HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 7:11 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
I went to Overland's Facebook page to see if they'd posted any updated renderings for Floodgate, and I saw this video---a virtual fly-through of the entire Hemisfair project:

https://www.facebook.com/overlandpar...482209/?type=1

The rendering is impressive. Still not a fan of the design. Much less the cronyism and the way it has all come about.

Interestingly enough, in that fly-through they have a massing where the future "residential" component will be, on the north side of the park. Looks like it's about four floors. Ugh.
The buildings are OK. The balconies are nice. The rotating trees are AWESOME!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 2:10 PM
looking at plans...

General info I can pass along...
General Contractor has been selected. Project bid date for Subcontractors is 6/21. Construction set to start in Dec 2018.
Looks like it's moving along...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 2:01 PM

Hemisfair’s grand park construction begins this summer

From the new Digital News: The San Antonio Heron
by Ben Olivo | Jul 5, 2018

https://saheron.com/hemisfairs-grand...s-this-summer/

[IMG][/IMG]

Later this summer, construction crews will begin to transform the expanse of land at Market and Alamo streets into one of America's great urban parks akin to Millennium Park in Chicago or Discovery Green in Houston, Hemisfair planners say.

The $58 million civic park, as it's known, is considered the centerpiece of the Hemisfair revitalization effort. It's envisioned by planners as an entry way into Hemisfair for people walking in from Market or Commerce streets, the River Walk or Alamo Plaza.

Plans show a large green space and other features framed by mixed-use buildings built by Zachary Hospitality and NRP Group — a mix of residential units, office space, and hotel rooms. The estimated cost of the civic park, the buildings, street upgrades — everything going into Hemisfair's northwest zone — is $300 million. From the civic park, the options for park-goers fan out and take the form of smaller parks, including Yanaguana Garden, the not-yet-designed portion around the Tower of the Americas, and even La Villita on the other side of Alamo Street.

Planners envision green space, fountains, tree-lined promenades and acequias.

But the civic park won't begin to resemble anything like a park until next year. This year, the work consists of "dirt being moved around" — below ground level, utility-type work — Hemisfair CEO Andres Andujar said.

"Super boring work," he said.

For Hemisfair's underground parking structure, crews will excavate 30 to 40 feet deep, which will eventually fit about 800 parking spaces. But that figure could be increased to 1,000 plus, Andujar said.

Some of the park's features, like some of the fountains and the tree canopy, will depend on a capital campaign that's currently underway by the Hemisfair Conservancy, an nonprofit separate from Hemisfair whose mission is to raise philanthropic funds specifically to execute the Hemisfair plan. The money raised will be the difference between a good park and a great park, said Anne Krause, the conservancy's president and executive director.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 5:34 PM
JACKinBeantown

Really? It's going to be like Millennium Park in Chicago?

https://images1.apartments.com/i2/Ag...ding-photo.jpg

It's great that they're making the civic park, but they shouldn't exaggerate how great it will be.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 6:21 PM

I dont think it a exaggeration in the least! This is going to rival most things out there including millennium park! Just because something is in a biger city, doesn't mean it's the best.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 7:58 PM

I must say, I'm not a fan of the planned private development going up along the edges of the civic park on Commerce and Alamo. If you look at the image of Millennium Park provided Jack, the park is completely open. Any design renderings you see for the civic park area in Hemisfair have these large buildings lining the edge and cutting large portions off from people walking or driving by. How would one know there's this huge green space just on the other side? IMO it's not as inviting.

I'm no expert and I've learned to wait for the completed project to see how it turns out, but I'd rather start with a lot of green space and see how the public reacts and uses it, than starting off with these huge developments and finding out our green space isn't large enough for events such as the Final Four music fest that just happened this past spring.

I'm fine with putting some buildings on the civic park space, but more for the enjoyment and use by park visitors and SA residents.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1187 View Post
I must say, I'm not a fan of the planned private development going up along the edges of the civic park on Commerce and Alamo. If you look at the image of Millennium Park provided Jack, the park is completely open. Any design renderings you see for the civic park area in Hemisfair have these large buildings lining the edge and cutting large portions off from people walking or driving by. How would one know there's this huge green space just on the other side? IMO it's not as inviting.

I'm no expert and I've learned to wait for the completed project to see how it turns out, but I'd rather start with a lot of green space and see how the public reacts and uses it, than starting off with these huge developments and finding out our green space isn't large enough for events such as the Final Four music fest that just happened this past spring.

I'm fine with putting some buildings on the civic park space, but more for the enjoyment and use by park visitors and SA residents.
I agree. Houston's Discovery Green (one which I had originally hoped that the SA park would be modeled after) is also open to "the public way" on all sides.

I'm probably one of the few that actually LIKE the designs of the buildings - they aren't groundbreaking, but have a handsome, local quality to them that I hope isn't "value-engineered" out. The placement is well thought out with preserved views to the Torch of Friendship and the Tower Life Building... I just wish it was more park instead.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 9:43 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Really? It's going to be like Millennium Park in Chicago?

https://images1.apartments.com/i2/Ag...ding-photo.jpg

It's great that they're making the civic park, but they shouldn't exaggerate how great it will be.
Just a disclaimer: That picture features two separate parks. Millennium Park and Maggie Daley Park. Two parks that are part of the overall urban park known as Grant Park.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime View Post
I dont think it a exaggeration in the least! This is going to rival most things out there including millennium park! Just because something is in a biger city, doesn't mean it's the best.
I go to Chicago two times a year and lived there for half a year. You got to be kidding with that statement. No one that has been to Millsnnium Park would say that (type it). I can spend (and have) days just walking around. It never gets old. And the interactive artwork is magnificent.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 12:59 PM
JACKinBeantown

If they were to build absolutely nothing in the Hemisfair Park revitalization area it would still be a smaller land area than Millennium Park in Chicago (not including Maggie Daley Park). But a large part of the land will be built on, leaving a smaller area for the actual park. As a result, the new park will be no larger than 40% of Millennium Park.

As I said, I'm happy they're making the civic park in downtown San Antonio. But it won't be anywhere near the size and magnitude of Millennium Park.

Compare the two (and remember there will be buildings on the San Antonio land):

San Antonio:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...!4d-98.4936282

Chicago:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...!4d-87.6225514

addendum: This has nothing to do with Chicago being a bigger city. I'm only comparing the size of the parks.

Last edited by JACKinBeantown; Jul 7, 2018 at 6:40 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 3:19 PM

@fryguy, nope, not kidding

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 9:26 PM

Quote:
If they were to build absolutely nothing in the Hemisfair Park revitalization area it would still be a smaller land area than Millennium Park in Chicago (not including Maggie Daley Park). But a large part of the land will be built on, leaving a smaller area for the actual park. As a result, the new park will be no larger than 40% of Millennium Park.

As I said, I'm happy they're making the civic park in downtown San Antonio. But it won't be anywhere near the size and magnitude of Millennium Park.

San Antonio:

Chicago:

addendum: This has nothing to do with Chicago being a bigger city. I'm only comparing the size of the parks.

Even lake shore east is better. The views from swisshotel are beautiful!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2018, 11:27 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:

San Antonio:

Chicago:

I think you’re taking the comparison too literal. It’s nrver been an acre for acre, tree for tree, sod for sod replication. Just that it would be San Antonio’s own version of Millennium Park. Chicago always has a lot more land to play with in comparison to SA. Trying to compare the two apples to apples does no one any good nor is it realistic.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 1:13 PM
JACKinBeantown

^^ Maybe you're right about direct comparisons. But Millennium Park doesn't have any buildings on it. If this park were the same they would be comparable. Millennium would still be larger, but not drastically so as will be the case.

Major differences in park size aside, San Antonio's will also be closed off from the surrounding streets by buildings, so to see it and enter it you'll have to pass through a limited number of entrances. Whereas you can see and enter Millennium Park from any side.

I hear what you're saying, but I also think the differences are too drastic to compare the two parks. This will be a nice civic park, but it won't be world class like Millennium, Central Park, or even Zilker Park or Auditorium Shores in Austin. You won't be able to have large concerts there, there won't be enough room for 100+ people to be throwing Frisbees® at the same time, you won't have the encompassing skyline views like those other parks... it's just not designed to be that way.

But it will be nice. San Antonio needs more parks. I welcome this one. It's just too bad it won't be what I think of as a perfect park.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 3:46 PM

Quote:
^^ Maybe you're right about direct comparisons. But Millennium Park doesn't have any buildings on it. If this park were the same they would be comparable. Millennium would still be larger, but not drastically so as will be the case.

Major differences in park size aside, San Antonio's will also be closed off from the surrounding streets by buildings, so to see it and enter it you'll have to pass through a limited number of entrances. Whereas you can see and enter Millennium Park from any side.

I hear what you're saying, but I also think the differences are too drastic to compare the two parks. This will be a nice civic park, but it won't be world class like Millennium, Central Park, or even Zilker Park or Auditorium Shores in Austin. You won't be able to have large concerts there, there won't be enough room for 100+ people to be throwing Frisbees® at the same time, you won't have the encompassing skyline views like those other parks... it's just not designed to be that way.

But it will be nice. San Antonio needs more parks. I welcome this one. It's just too bad it won't be what I think of as a perfect park.
This is why developers shouldn't make such outrageous claims. Perhaps a redevelopment of areas in and around the Vidorra could potentially house a large, artsy, park similar to the major cities. I have always thought of this area has been the seeing stones to a new downtown.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 5:01 PM
JACKinBeantown

The actual park will be approximately the size of the near strip of green in Rauls' photo from a few months back. (The one shaped like Idaho.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeger View Post

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 8:07 PM

At this point I'm way more interested in the future plans for Tower Park.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 9:05 PM
JACKinBeantown

The city of San Antonio should buy the Crockett lot behind the Alamo and turn it into a big grassy park outlined with trees, a la Sheep Meadow in Central Park. The lot can't be built up because it's behind the Alamo. They could even excavate and put an underground parking garage a few stories deep. It would be a great attraction for tourists and locals alike.

Crockett Lot

Sheep Meadow

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1722/4...f3539ec9_b.jpg

Last edited by JACKinBeantown; Jul 8, 2018 at 9:15 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 9:46 PM

I've been looking at renderings & the site plan again & all I can say is wow! Just...wow! I love the buildings, the water features, everything about it! & the cool thing is, we haven't even got to the tower park portion of the project yet! This, IMO along with the Frost tower is just about the coolest thing going on anywhere! The SATX is on fire! Again this is my opinion, by all means have your own, but done bother try to change mine. Not going to happen! Sorry, I just have to say it one more time...WOW!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2018, 10:26 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime View Post
I've been looking at renderings & the site plan again & all I can say is wow! Just...wow! I love the buildings, the water features, everything about it! & the cool thing is, we haven't even got to the tower park portion of the project yet! This, IMO along with the Frost tower is just about the coolest thing going on anywhere! The SATX is on fire! Again this is my opinion, by all means have your own, but done bother try to change mine. Not going to happen! Sorry, I just have to say it one more time...WOW!
I am absolutely glad you feel that way. I agree, just not with the wholehearted enthusiasm. This project will definitely be a plus for San Antonio. Now if they can make that park behind the Alamo, it will be perfect.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio