HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 2:10 AM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
In reality, these threads are in no way an accurate portrayal of our city's culture; we all know this. You can basically thank two or three individuals, plus the lack of moderation, for the quality of conversation in the Winnipeg threads. It's pretty bad in comparison to the rest of the other Canadian city threads; probably the worst. Our threads need moderation in a bad way, then things will get a little more on-track and civil around here.
A lack of real developments in this city has lead to a lot of the nonsense in the Winnipeg section. The frustration is understandable when you look at other cities in Canada similar in size or smaller who are outpacing our development VERY badly.

However, if you don't have news for a project and have no information on the development what-so-ever maybe don't talk and take the random bashing to a bash thread. Seriously.... If there's no moderation just go make a thread filled with the hate. Why not.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 2:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
A lack of real developments in this city has lead to a lot of the nonsense in the Winnipeg section. The frustration is understandable when you look at other cities in Canada similar in size or smaller who are outpacing our development VERY badly.

However, if you don't have news for a project and have no information on the development what-so-ever maybe don't talk and take the random bashing to a bash thread. Seriously.... If there's no moderation just go make a thread filled with the hate. Why not.
There is definitely not a lack of development in this city; it's just not at the pace we all want to see it at. Yes, it's frustrating but it will come eventually. Winnipeg is at the supposed population tipping point where our city will begin to grow larger organically at a decent clip. As much as I would like to see dozens of tall skyscrapers being build in the next five years, I'm happy with what is going on now, knowing that more will be on the way. Patience is key.

But yes I fully agree, the lack of moderation has killed our city threads, rendering them into petty, aggressive, personal attack points of contact. It's not needed and doesn't add any value to conversations. Again, we are in need of moderation for our threads in a bad way to clean up a lot of the crap that goes on around here.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 2:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post

You are correct. A great example is Edmonton is building a new arena, and the result is billions of dollars in additional projects, including the tallest tower outside of TO. Winnipeg builds a new downtown arena and, well, anyway....

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 3:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
You are correct. A great example is Edmonton is building a new arena, and the result is billions of dollars in additional projects, including the tallest tower outside of TO. Winnipeg builds a new downtown arena and, well, anyway....
Yes because all we've built in 11 years is an arena

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 3:36 AM
BANNED

Not much else.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 3:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Not much else.
Actually yes, much else.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 3:47 AM
Source?

^ This is a good example of 'bad' conversation. If both of you provided evidence to back up your claims we may have a useful discussion on our hands.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 3:47 AM
BANNED

Oh? The Alt? The chalkboard-clad building that looks like it is fabricated from cardboard? Dollar Tree? Admittedly Glasshouse will be nice, but nothing to write home about. What has the CMHR contributed to Provencher? Nothing. You can rejoice all you want, but the reality is that compared to Edmonton and Calgary, Winnipeg's downtown has hardly changed since 201 Portage was built.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 3:50 AM
BANNED

I have an example: Aside from the numerous towers u/c or proposed outside Edmonton's arena district, the cluster of towers being built in the Ice district is nothing short of amazing. What came along with the MTS centre? All you have to do is peruse the Edmonton and Calgary forums, and it is evident how contrasting development is in Winnipeg compared to them. Moreover, even if you take into account the difference in population growth, etc, we are inferior in the development of our downtown.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Oh? The Alt? The chalkboard-clad building that looks like it is fabricated from cardboard? Dollar Tree? Admittedly Glasshouse will be nice, but nothing to write home about. What has the CMHR contributed to Provencher? Nothing. You can rejoice all you want, but the reality is that compared to Edmonton and Calgary, Winnipeg's downtown has hardly changed since 201 Portage was built.
Pushing the idea that nothing has happened beyond the MTS Centre and Glasshouse is a waste of time and frankly, best ignored.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 3:55 AM
BANNED

I have read your posts alluding to the lack of change downtown.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 4:20 AM

^ There is a lot of ground between Calgary levels of change and nothing.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 4:28 AM
BANNED

Well, all that matters is what you think; why question inadequacies?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 4:44 AM
surely you agree with me

don't go downtown much do you?...should go for a walk...you'll be surprised.

should also maybe go for a walk in st.boniface.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 5:03 AM
BANNED

Come now, I know what has been added downtown, but the difference is I have higher standards. I travel a fair bit, and Winnipeg's downtown is dreary. Let's be honest. You can argue there are some efforts to improve it, but sadly nothing much has changed in 30 years. An example is the numerous surface lots that permeate the downtown, and despite years of talk, nothing has changed.

An example of inertia is "Innovation alley"; this could become a really cool stretch along Adelaide, but you think the owners of the Richlu building would at the very least clean the building? No way. This could become pedestrian only with patios and cafes leading up to the Stable lofts. This requires vision, and this is not prevalent in Winnipeg. The St. Charles acts as a gateway into the Exchange, but it is still deteriorating. The Bay downtown? New 30-40 storey towers are commonplace in downtown Calgary and Edmonton, but downtown Winnipeg has so many dead zones, with no new investment. I have been following this forum for a long time, and did not register sooner because so many on here are oblivious. It is sad really.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 5:06 AM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
don't go downtown much do you?...should go for a walk...you'll be surprised.

should also maybe go for a walk in st.boniface.
This statement here can explain a great deal of the wining in this city, for BOTH pro and con arguments. I've met a lot of people who haven't been downtown in 20 years yet condemn it, however I've met an equal amount of people who will call you racist for saying downtown Winnipeg has social issues who have also not gone downtown in years.

You can only see so much on Google street view...

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 5:23 AM
surely you agree with me

seems the difference is you think office towers are the only measure of change....great cities can be built without glass towers.

more than 2000 residential units have been built downtown winnipeg in the last five years...the downtown population has grown by 50% and is now larger than it has ever been in history....four residential towers are under construction right now....there are a dozen new buildings on waterfront drive, the CMHR, convention centre, ALT/STANTEC, Red River College Princess Campus, Union Tower Campus, A massive expansion of the U of W. warehouse conversions into high end lofts in too many buildings to list. Avenue Building, Buhler building, APTN, Central Park, MTS Centre and Eaton's Powerhouse, the MET theatre...new field house under construction at the redeveloped home of Sport manitoba.....never mind the biggest building in the city, Manitoba Hydro.

The exchange district is a completely different place from ten years ago....thousands of new residents, dozens of new restaurants, shops, offices...

If you can't see huge change in downtown, you are not looking.

The 2000 units built in the last 5 years and the 1000 more under construction is equal to 19 twenty storey towers...we just do it differently here.

I know you are just trolling, but your claims are baseless.

Last edited by trueviking; Oct 27, 2015 at 5:37 AM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 12:59 PM
Ignore these four words.

^^This is absolutely true. TV is right, we do things differently. Of course, I'd like to see more new towers, but glass towers does not a city make.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 1:16 PM

Urban recluse sounds a lot like simplicity.....jus sayin

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 1:23 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

If anyone is concerned about forum moderation, PM the moderator and ask him to moderate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan