HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 17, 2007, 6:11 PM

I think we can go higher

Old Posted Jul 17, 2007, 8:04 PM
Meh

Sweet. It's odd that they'd raise them that much since the building is still only around 300 feet high so far. I read one article that said there's a crane shortage in Phoenix, (and nationwide), that they pay around $65,000 a day to rent them. Taller cranes would mean more pieces to have to rent. I guess if they need them they need them, but wow. Also it's odd to need that much height over the building even at its completed height of 424 feet. Typically cranes can get away with being 50 feet or so from the top of the building unless they have some huge, tall last section to put into place such as a sign or a spire or something. I'll say one thing, crane operators must have damn good eyesight!

I wish I could have stayed longer to see the cranes at their full height. I did get lots of photos, though. Still editing them now as I type this. Be patient folks!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2007, 9:17 PM

Drove by Vidorra today and they have the base for the crane assembled. Looks like it will be up in no time.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 9:41 PM
Endless Moments...

I was trying to find the old thread for this but, i just thought i would put it here. Below is a rendering of the new Federal Courthouse in San Diego. I thnk it would be awesome if something like this got built in San Antonio, when they build the new one (Courthouse) they are looking into. I just thought i would share...

333 ft
16 floors

It looks really short but emporis now has it listed at 333 ft.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 11:51 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

River North > The REX > Residential

A four-story tower fronts onto St. Mary's Avenue. Two 2-story entry portals open onto St. Mary's providing street level pedestrian access through the site to the San Antonio River Walk beyond. Three towers of 3-stories each are oriented perpendicular to the River Walk and terminate at the river's edge. The towers form urban courtyards in keeping with the cities rich tradition of creating public spaces while allowing public access to the River Walk.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 11:52 PM

Pearl District > Eighteen Hundred in the Pearl District > Mixed-Use

Apparently the area around the Pearl brewery is now called the Pearl District. Don't get me wrong, I like the sound of it but with Portland's highly touted Pearl District, I'm not sure if it was wise to use that name. Anyway, besides that, a new apartment development is proposed for Broadway and Grayson St. This looks quite nice and I think is just the beginning of something wonderful for that area.

Consisting of 3 four-story buildings, 205 apartment units, 2 live/work units, 3 courtyards and a multi-story parking structure. Eighteen Hundred in the Pearl District will be one of many new developments for the now established Pearl District.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 11:54 PM

SoFlo District > Cevallos Street > Mixed-Use

Cevallos Street

Providing much-needed downtown residential development combined with commercial infill, Cevallos Street is envisioned as the “magic link” connecting the established Southtown Arts District and the emerging SoFlo district. 500 apartments and townhouses will create a residential neighborhood along Peden Street. Parts of Peden Street previously lost to development are planned to be brought back to match historic contours, connecting South Flores Street and the San Antonio River.

Four-story buildings are planned to wrap around 400- space parking garages, presenting a lively facade to Peden Street (instead of parking decks). Planned amenities are generous: swimming pools and recreation spaces are nestled in courtyards within the buildings, and roof decks extending out from living spaces will provide panoramic views of the surrounding city.

Ground floor commercial space fronts the street on the East side of the development, and interacts with existing neighborhood commercial space at the corner of Cevallos and Probandt Streets. At the West end of the site, Peden Street continues through to South Flores as a pedestrian corridor and accesses South Flores at multiple locations, providing a healthy amount of circulation.

The architectural expression of the planned buildings responds to the variety of forms and materials present in the surrounding industrial and warehouse buildings. Facades are developed with an urban vocabulary of corrugated steel, stucco, split-faced concrete block, and aluminum storefront system.

The development is split into two phases. Phase I is roughly the Eastern half of the site. Both phases are expected to be complete by late 2010.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 12:00 AM

Rivercenter Mall Update

The redevelopment of Rivercenter Mall will work in three phases. Phase I calls for exterior changes/upgrades, integration of several five star restaurants such as: Capital Grill, Oceanaire, and Cantina Laredo as well as the addition of Lucky Strike Lanes. Phase II will bring the Joske’s building back to its original form by uncovering the windows and ornate brick front. Phase III will bring a luxury hotel to replace the parking garage on Commerce Street and expand the parking structure on Crockett Street.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 7:03 AM
Meh

More to come tomorrow.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 3:35 AM

I'm excited for the infill being planned.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2007, 8:37 PM

does anyone in this forum know of a four seasons hotel in san antonio being built

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 12:34 AM

For those who haven't made it downtown, the Grand Hyatt truly is the Great Wall of San Antonio. I can't wait for it to be finished, because at its current height it's pretty intmidating.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 12:35 AM

I don't know if this is the place to post it but I took a walk by the Vidorra today site & I see where it seems like they are starting to put up a crane. I think the first section is in place and the others are resting on their side ready to go up. I think one reason for the delay is all this dad gum rain we have been having. Unbelievable!!! Also the stem (I don't know if that what you call it) is up on the Vistana site. You can see it from the Alamodome parking lot. Very soon we will be able to see 3 cranes in the SA skyline. I don't have the means to post pictures so maybe somebody will do that for you guys.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 5:06 AM
Meh

Great news about The Vistana. Wish they had raised the crane when I was in town.

Yes. Here's two shots I took from the Tower of the Americas of The Vidorra site. In the zoomed in photo you can see the base of the crane is up on the left side of the pic.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 1:59 PM
Endless Moments...

Oh that is good news about the crane. Now would be a great time to go for a drive and see both of these 2 new cranes up. Very kewl...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 4:34 AM

Where is the other tower going to fit on this lot. Can we assume that only one is being built now.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 1:30 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

You see the parking lot next to the site....thats where itll go.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
You see the parking lot next to the site....thats where itll go.
Where will residents park? I didn't know the first couple of floors were going to be parkin..

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 6:34 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

There is a parking garage in between the town houses

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 5:51 AM

Drove by the Vidorra site tonight and all of the crane sections are on site. Looks that they will start putting up the crane on Monday maybe today if we're lucky.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio