HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 3:21 PM

Let me re-phrase that.. is this project on the same parcel as land as the old constellation/red river proposal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
No. That was by an Australian developer. This hotel is from a San Diego firm. Also, that emerging projects file is way outdated. Here's a newer one: http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/downtown/...march_2011.pdf

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 6:42 PM
Meh

^I think so. It seems like there's been several large projects that were slated for that area that never went through for various reasons. Remember the Vignette project? It would have had three or four towers that were around 300-350 feet tall. I think now that the Waller Creek flood control project is actually happening it's sparking some new development. I'm wondering what will happen to the 21C project. That would would stand caddy corner to this one. That building is supposed to be around 550 feet tall with 49 floors.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I'm wondering what will happen to the 21C project. That would would stand caddy corner to this one. That building is supposed to be around 550 feet tall with 49 floors.
And what about the Hotel Van Zandt? I keep hoping they'll go back to the original taller design with condos on top rather than the shorter hotel-only version.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 12:13 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
And what about the Hotel Van Zandt? I keep hoping they'll go back to the original taller design with condos on top rather than the shorter hotel-only version.
My three favorite buildings were the Van Zandt (old version), 7Rio, and 21C. I, like you, am still hoping that the Van Zandt will go back to the original design.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 1:55 PM

I have to agree. I loved the original design of the 7Rio, and the 21c, and would love to see those built. I would also like to see the larger version of the Van Zandt built. Add those to what's already on the slate and that would make for one impressive skyline.

Quote:
My three favorite buildings were the Van Zandt (old version), 7Rio, and 21C. I, like you, am still hoping that the Van Zandt will go back to the original design.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 2:42 PM

Has the Van Zandt set a construction start date?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 3:52 PM
~Hook'em~

I thought the 21C spot was going to be used for that new apartment building?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 6:20 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
No. The new apartment building was a few blocks west.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 6:56 PM
~Hook'em~

Ah I was thinking of this 20 story apartment building here http://downtownaustinblog.org/2011/0...or/#more-11073

I just noticed that in that article by DAB he mentioned they moved 21C closer to the creek. Where did they move it to? Which spot? I was for some reason under the impression 21C died and this was someone else taking its spot.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 8:37 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
Yeah, that's another one. It'll be a few blocks away immediately north of The Shore. It's funny how that area had no skyscrapers 10 years ago and is now suddenly going to be the place where some of our tallest ones are.

And yes, I wish they'd go back to the original design. It would have been one of our best buildings imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ
The 21C developers moved their project from 3rd & Brazos to the site caddy corner to the new convention center hotel. The old 21C site (3rd and Brazos) is now planned for an 18-story apartment tower.

Renderings:

The original 21C design and location (580 feet tall with 44 floors).
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/9454/austin21c.jpg

The new design and location. 49-story tower, probably somewhere around 550 feet tall. And a 2nd 17-18 story tower that is probably around 250 to 300 feet tall.
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/696...rendering3.jpg

The original Hotel Van Zandt design. It was 340 feet and 31 floors.
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/333...elvanzandt.jpg

Orientation to The Shore.
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/816...nzandtandt.jpg

New Hotel Van Zandt design with 16 floors. It's probably only around 200 feet tall maybe less.
http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/1912/image1gp.jpg

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 1:19 AM

Well... We can kiss this hotel goodbye: The developer was one of the largest supporters of Prop 8 in California. The moment that that news breaks in Austin, the political outcry that will happen will effectively stop the project in its tracks.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 2:04 AM
Meh

I doubt it. Money talks. It's why Texas oil men do business with Middle Eastern oil men.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I doubt it. Money talks. It's why Texas oil men do business with Middle Eastern oil men.
Money talks... elsewhere in Texas. Austin's City Council has been known to freak out over the politics of developments. We just had a huge example in the F1 track: they wanted it to be green. They're going to want something from this guy as well.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 5:01 PM
CIA since 2003

Quote:
Money talks... elsewhere in Texas. Austin's City Council has been known to freak out over the politics of developments. We just had a huge example in the F1 track: they wanted it to be green. They're going to want something from this guy as well.
It is potentially an issue if they seek fee waivers like the Marriott. The City has an ordinance that requires companies doing business with the City to sign an affidavit stating they do not discriminate on any grounds, including sexual orientation. However, if they do not seek fee waivers, there is not much the City can or would do.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Well... We can kiss this hotel goodbye: The developer was one of the largest supporters of Prop 8 in California. The moment that that news breaks in Austin, the political outcry that will happen will effectively stop the project in its tracks.
You just broke the news!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 6:05 PM

I remember reading this last week when I decided to research more about Manchester. I figured this might pose problems.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
You just broke the news!
This was mentioned 10 days ago (June 24) by "Hellozies" who left this comment in the Austin American Statesman article titled

San Diego developer plans 50-story hotel east of Austin Convention Center

Quote:
Doug Manchester, the owner of Manchester Group hotels, is a bigot who donated to keep same-sex marriage away from California. Austin has made a name for itself as a town of love and acceptance. I hope and pray that the SXSW attendees spread the word of his bigtory -- and, more importantly, financing of bigotry - and don't stay there and give him the money to spend on denying classes of citizens their civil rights. It would be a bad move for Austin to support this guy. There must be someone who isn't financing hate campaigns who could build a hotel?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 7:08 PM
~Hook'em~

I went and looked up some of the stories on this guy. I don't know if any of them are true or how much truth there are to them, but he did fund that prop 8, and if even half of the stories about how he treated his wife are true then this is not the kinda guy we need around Austin. There are way to many loons like him all over Texas who try to screw with our fine city, we don't need him joining the party.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 7:14 PM

I really don't think we need to worry about him moving here. He can build his hotel and the city can collect taxes from him and all of the hotel guests. His political views and character don't interest me.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 8:40 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Get White Lodging to take over the building design LOL. I will be quite happy with them if they had a tower like this. If we don't want that guys business somebody els should take over. Either way I WANT THAT TOWER BUILT YESTERDAY!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin