HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 4:08 AM

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:00 PM

From the Westin rooftop pool & bar 11/26 & 11/27:

IMG_0166 by odelay_jb, on Flickr

IMG_0180 by odelay_jb, on Flickr

IMG_0176 by odelay_jb, on Flickr

Last edited by odelayjb; Nov 28, 2019 at 2:04 AM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 4:21 AM
Meh

This was from that house fire west of downtown from two weeks ago.

Story here. The photo that went with it was too good not to share here.
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...y67YS7t6NwNzMg

https://www.facebook.com/KXANnews/ph...type=3&theater

The fog from two weeks ago.

https://www.facebook.com/DavidYeoman...type=3&theater

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Dec 1, 2019 at 4:35 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 1:53 AM
PrimaPix Visuals

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:38 AM

IMG_29361 by Brian Buskey, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 3:08 PM

From last weekend...

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 4:18 PM
Meh

^Nice. That's cool how the Christmas lights from the Trail of Lights reflects on The Independent.

Drone aerials of downtown taken yesterday. You can pan and zoom in on 5th & Brazos, The Quincy, 405 Colorado, and Indeed Tower. They were also putting up the crane for the Hilton Garden Inn 17th Street.

By: Phillip Stelly
Infinity Design and Photography

https://kuula.co/post/7vbks?fbclid=I...3gPcGDzd8MhN74

Here's his Instagram page.
https://www.instagram.com/infinitydesignandphotography/

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 3:35 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Looking closely at the second picture, it looks like a couple of the residencies in the Spring tower look to be empty? Maybe I'm mistaken but take a look at the right two top floors. Maybe mechanical but I don't know, looks like empty space. There is another on the left side too. This is definitely off topic but I've been curious about the number of units in this and other residential towers DT that are empty, not empty as in between residents but empty as in not built out. I've noticed even the Austonian still has unfinished units.

My question is why are there empty units at all? Price can't be the main reason because there are obviously top price residential units that are occupied and Austin isn't exactly a city lacking in wealth in terms of a sizable percentage of the population. Some of these units are actually second homes or seasonal so they aren't even occupied year around but I'm digressing. We have a housing shortage along with an affordability problem yet most, if not all of these towers do seem to have at least a few empty units. Why is that and why are the companies managing these towers reluctant to discuss or release the number of empty unfinished units?

This post should be moved to the off topic or possibly a thread dedicated to the conversation of housing and affordability in Austin, but because the picture I'm referring to is in this thread, I decided to bring this topic up here.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
^Nice. That's cool how the Christmas lights from the Trail of Lights reflects on The Independent.

Drone aerials of downtown taken yesterday. You can pan and zoom in on 5th & Brazos, The Quincy, 405 Colorado, and Indeed Tower. They were also putting up the crane for the Hilton Garden Inn 17th Street.

By: Phillip Stelly
Infinity Design and Photography

https://kuula.co/post/7vbks?fbclid=I...3gPcGDzd8MhN74

Here's his Instagram page.
https://www.instagram.com/infinitydesignandphotography/
That’s really cool and not what I was expecting.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Looking closely at the second picture, it looks like a couple of the residencies in the Spring tower look to be empty? Maybe I'm mistaken but take a look at the right two top floors. Maybe mechanical but I don't know, looks like empty space. There is another on the left side too. This is definitely off topic but I've been curious about the number of units in this and other residential towers DT that are empty, not empty as in between residents but empty as in not built out. I've noticed even the Austonian still has unfinished units.

My question is why are there empty units at all? Price can't be the main reason because there are obviously top price residential units that are occupied and Austin isn't exactly a city lacking in wealth in terms of a sizable percentage of the population. Some of these units are actually second homes or seasonal so they aren't even occupied year around but I'm digressing. We have a housing shortage along with an affordability problem yet most, if not all of these towers do seem to have at least a few empty units. Why is that and why are the companies managing these towers reluctant to discuss or release the number of empty unfinished units?

This post should be moved to the off topic or possibly a thread dedicated to the conversation of housing and affordability in Austin, but because the picture I'm referring to is in this thread, I decided to bring this topic up here.
The fact that some lights are off in a couple units in one building does not make for any reliable conclusion about anything. But a recent article in the ABJ about 70 Rainey may help make the point you might be trying to make. The developer switched to a new real estate company to market the remaining 20% of the units that have not been sold.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ew-broker.html

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
You can't see it in the photo, but they are doing (what looks to me like) renovation on the top 2 floors on the right side. I've seen some scaffolding setup inside (it's actually one big room taking up two floors).

As for occupancy, I have noticed quite a few units at Spring where there is no regular activity. I can speculate as to why, but I do not know for sure.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton_rogue View Post
You can't see it in the photo, but they are doing (what looks to me like) renovation on the top 2 floors on the right side. I've seen some scaffolding setup inside (it's actually one big room taking up two floors).

As for occupancy, I have noticed quite a few units at Spring where there is no regular activity. I can speculate as to why, but I do not know for sure.
Based on my knowledge of DT real estate, the spring is more people's 2nd homes rather than their primary residence (as compared to other DT condos). It's quieter, with lower maintenance than say, the 360. And there are significantly less units being leased out than in other buildings.

That said, it is definitely 100% owned, and has been for a while. Compared to say, 360 and Seaholm, there are a lot less condos at the spring on the market.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The fact that some lights are off in a couple units in one building does not make for any reliable conclusion about anything. But a recent article in the ABJ about 70 Rainey may help make the point you might be trying to make. The developer switched to a new real estate company to market the remaining 20% of the units that have not been sold.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ew-broker.html
I remember that the Nokonah didn't finish out their last units due what I assume: 1. economy was in rough shape, so cheaper not to spend the money till you had a buyer 2. (I know of a guy who purchased a Nokonah, then immediately ripping out the kitchens and baths to replace them with his taste, I passed on the chance to purchase the "used" appliances from one of the units from the contractor) 3. With larger units, you can build out the floor plan to the buyer's specs along with the other finish outs.

I've known developers to keep a few premium lots off the market in subdivisions for the same type reason. They are typically still "available" just- off market- and for well above what the comps go for.

When you look at the super premium condos, they all sell to high net worth people who have designers-builders in tow, and will never accept anything other than custom. IMO, there are only a few super premium condo buildings in town, most are "builder grade". My Milago and 360 units were finished with Home Depot quality...no shit.

Not to mention, it seems like it would be relatively cheap to sit on a vacant shell.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 6:46 PM

@Do512 Instagram

Zilker Lights time of year again!

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 9:47 PM
Everywhere all at once

Merry Christmas all! (is it just me or is that the core of the Indeed Tower?)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/munna82/49220214232/

Last edited by NYC2ATX; Dec 25, 2019 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 9:05 AM

[IMG]untitled (1 of 17) by partyboyrrock, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]untitled (4 of 17) by partyboyrrock, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]untitled (7 of 17) by partyboyrrock, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]untitled (10 of 17) by partyboyrrock, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]untitled (17 of 17) by partyboyrrock, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 7:25 PM

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 2:50 AM
Meh

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Thanks for sharing this! Really nice photos from this photographer. Going to follow him now

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 3:45 PM

Nice Fotos!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin