior hockey championship.

By increasing the seating capacity to 11,310 for hockey and 13,000 for concerts, the Credit Union Centre became a prime destination for touring musical acts and major sporting events.

"(The expansion) was very essential," says Ken Wood, executive director of the Credit Union Centre. "You have to get over the 10,000 mark to draw the real major concerts."

The facility has played host to events as diverse as the Brier (1989, 2000 and 2004), the 1989 Memorial Cup, the 1991 Scott Tournament of Hearts, the 1991 Canada Cup and the Canadian university men's hockey championship, the University Cup (1998-2000).

Its success continued in 2007 with concerts featuring the likes of Rascal Flatts, Cirque de Soleil, Tim McGraw and Faith Hill, Hilary Duff, Beyonce, Brad Paisley, Rihanna and Akon. Toss in the 2007 Juno Awards, the Canada/Russia Super Series and an NHL exhibition game between the Calgary Flames and Florida Panthers and it's easy to see why the Credit Union Centre has become a world-class venue.

"This is going to be a record year for us," explains Wood. "We might hit 30 concerts for the year and that would be a record year. We're close to the 130-140 range for event days and for an arena that's pretty good.

"In 2006 we were proud to be No. 62 in the Pollstar rankings of the top 100 venues in the world. We felt that was quite an accomplishment and I think we will make that list again this year. I know we were there in the first and second quarters of 2007."

A major improvement project was recently completed at the facility with 21 permanent suites added to the concourse level between the lower and upper decks. The $4-million project gives the CUC 43 suites of various shapes and sizes with Wood pointing out: "Private viewing suites are a key revenue stream for arenas these days."

The Fringe has also been basking in success after having been named Saskatoon's top festival for the past five years. Held in early August each year, usually over a 10- or 11-day period, the Fringe has grown into a Bridge City staple over the past 18 years. The 2007 edition featured 51 productions at five venues totalling almost 300 shows over a 10-day run.

The quality of the performers has a direct impact on the festival's success but its location also deserves credit. Held in the Broadway Avenue area, which could be compared to Regina's Cathedral district, the festival understands its success is tied directly to its location.

"We've tried to move it off Broadway twice and it did not work," says Bob Wyman, producer of the festival. "It started out in 1990 as the first official Fringe on Broadway and it was a huge success then as a first-time festival in this area. It was born on Broadway, it deserves to stay on Broadway and it's totally at home on Broadway. The architecture, the culture of Broadway, all the elements are here and we just borrow it for 10 days to do our magic."

Performers come from all over the world to participate in the festival and they continue to do so because the people of Saskatoon have taken ownership of the Fringe. According to Wyman, it's not unusual for city residents to take holidays to work at the Fringe. Wyman estimated 300 volunteers worked a total of 6,000 hours at the festival this past year.

"Volunteering -- it's what connects us to the community," says Wyman. "There was a couple here this year from Okotoks, Alta., that jumped into their car, came down here and volunteered. The Fringe was their holidays. Albertans are coming to the Saskatoon Fringe to volunteer. There's a million stories like that.

"Volunteering is a great way to give back and connect through to the heart to a very vibrant community event."

The Broadway location provides a unique setting for free performances by artists. With the streets closed to vehicle traffic, people have the opportunity to get up close and personal with artists. Whether it's a magician showing off his latest trick or a juggler controlling a flaming torch with a chainsaw and two apples or a storyteller entertaining children with a puppet show, the street access results in a memorable experience.

The festival is content with its current size. It expanded to nine venues in 2005 but the additional workload and expense resulted in the Fringe returning to its five-venue format in 2006.

Wyman feels that something good did result from the failure of the expansion.

"It's not an experience I wish to ever repeat because I think smaller and intimate and performer- and audience-friendly is where we want to be," says Wyman. "When you get larger, you lose some of the connection that makes you different.

"We've embraced now what we are. We want to be the best little fringe in Canada, as a great place for these artists to connect with the audiences in Saskatoon, knowing full well we could never be an Edmonton or a Winnipeg. It's foolish to try to do that."

Like the Fringe, the jazz festival has also enjoyed a successful run since its inception in 1987. Running from June 22 to July 1, the 2007 edition had an estimated attendance of 65,000 at its venues. The 11 primary venues are in Saskatoon but the festival also hosts shows in Regina, Moose Jaw and North Battleford. Of the festival's 120 performances, 70 were free to the public.

Kevin Tobin, manager of the festival, is convinced the event has earned its title as the premier cultural event in Saskatchewan.

"It is a heavy label but what we're really trying to do here through the diversity of the event is to get as many people as we can to understand two things -- jazz is a style of music and the festival is a cultural event in itself," says Tobin. "We're currently reviewing the event and looking at how to build different layers of the event to create a better festival experience. Whether that's by including movies, photography, art galleries, food, or even different styles of jazz, these are the areas we're going into to create a festival for the community."

Success -- financial as opposed to artistic -- is a relatively new concept for Shakespeare on the Saskatchewan. Incorporated as a not-for-profit charity in 1985, the festival was the first professional summer Shakespeare festival outside of Ontario. Located on the banks of the South Saskatchewan River in the heart of Saskatoon, the festival is presented in a large tent on site. Despite critically acclaimed shows, the festival struggled to keep its head above water financially and began carrying a deficit in 1995. By 2004 the deficit reached a record high of $136,417.

A drastic plan was put into place to save the festival. Measures such as restructuring management, cutting salaries and attracting new sponsorships helped the festival move forward. A successful season of Comedy of Errors and Romeo and Juliet helped reduce the deficit to $37,536.

Then a guardian angel entered the picture.

"We were looking at posting a $13,000 profit last year and two weeks before the end of the season, someone sent us a cheque for $25,000 and said, 'We love your productions, you're doing good work, please accept this contribution,' " says Mark von Eschen, artistic director and executive director of the festival. "I heard (financial officer Elaine Simpson) gasp in her office and I thought, 'Oh my God, we got a bill from Revenue Canada.' That donation took us down to a $400 surplus, putting us in the black for the first time since 1995. I'm really adamant that we have to stay in the black."

The 2007 festival, which ran from July 4 to Aug. 12, attracted 10,000 fans, an increase of 500 from 2006. Additional events at the site, such a medieval feast, also helped to boost the festival's bottom line. Von Eschen and his charges have plans and dreams when it comes to the future success of the festival yet he understands the main attraction is Shakespeare himself.

"For many people who buy tickets, it's because they've heard about this guy named William Shakespeare being the greatest playwright in the world," von Eschen says. "We always say that if we can get you in the gate once, we'll keep you coming back."

Sounds like another Saskatoon success story.

jdedekker@leaderpost.canwest.com

© Leader-Post 2007

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 5:23 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D View Post
I can not believe the two papers are still doing these schlocky types of articles. They were doing similar ones nearly 20 years ago when I lived in Saskatchewan. I have lived in both cities and each has good points and bad. I have a personal preference for Saskatoon but that's all it is - a personal preference.

Must be a slow news day with the anticipation that the next several weekends will be as well.
It's funny, The Calgary Herald and Edmonton Journal ran a similar series concerning the Alberta rivals last week as well. Must be a Southam neewspaper thing.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 5:04 PM
Coasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
It's funny, The Calgary Herald and Edmonton Journal ran a similar series concerning the Alberta rivals last week as well. Must be a Southam neewspaper thing.
Must be a CanWest/Global thing. Southam has not owned any of the prairie dailies for a number of years. Not sure who owns the Winnipeg Free Press.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
The "greening" of modern media: reduce (costs), reuse (old ideas), recycle (other peoples ideas).

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 2:11 AM
Saskatchewan's Largest

I guess I will keep this one going....

After the week two 'ego stroke-fest', week three's enticing feature includes such quotes as "Some things about Regina, however, remain the same: The drivers are still awful, downtown is still a ghost town after 6 p.m., and the notorious north-central district is still one of Canada's worst neighbourhoods." and "The list reads like a government directory: SGI, SaskTel, SaskEnergy, SaskPower, Viterra (formerly Saskatchewan Wheat Pool). No wonder tumbleweeds are more populous than people after 6 p.m. Even Casino Regina is government run."

Here is the trash (at least it was not the cover story this week)

Quote:
Building frenzy takes hold of Regina
To see ourselves as others see us
Darren Bernhardt, The StarPhoenix
Published: Saturday, October 20, 2007

REGINA -- The clangor of jackhammers and presence of construction cranes on Regina's downtown skyline caused a strange sensory buzz.

Waking up in a hotel room -- a challenge in itself to find a vacancy -- I needed a moment to remember where I was. Maybe the Regina water had something to do with it.

It sounded like Toronto and morning traffic plodded busy arteries, past crews working on a $13-million seven-storey, 118-room hotel, a $25.5-million transit depot and a $5.5-million office building, set to house the largest Tim Hortons restaurant in the country at 3,157 square feet.

How times have changed. I can't recall any significant building projects happening in my brief residency in the Queen City from 1995 to 1997. Orange pylons usually indicated city crews repairing a crumbling sidewalk or painting road lines. And those maintenance tasks were enough to delight people, to exalt the seemingly good state of the city's finances.

A simple pothole patch is still welcome but won't draw the attention it once did. Commercial and residential development is as commonplace as buffalo bones once were on the bald prairie around Wascana Creek.

"We're pushing out against the city limits at every edge," said Larry Hiles, CEO of the Regina Regional Economic Development Authority. "There's been nothing close to this (construction frenzy) since the early '80s."

Year-to-date, Regina has seen total housing starts of 1,077 units, the most since 1986. Three new neighbourhoods are in the works along with a large-scale infill development on the former Anglican Diocesan property. The latter, to be built around heritage buildings, is already inspired some people to approach the city with checkbooks in hand.

Regina real estate values have soared but the housing boom isn't having the same effect as in Saskatoon, where homelessness has become a major concern.

Regina rents are more stable and condo conversions aren't occurring at the same rate. The city's regulations protect renters from being kicked to the curb. When the vacancy rate is lower than three per cent, conversion of rental properties to condos is not allowed.

The city is desperate, however, for serviced industrial land. There were more sales in the Ross Industrial Park in eight months of 2006 than in the 16 previous years, said Hiles.

An Industrial Growth Study published in August identified land requirement to the year 2031 at between 222 and 365 hectares. A new industrial park is planned for the city's southwest, helping form an economic corridor to Moose Jaw.

Regina is expected this year to reach its highest gross domestic product growth rate in a decade. The Conference Board of Canada has listed it at No. 5 in the country with a forecast GDP jump of 3.5 per cent, slightly more than $7 billion. That's up from 1.9 per cent in 2006 and is narrowly behind Edmonton at 3.6 and Winnipeg at 3.7.

"We wonder how much faster we could move, in terms of growth, than we are," Hiles said, noting Regina is experiencing the same shortage of skilled workers. "Everyone is moving flat out every day. You can't get a new house built in less than one and a half years now."

One developer even stopped selling homes for a time because "they could no longer promise a delivery date or cost estimate based on the wait of 16 to 18 months," Hiles said.

Some things about Regina, however, remain the same: The drivers are still awful, downtown is still a ghost town after 6 p.m., and the notorious north-central district is still one of Canada's worst neighbourhoods.

There must be some secret plan on the part of Reginans to get automakers to phase out production of turn signals by showing them how unnecessary they are. U of R history prof and author Bill Brennan thinks drivers view them as an open playbook, like giving away your next move.

Someone who signals will often find the car in the next lane speed up to block them, Brennan said.

"Reginans think the lane belongs to them. They're not going to give up that space."

The cluster of food and retail shops along Scarth Street is a great downtown feature but not enough to keep the core bustling. Cornwall Centre is the big shopping draw and it's as dull as ever. The former Bay department store is office space, as is the former Galleria

There are more skyscrapers in Regina than Saskatoon, which keeps the downtown compact. It takes an hour -- walking slowly -- to see it all and become bored.

Regina wants to convince people it's no longer a government-driven town but that won't be easy. Despite the revival, most real estate is filled by provincial or federal government employees. There's enough wheat sheaf symbols downtown for a bountiful harvest.

The list reads like a government directory: SGI, SaskTel, SaskEnergy, SaskPower, Viterra (formerly Saskatchewan Wheat Pool). No wonder tumbleweeds are more populous than people after 6 p.m. Even Casino Regina is government run.

Still, the line between Regina and Saskatoon as government and university towns, respectively, is becoming blurred, said Hiles.

"Government is not growing at the same pace as the economy, so other things are driving the growth."

Saskatoon is headquarters for a few national corporations and has its share of government offices. Meanwhile, Regina's university campus has doubled its structural footprint in the past nine years and its student population has closed in on the U of S.

"We're a lot more alike than ever," said Brennan, noting both cities even get their drinking water from the same source now, the South Saskatchewan River.

New additions to the U of R campus include two residence towers, the First Nations University of Canada and a new research park. A national police agency is also preparing to set up shop to test equipment from guns to tires. The park, opened in 2000, is having a bigger economic impact on Regina than Innovation Place on Saskatoon, according to Hiles.

Economies aside, Saskatoon and Regina are both defined by their people, said Mayor Pat Fiacco.

"They proudly claim the most genuine, friendly, hard-working people. There's no difference there."

Besides, competition between them is not something to be pursued, Fiacco cautioned. The combined population is still about half that of Winnipeg, which doesn't afford room to wrestle.

"If we're going to grow the province we both have to do well. We're partners in that sense," said Hiles.

Outside the government shadow, IPSCO and the Federated Co-op refinery-upgrader complex are major contributors to Regina's economy. The refinery is planning a $1-billion expansion while IPSCO, the steelmaker, recently contributed $2.5 million to an $80-million renewal of Exhibition Park. In return, the park is renamed IPSCO Place.

The warehouse district is also delivering a healthy dose of tax dollars to the city. The tony strip is a mix of retail and restaurants, while the Cathedral Village neighbourhood is another vibrant area with funky shops and eateries.

Both Saskatoon and Regina municipal governments tilt heavily to the right and their business-friendly approach could explain some of the growth. Sometimes, though, it's just the slower pace of life that attracts people, which in turn attracts business. Regina and Saskatoon fit that bill, though the Queen City is more laid back. And in many places, more lovely.

Saskatoon's river valley accounts for much of the city's allure. Reginans haven't had the luxury of natural beauty, so they've developed it.

"There's a quote attributed to (author) Pierre Berton: 'Vancouver has done the least with the most while Regina has done the most with the least,'" Fiacco said.

Wascana Centre is one of North America's largest urban parks and a jewel in the heart of the city. Albert Street is lined with green boulevards and plants that shame Saskatoon's dreary concrete medians on Eighth Street.

Downtown is freakishly litter, graffiti, and panhandler-free. It's disfigured by billboards of warbler John Tesh, but that's another story.

Regina does have one of the ugliest scars of any city, though. North central is a broken down area of low-rent housing characterized by crime, gangs, drug use and prostitution. Nearly 18 per cent of crime in the city occurs there, where less than six per cent of the population lives. But progress is being made. Crime has actually dropped 25 per cent in recent years due to efforts by the police, social agencies, and programs, including an anti-drug strategy and a community partnership which has built dozens of new homes.

The city wants to improve pedestrian and vehicular linkages to north central, Mosaic Stadium, IPSCO Place, Wascana Centre, and other surrounding areas. A master plan for the downtown -- the first in 20 years -- was released Oct. 2. It addresses transportation and parking, infrastructure, open space and public area design, heritage properties, arts and culture, and economic development.

Like Saskatoon did in the 1960s, Regina wants to move the railway to the outskirts, opening the railyards to development and enabling the new linkages.

Premier Lorne Calvert foresees Regina as Canada's capital for sustainable energy development.

"What Calgary has achieved in 20th century energy resources, Regina can achieve in 21st century energy resources," he said during his premier's dinner in April.

"The University of Regina is leading in clean and sustainable energy research and climate change research: the Petroleum Technology Research Centre, the CO2 capture research, hydrogen research, climate change adaptation research.

"To my knowledge there is no other community in Canada that has the capacity we have in Regina. We are on the cutting edge and leading the world."

The next 10 years should prove to be another eye-opener for visitors, though I plan to take my family back much sooner and show them the city that paved the way for my career.

"That perception does help and the attitude change that comes with success is a very strong motivator."

But all the success has come with a few bumps in the road. The vacancy rate for rental properties has dwindled and numerous apartment buildings have been bought up for condo conversions, leaving some renters scrambling for housing and concern growing for those homeless in the city.

Over the summer, the crunch in the Bridge City became a crisis as thousands of university students prepared to return to school. Unprecedented measures were taken when the city's mayor and the leaders of three of Saskatoon's post-secondary institutions called on local residents to take students in as boarders.

City councillor Bob Pringle, a former NDP cabinet minister who recently stepped down as CEO of the Saskatoon Food Bank and Learning Centre, said over the last two years, there has been a 30-per-cent increase in the number of students using the food bank. The majority are out-of-town students who are having difficulty affording tuition, rent, books and living expenses.

It is not just students feeling the pinch, though. There has been a more than 100-per-cent increase in the number of senior citizen users of the food bank, jumping from 248 seniors to 512.

"All of us want the economy to be doing well . . . but I think when it accelerates so quickly, as it has, there is the other side of the coin -- a lot of people don't keep up," said Pringle.

There wasn't always sympathy for those in need. With the economy doing well and "Help Wanted" signs prominently featured around the city, Pringle admitted some people looked down on those who were still in need. In his mind, what turned the indifference into compassion and action were the personal stories of residents trying to find affordable housing that started to grab headlines prior to the start of the academic year. Since then, residents, local businesses and industry associations alike have responded.

"A lot of people are working together who never worked together before. That's what this type of crisis does, it creates change," said Pringle.

Along with the upswing in the city's economic fortunes has come a change of command and shift in focus for the Saskatoon Police Service (SPS). Clive Weighill took over as chief of the beleaguered police force in September 2006, after spending 31 years with the Regina Police Service. It wasn't long before the department saw a change in direction, which Weighill said was collectively identified through meetings with some of the service's members.

In June of this year, the force shifted to a different style of policing, resulting in a redeployment of officers that placed more on the street and shifted the focus to getting more in touch with the community.

According to the new approach, Saskatoon has been broken up into three divisions with an inspector put in charge of each division. Resources have been divvied up according to presence of crime in the areas, with the east side and west side divisions each receiving 30 per cent of SPS resources, while the remaining 40 per cent is poured into the smaller inner-city division. The new model calls for daily and monthly examinations of what crimes are taking place and where, resulting in a quicker, more focused approach to reducing it.

"Number one, it forces the command staff to be thinking about crime reduction. Number two, we start solving some of those smaller crimes that historically police weren't solving," said Weighill.

While the early indicators look positive, the real effect of the new model won't be measured until the end of 2008. But the new plan may have some of the service's members and city residents believing the force is moving in the right direction.

"They see that the initiatives we've all worked on -- not just management -- but that we've all worked on in the last year are starting to show positive results on the morale and on the perception of confidence within the police service in Saskatoon," Weighill explained.

With all of this growth in Saskatoon, the perception of the U of S being the focal point of the city may be shifting, with the flourishing university as just one important piece of the city's makeup.

Without a doubt, the institution is a significant contributor to Saskatoon's economy as the city's largest employer with more than 7,000 employees. The campus itself is a major purchaser of services, requiring a utility draw similar to a city the size of North Battleford.

According to U of S president Peter MacKinnon, the university's impact is estimated to make up 20 per cent of Saskatoon's economy. At the height of a weekday during the academic year, there are 30,000 people between campus and Innovation Place -- a sizable pull in a city of over 200,000. (Saskatoon's census metropolitan area is about 233,000.)

"In numbers alone, that's a huge impact but it does not begin to measure the extent of the presence. A very, very large number of alumni, when you think about it, most of the professional people in the city and in the province have been educated at the University of Saskatchewan. That's a very significant impact," said MacKinnon.

The U of S has also seen its changes in recent years, arguably the biggest of which was the opening of the Canadian Light Source, the country's only synchrotron research facility. But the institution's profile is also being raised through the growing prominence of the Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization (VIDO) and the still-being-constructed International Vaccine Centre (InterVac), numerous capital expansions and renovations, increasing research dollars, and the creation of new schools for public health, public policy and environment and sustainability.

Through its 100-year history, MacKinnon said the university has remained true to the vision set by its first president Walter Murray: A public university must serve the many-sided life of the community. While the university's thriving research and innovation endeavours are benefitting the global community, the U of S has remained steady in its contributions to the cultural, intellectual, athletic and economic life of Saskatoon.

"Inevitably there are changes, there are incremental changes in the relationship between the university and the city but I think the underlying theme has always been the same," MacKinnon said.

Migneault agreed the U of S is an extremely important part of the city's history, current growth and future progress.

"Any significant metropolitan area in the world has significant university, academic structures that are embedded within it and around it," he said. "I really see the university as being a place where future economic development, future academic development, future research will continue to change and help the city grow."
© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2007

Saskatoon more than university town

Veronica Rhodes
of The Leader-Post

Saturday, October 20, 2007

SASKATOON -- In the divvying up of political and intellectual entities, Regina was granted the provincial capital while Saskatoon became home to the University of Saskatchewan. At least that's the simplified version of history.

In turn, each city has been defined by these properties. While the dome of the Legislative Building is symbolic of the Queen City, the heart of Saskatoon is believed by many to be the University of Saskatchewan.

As someone who was born and raised in the Bridge City, I once wholeheartedly agreed that the lifeblood of Saskatoon flowed from the campus. Situated on the banks of the South Saskatchewan River, the university is an island of thoughtful calm and architectural beauty amidst the hustle and bustle of the city.

But I've been away for five years, living way down that boring stretch of Highway 11 in Regina.

When I return to Saskatoon, it is no longer the city it used to be. Of course, it still contains those postcard-perfect views of the downtown riverbank and the vigour of Broadway Avenue. But now Saskatoon also has energy, a tangible feeling that it is thriving. Growth can be seen in the swelling population, ever-increasing traffic and construction on Circle Drive, and surging real estate prices -- all indicators residents may argue as positive or negative.

But while the boom may seem sudden, the city started to really take off about five years ago.

"It takes a while for people to recognize when things are going well." said Alan Migneault, chief executive officer of Saskatoon Regional Economic Development Authority Inc. (SREDA). "We've had approximately four-per-cent growth in GDP every year since 2002-2003. So for that five-year period, we've been racking up some pretty decent growth numbers in Saskatoon, ahead of Canadian averages for sure.

"It has probably been the last 12 to 18 months when people have really started talking about it. This is something that is really happening. Perhaps it takes a couple of years for it to sink in."

It is not like Saskatoon had been hurting. Saskatchewan is the largest potash producer in the world and because Saskatoon is centrally located in the province, it's the ideal home for the head offices and manufacturers that feed the industry.

Cameco, the world's largest uranium producer, makes its home in the city, which is the gateway to the rich mining resources in the north, including gold and diamonds.

Outsiders have been taking notice of Saskatoon's growth and potential. The Conference Board of Canada is forecasting that Saskatoon will be No.1 in GDP growth in Canada, after being in the top three for the past five years. The board has also recognized Saskatoon as one of the most diversified cities in the country, said Migneault, proving the city has seen growth across nearly all sectors and industries.

"There is a perception element to growth. When people are feeling like things are good, they are perhaps more willing to do more growth activities as well," said Migneault. "If you have a less-than-optimistic outlook of what is going to happen next year, you're not as likely to try and grow your business in a risky way or in a way that you would not otherwise have tried to do in the past.

"That perception does help and the attitude change that comes with success is a very strong motivator."

But all the success has come with a few bumps in the road. The vacancy rate for rental properties has dwindled and numerous apartment buildings have been bought up for condo conversions, leaving some renters scrambling for housing and concern growing for those homeless in the city.

Over the summer, the crunch in the Bridge City became a crisis as thousands of university students prepared to return to school. Unprecedented measures were taken when the city's mayor and the leaders of three of Saskatoon's post-secondary institutions called on local residents to take students in as boarders.

City councillor Bob Pringle, a former NDP cabinet minister who recently stepped down as CEO of the Saskatoon Food Bank and Learning Centre, said over the last two years, there has been a 30-per-cent increase in the number of students using the food bank. The majority are out-of-town students who are having difficulty affording tuition, rent, books and living expenses.

It is not just students feeling the pinch, though. There has been a more than 100-per-cent increase in the number of senior citizen users of the food bank, jumping from 248 seniors to 512.

"All of us want the economy to be doing well . . . but I think when it accelerates so quickly, as it has, there is the other side of the coin -- a lot of people don't keep up," said Pringle.

There wasn't always sympathy for those in need. With the economy doing well and "Help Wanted" signs prominently featured around the city, Pringle admitted some people looked down on those who were still in need. In his mind, what turned the indifference into compassion and action were the personal stories of residents trying to find affordable housing that started to grab headlines prior to the start of the academic year. Since then, residents, local businesses and industry associations alike have responded.

"A lot of people are working together who never worked together before. That's what this type of crisis does, it creates change," said Pringle.

Along with the upswing in the city's economic fortunes has come a change of command and shift in focus for the Saskatoon Police Service (SPS). Clive Weighill took over as chief of the beleaguered police force in September 2006, after spending 31 years with the Regina Police Service. It wasn't long before the department saw a change in direction, which Weighill said was collectively identified through meetings with some of the service's members.

In June of this year, the force shifted to a different style of policing, resulting in a redeployment of officers that placed more on the street and shifted the focus to getting more in touch with the community.

According to the new approach, Saskatoon has been broken up into three divisions with an inspector put in charge of each division. Resources have been divvied up according to presence of crime in the areas, with the east side and west side divisions each receiving 30 per cent of SPS resources, while the remaining 40 per cent is poured into the smaller inner-city division. The new model calls for daily and monthly examinations of what crimes are taking place and where, resulting in a quicker, more focused approach to reducing it.

"Number one, it forces the command staff to be thinking about crime reduction. Number two, we start solving some of those smaller crimes that historically police weren't solving," said Weighill.

While the early indicators look positive, the real effect of the new model won't be measured until the end of 2008. But the new plan may have some of the service's members and city residents believing the force is moving in the right direction.

"They see that the initiatives we've all worked on -- not just management -- but that we've all worked on in the last year are starting to show positive results on the morale and on the perception of confidence within the police service in Saskatoon," Weighill explained.

With all of this growth in Saskatoon, the perception of the U of- being the focal point of the city may be shifting, with the flourishing university as just one important piece of the city's makeup.

Without a doubt, the institution is a significant contributor to Saskatoon's economy as the city's largest employer with more than 7,000 employees. The campus itself is a major purchaser of services, requiring a utility draw similar to a city the size of North Battleford.

According to U of- president Peter MacKinnon, the university's impact is estimated to make up 20 per cent of Saskatoon's economy. At the height of a weekday during the academic year, there are 30,000 people between campus and Innovation Place -- a sizable pull in a city of over 200,000. (Saskatoon's census metropolitan area is about 233,000.)

"In numbers alone, that's a huge impact but it does not begin to measure the extent of the presence. A very, very large number of alumni, when you think about it, most of the professional people in the city and in the province have been educated at the University of Saskatchewan. That's a very significant impact," said MacKinnon.

The U of- has also seen its changes in recent years, arguably the biggest of which was the opening of the Canadian Light Source, the country's only synchrotron research facility. But the institution's profile is also being raised through the growing prominence of the Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization (VIDO) and the still-being-constructed International Vaccine Centre (InterVac), numerous capital expansions and renovations, increasing research dollars, and the creation of new schools for public health, public policy and environment and sustainability.

Through its 100-year history, MacKinnon said the university has remained true to the vision set by its first president Walter Murray: A public university must serve the many-sided life of the community. While the university's thriving research and innovation endeavours are benefitting the global community, the U of- has remained steady in its contributions to the cultural, intellectual, athletic and economic life of Saskatoon.

"Inevitably there are changes, there are incremental changes in the relationship between the university and the city but I think the underlying theme has always been the same," MacKinnon said.

Migneault agreed the U of- is an extremely important part of the city's history, current growth and future progress.

"Any significant metropolitan area in the world has significant university, academic structures that are embedded within it and around it," he said. "I really see the university as being a place where future economic development, future academic development, future research will continue to change and help the city grow."
© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2007

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 3:33 AM

Couple of things about thpse comments...Bad drivers...well, that's subjective. Every city has their fair share and I don't know why a history professor's opinion means any more than yours or mine. Compared to some cities I've been in, Regina (and Saskatoon-despite the fact that half the of drivers there can't merge!) aren't bad at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Viterra has anything to do with the government?

Downtown...meh. On a Tuesday night, yeah it's pretty dead. Now that it's getting colder, not as many people hanging around at night. In the summer though, there's a ton of people downtown on a Friday or Saturday night. I spent quite a few nights downtown this summer and it sure wasn't dead. It surprised even me how many people were there! I don't get why everyone thinks downtown Saskatoon is bustling at night. Maybe on a weekend but during the week it's not much different than Regina.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 4:34 AM

Yeah I read that article this morning and noticed those mistakes as well

Viterra is a private company, not government owned, and soon to be the Province's second largest company (private or crown), behind Saskatoon's Camco I think

The driver thing is pretty subjective, but what do you expect from the Leader Post / Star Phoenix?

and I agree, the "Regina's downtown is dead after 6" argument is so 1990's. Its not nearly as true anymore. There wasn't a night this summer that Atlantis coffee wasn't packed. And Scarth street by Ohanlons always has a steady flow of people, any night of the week.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
Yeah I read that article this morning and noticed those mistakes as well

Viterra is a private company, not government owned, and soon to be the Province's second largest company (private or crown), behind Saskatoon's Camco I think

The driver thing is pretty subjective, but what do you expect from the Leader Post / Star Phoenix?

and I agree, the "Regina's downtown is dead after 6" argument is so 1990's. Its not nearly as true anymore. There wasn't a night this summer that Atlantis coffee wasn't packed. And Scarth street by Ohanlons always has a steady flow of people, any night of the week.
That said it still has a long way as well as Saskatoon to reach nightlife levels like downtown Vancouver or Toronto. Maybe with time as both cities continue to grow more options will be available.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D View Post
Here is a link to a site comparing population in Saskatchewan in 1906 and 2001. There were four cities in 1906 and Moose Jaw was the largest by a small margin over Regina, and Saskatoon was only slightly larger than Prince Albert.

http://www.stats.gov.sk.ca/census/1906CensusCTV.pdf
Something is wrong with some of the numbers...Estevan is a lot bigger than 2000 people now. I'm guessing they missing a 1...should be 12,000.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 7:09 PM

All about the sports last week...

Quote:
Tuesday » October 30 » 2007

Saskatoon devoted to local scene

Tim Switzer
The Leader-Post

Saturday, October 27, 2007

CREDIT: Greg Pender, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Fans at a recent Canada West football game between the University of Saskatchewan Huskies and University of Calgary Dinos at Potash Corp Park in Saskatoon.

CREDIT: Greg Pender, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Brad Babyak, manager of facilities for the City of Saskatoon, stands inside the city's ACT hockey arena.
SASKATOON -- The Roughriders may be Saskatchewan's team, but that isn't quite so obvious in the northernmost of the province's two largest cities.

Spend just a few days in Saskatoon and one quickly realizes that, yes, the CFL team is a big deal. But the amateur sports played around the city are just as vital -- maybe moreso.

The presence of the Riders in Regina hovers over other teams in the city as they try to break into the market to sell tickets and merchandise.

Without that, other teams -- the football ones in particular -- are thriving in Saskatoon.

In the days leading up to a sports-filled weekend early this month (a three-day period which included, Blades, Huskies football, Hilltops and Roughriders games), the Riders were almost an afterthought in Saskatoon.

The Riders got their minutes on television and radio and their ink in the newspaper, but much of it was behind stories on the local teams.

"If I think of Regina, I instantly think of the Roughriders," said Trent Coghill, the Blades' director of business operations. "I've been there enough that in any time of the year, I've always heard someone talking about the Roughriders. Saskatoon is interesting because ... there is always something different people are talking about in sports."

When it comes to football in Saskatoon, the U of S Huskies are THE show. Sure, high school and junior football are big, but those games don't draw 5,000 people on a regular basis.

The Huskies and Blades may not always be the biggest teams on the block in Saskatoon, however. Because there is currently no pro team in the city, it is often thought of as the perfect spot for expansion of any other number of pro or semi-pro leagues that come along.

The Northern League, a professional baseball circuit in Canada and the northern U.S., would love to expand into Saskatoon but has yet to find financiers.

So until that happens -- in the fall at least -- it is all Huskies, all the time.

The attention the Huskies football team receives has been helped along by the fact that the U of S has appeared in four Vanier Cup games in the past five years. The Huskies hosted and played in the game in 2006.

The Huskies are a miniature version of the Roughriders. Their fans still care about the team in the tough times and are at Griffiths Stadium through good and bad.

"What I like about our stadium is right now is it's the proper size," said Towriss. "We're filling it, the atmosphere is great. You ask anybody that comes in here and plays us and they'll tell you, it's loud, the fans are into it. It's like going to a Rider game on a smaller scale.

"When we play the Rams in Regina, they get 5,000 -- or they used to anyway. But when you're in a 28,000-seat stadium or you're in McMahon (Stadium in Calgary) with 35,000 seats, it gets lost. It's just too big."

Huskies fans give nothing away to the Roughriders' fans in their dislike of opposing players. Although it is a strange thing to sit on the east stands at Griffiths Stadium and hear 30- and 40-year-old men tell 19- and 20-year-old boys, "You suck!"

"There's nothing like it," said Huskies cornerback Paul Woldu, a Regina native who also played for the Regina Thunder and was on the field for a Roughriders exhibition game at Mosaic Stadium in 2006.

"You look at the Riders and there's no other crowd like it in the league. It's the same here with university football. It's loud, it's crazy and they're happy to be here."

The junior football story is much the same. On a Sunday afternoon, the Hilltops can draw as many as 2,000 people to Gordie Howe Bowl. The Thunder and their -- at best -- 1,000 fans can't hold a candle to that.

But while football in Saskatoon has benefited from the lack of Roughriders, the same can't be said for hockey.

The Blades draw decent crowds (usually between 4,000 and 4,500) but the team isn't bringing in more fans than a lot of WHL teams, including the Regina Pats.

Much of that can be attributed to the Blades' lack of victories. The Blades finished last in the East Division last season and are off to a sub-.500 start in the 2007-08 campaign.

But the team does benefit from being one of the biggest shows in town.

"Is it easier for us? Absolutely, because it's another level of business you don't have to compete with," said Coghill.

"Are we unaffected by the Riders? Absolutely not. When they go on winning streaks and have games that compete against ours, our attendance is affected because people are excited about the Riders."

Being the biggest games in town has its cost too.

The teams may be filled with amateur players, but they aren't always treated as such in the community.

"People like the game and care how you do," said Towriss. "That's some pressure, for sure. If we don't get to the conference final or further every year, we hear about it. There's other places where it doesn't matter. It's third-page news and you're lucky to get a little corner in the paper as to what's going on."

"People see the Saskatoon Blades as their 'professional sport' and they sometimes forget the 16-, 17-, 18-, 19- and sometimes 20-year-old kids are behind those uniforms," said Coghill.

There may not be as many on-ice reasons to be excited about the Blades, but the Saskatoon team certainly has advantages in other areas.

The Credit Union Centre and its 11,000 seats are as close to an NHL arena as one will find in Saskatchewan. The arena played host to an NHL preseason game between the Calgary Flames and Florida Panthers on Sept. 18.

Newly renovated corporate boxes surround the lower bowl, families can bring their kids and let them jump in inflatable tents while parents watch the game and -- unlike the Brandt Centre -- there is actually room to move around the concourse between periods.

While the Brandt Centre has upgrades in the works to get closer to what the CUC can offer, it already has something Saskatoon's arena does not -- atmosphere.

For a young hockey player it's tough to beat playing in a top-notch arena, but at the same time -- like the 2,000 or 3,000 fans at University of Regina Rams games in Mosaic Stadium -- crowds get lost in the CUC.

"But," said Coghill, "having a building like this will never be harmful to your organization because it can showcase what you have on many levels -- not only the WHL level, but also the world junior level and the Memorial Cup level."

Other facilities in Saskatoon can do so just as easily.

The city is home to five city-owned arenas besides the CUC and nine privately owned surfaces, compared to eight city-owned and two privately owned rinks in Regina.

Regina will soon catch up to Saskatoon when new rinks are built at Ipsco Place in time for the 2009-10 season. But rather than build entirely new facilities, the City of Saskatoon is pumping money into existing ones.

The Archibald Arena underwent a $1-million renovation in 2006 and similar work is planned for Lions Arena in 2008. The City of Regina, by contrast, contributed $20 million to the Ipsco Place project.

Brad Babyak, the facilities manager for the City of Saskatoon, said the rinks meet the needs of user groups for the most part and it's an advantage to have rinks spread across the city.

"You hear, 'It only takes me five or 10 minutes to get to my rink. Occasionally I have to drive across the city, but all my games aren't there,' " said Babyak.

Saskatoon can help out other sports communities in a similar manner. The city boasts two soccer centres (one with a pair of full-size outdoor multipurpose facilities) besides the numerous parks around the city.

And though the Harry Bailey Aquatic Centre has been a staple for Saskatoon's swimming community over the years, construction has also begun on a new facility.

The new pool will be designed to meet international swimming and diving to draw more competition to the city.

A wide range of facilities bodes well for people like Hugh Vassos.

Vassos is the project development co-ordinator for Saskatoon Sports Tourism, an organization committed to bringing sporting events to the city.

Events like the 2006 Vanier Cup and the upcoming 2008 Can-Am Police-Fire Games are putting Saskatoon on the map.

"Rights-holders are looking at us now whereas years ago, we used to go to them and say, 'Would you consider bringing your event to Saskatoon?' " said Vassos.

Saskatoon will likely host more Vanier Cups in the future, but at the same time, will never host a Grey Cup. It all comes down to what each city can handle. A Grey Cup couldn't possibly fit in Griffiths Stadium, but a Vanier Cup crowd maybe couldn't fill Mosaic Stadium.

"We know what league we play in," said Vassos.

And Regina probably plays in the same league. To many, the cities and the sports scenes within them are almost interchangeable despite some glaring differences.

Maybe Derek Hulak, a former Pat and current Blade, put it best.

"To me there's not really a difference," said Hulak. "Once in Regina, the fans are great and the organization is great and coming here, it's not much different. You have to love the fans here in Saskatoon -- they live and die with the Blades -- and the fans in Regina were good as well. There's nothing but positives to me."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007
Quote:
Kevin Mitchell
Saskatoon StarPhoenix

Saturday, October 27, 2007

CREDIT: Joshua Sawka, The Leader-Post
It's always Halloween, or so it seems, when the Roughriders play at Mosaic Stadium these days, as hundreds of fans wear homemade costumes that celebrate their beloved green and white heroes.

It's always Halloween, or so it seems, when the Roughriders play at Mosaic Stadium these days, as hundreds of fans wear homemade costumes that celebrate their beloved green and white heroes.

REGINA -- You're peering over a concrete ledge on a Saturday afternoon, watching Saskatchewan's biggest and longest-running costume party converge on Regina's inner city.

You see them coming -- dozens, then hundreds, then thousands of people staging the long march from wherever the heck they came from.

And here's the thing with this costume party: Everybody's dressed pretty much the same, except for the name-plates on the back of their shirts.

A 50-ish woman with a perm, bearing the name AUSTIN, walks past a skinny white teenager named N. DAVIS, who strolls past two babes named SZARKA, who cross paths with a chunky old guy wearing a big 23, who stops to chat with ELGAARD and DOMINGUEZ.

There's purpose to the seeming aimless wandering by these thousands of football-shirt-wearing people dressed (and sometimes painted) in green and white.

Eventually, they all end up in Piffles Taylor's old place, a large concrete structure that takes them up and up, some spilling into this entrance, some into that, until they're all staring at the green expanse of Saskatchewan's most storied football field.

Here's where Ron Lancaster and George Reed played their way into sainthood; where Keith Richards enjoyed Saskatchewan's most illicitly notorious cigarette; where the Roughriders themselves spent much of the last 30 years getting smoked.

This is where Regina both begins and ends.

You can picture Pile O' Bones without the IMAX, without the casino, without Wascana Creek. But it's impossible to conceive of this city without the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

"When they were 7-2 at the start of the year, people were excited about everything," says Regina Pats general manager Brent Parker. "It'd be a cloudy, rainy day, and people would walk down the street saying 'geez; what a beautiful day. The Riders are 7-2.' They have a bit of a twist, it's a beautiful sunny day, and suddenly it's 'the weather's nice, but it's a crappy day. The Riders have lost three in a row.' It's funny how that plays on people's psyches. It's football first, and the rest of us fight for whatever's left."

Frank McCrystal, the Regina Rams' head coach, pulls the blinds down in his office on the University of Regina campus.

"I don't want anybody to see me talking to the StarPhoenix," says McCrystal, whose disdain for Saskatoon -- whether real or put-on -- gets lots of media play.

Back in 1997, the shabby state of Saskatoon's Gordie Howe Bowl, home of the Hilltops, prompted McCrystal to famously snap, "The field surface is no good, the lighting's no good, the dressing rooms are no good. You guys in Saskatoon should all throw a buck in and see if they can fix something. They don't even have spotters boxes. It's a city with 175,000 people (actually, 220,000), and they can't do a better job than that? It should be embarrassing for them."

Then-Hilltops' coach Dave Hardy facetiously suggested McCrystal run for Saskatoon mayor before adding, "Frank's pretty lucky that he's in a CFL city, or he may be in a similar circumstance."

McCrystal's Rams -- unlike the Hilltops and Huskies two hours up the highway -- operate under the massive shadow cast by the Roughriders. They're the woman who gussies herself up for the big class reunion, only to find that former classmate Angelina Jolie is already there and plans to stay for the long-haul.

Living in that shadow, says McCrystal, is more good than bad. He says the Roughriders spread a lot of benefits and goodwill around. But that close proximity has its downsides. Front-page play is hard to come by. The Rams scrape and claw for sponsorship dollars, because businesses get more bang affiliating with the Roughriders.

That's the story with any Regina team wanting to maintain its market share against the one dominant player: They have to work like crazy, and be creative.

On the other hand, approximately one-third of the Rams' revenue comes from the 50:50 draw at Roughrider home games. The Rams operate the draw in exchange for the proceeds. Many of his players -- and McCrystal himself -- drew inspiration from the Roughriders while growing up. And when the CFL team does well, like this season, the Ram wallet expands.

"Our best crowds, and our most success in terms of financial benefits, often coincides with the success of the Riders," McCrystal said. "When the Riders do well, we do well. You sometimes hear 'when the Riders are doing poorly, people go to Rams games.' No. That does not happen. When the Riders are doing well, that's when people go to Rams games. When the Riders are not doing well, there's less interest in football -- both in this community and, I'd venture to say, in the football community across the province."

Fly-by-night professional sports leagues and owner-wannabe buffoons routinely target Saskatoon as a prime hunting ground, but they tend to stay away from Regina. They've conceded the area to the Roughriders.

Pro sports franchises crash and burn in Saskatoon at the rate of one every couple of years, usually because of horrendous management. The Roughriders, meanwhile, have intertwined themselves with both Regina and Saskatchewan for the better part of a century.

"It's not something you can tell people about; it's something you have to experience," says Roughriders' defensive co-ordinator Richie Hall, a Texas native who has lived in Regina since joining the team as a player in 1988. "And the only way to experience it is to be part of it."

There's no question Regina is a football town, something that would surprise outsiders who assume it's all about hockey like so many other Canadian centres.

Sure, they like hockey in Regina, and they also like baseball and basketball and a lot of other stuff.

But, based on the shabby state of Regina's hockey facilities, they don't like the sport that much.

"It's very, very poor," the Pats' Parker says when asked about Regina's minor hockey hangouts. "We don't have many good facilities, it's as simple as that. Saskatoon's far superior. Our kids are cheated, to be real honest. Our minor baseball facilities are poor, our hockey facilities are poor ... we really need up upgrade that aspect of the city."

Regina currently has eight public sheets of ice -- many of them old and deteriorating -- and two more at a privately-owned facility. That's 10 in total, not counting Brandt Centre, where the Pats play.

Saskatoon, to contrast, has 14 sheets of ice available to minor-hockey programs -- nine at four private complexes, and five more at city-owned facilities.

Teams in both centres spend much of their time travelling to nearby towns in a bid to find available ice, but the problem is more pronounced in Regina. The city also doesn't have any acceptable facilities for box lacrosse.

"We make do," says Hockey Regina executive director Blair Watson, who admits the facilities problem is frustrating.

The problem will be alleviated somewhat when a massive new complex at IPSCO Place is completed. The 400,000 square-foot behemoth is slated to include six sheets of ice. However, Watson expects some existing rinks to shut down when the new ones come online in 2009, and he says other events at the facility, such as farm shows, will cut into availability.

Over at the University of Regina, the Cougars' hockey team has to play off-campus because there is currently no on-site arena. That's one of the few facilities problems there right now -- a new, state-of-the-art complex has been built that provides excellent play areas for the court teams and impressive locker and meeting-room facilities for the Rams.

The one thing McCrystal lacks is an attractive place to play football.

Mosaic Stadium, packed with verve and character when the Roughriders play there, is much too big for the CIS, junior and high-school battles that also take place on that turf.

McCrystal envisions a cozy multi-purpose field on campus, where the team's practice facility is now, to be used by the Rams, high school teams, maybe the soccer community and field-hockey players.

The last price tag he heard was $11 million.

When the U of S Huskies needed a big renovation to Griffiths Stadium, former team quarterback and current construction magnate Ron Graham stepped in and gave the team a nice new clubhouse.

Graham has been generous in many other ways, something McCrystal's watched from afar.

"For that (new stadium) to happen, we'd have to get a sugar-daddy like the U of S," McCrystal says. "Could that happen? Who knows? It might happen.

"We've got to find one," he adds, "but there's not that many billionaires with an English degree or poly sci or something. But you need a private donor."

Until then, the stadium will remain, in his words, "nothing more than a vision".

Across town, Nathan Hoffart takes his lunch pail and work clothes to Mosaic Stadium pretty much every day, holding onto his paying gig with the Roughriders. Hoffart is a Regina kid, born and raised, who remembers vividly the excitement in the city and his own classroom when the Roughriders won the 1989 Grey Cup.

Hoffart went on to play football for the University of Saskatchewan Huskies before getting drafted by the Roughriders in the first round of the 2005 Canadian college draft. The athletic receiver, who has been derailed by knee problems since joining the Roughriders, has seen sports life in Saskatchewan's two largest cities.

He says there's one fundamental difference.

"Saskatoon's pretty diehard for their Huskies and their Hilltops," Hoffart says.

"They have strong support for football up there. But it is different with the Roughriders being located here in Regina. I know a ton of people make the road trips down to the Riders games here, but it's not the same as in Regina -- this is where the stadium is, where the team plays and practises, where all the players are. It's really the heart."

Saskatchewan's biggest costume party, mentioned earlier, wrapped up with a Roughriders' victory over the Montreal Alouettes. The people spill out of the stadium, voices boisterous, giddy and glad and certain all is right with the world.

The emotional wave sweeps onto the streets and into the cars, where Saskatchewan's largest traffic tie-up is just beginning ...

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 7:40 PM
Has been

Quote:
The Blades draw decent crowds (usually between 4,000 and 4,500) but the team isn't bringing in more fans than a lot of WHL teams, including the Regina Pats.

Much of that can be attributed to the Blades' lack of victories.
And much of that, as I've said a million times here ans elsewhere, can be attributed to the lousy location of the arena. That and the highest calibre of hockey in this town is played on campus.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 9:09 PM

Location could have worked with the right infrastucture around it. But honestly you have to drive there, drive back, and drive for drinks/meals before or after the game. Good thing is in 20/30 years the city can build a new arena in the downtown or maybe near Griffiths Stadium.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 3:48 AM
Capitalist

I still say Saskatoon should build a downtown baseball park ... if well planned it could be an excellent amedity for the area and feed the surrounding restaurants and bars.

In Winnipeg there is nothing like catching a Goldeyes game and then heading to the Forks for a few drinks and a bit to eat. It works really well... and I am sure it could work just as well in Saskatoon.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2007, 4:08 AM

newflyer, PLEASE tell me that you just happen to be a very wealthy individual with millions floating around just waiting to be invested in a ball team and new stadium for Saskatoon!! Because that would be great

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan