HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
So where is Matt Nichols? Has he just vanished?
Who?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
So where is Matt Nichols? Has he just vanished?
On the 6 game injured list

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The season sure took a nose dive. From far and away favourites for at least a cup berth, if not victory. To this..

Just need to string a couple wins together in the playoffs though.
And the wins came when they mattered. Just have to do one more win this season.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 2:16 PM

Congrats to the Bombers and their fans. It was an entertaining, if unusual, Western Final and the Bombers get full credit for the win. They were able to find the end zone, unlike the Riders and a team needs to score TDs to win.

It was interesting looking at the Rider and Bombers fan forums online after the game. Fans on both forums were calling for the firing of coaches, particularly their offensive coordinators. That was expected from the Riders fans, given what was accomplished inside the Bombers 10 yard line, but surprising to see that much vitriol coming from the fans of the winning team.

Good luck in the Grey Cup. I wish the Bombers well, but feel they're in tough against a Ticats team that looked very solid against Edmonton yesterday.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
And the wins came when they mattered. Just have to do one more win this season.
Walters is a genius for bringing Zach Collaros on board at the trade deadline. God bless Streveler, but he wasn't going to will the team into the Grey Cup no matter how hard he tried. Collaros though, with those crazy field-stretching long passes of his... he is exactly what this team needed. Even if it's just as a rental, it was an inspired move.

I am feeling good about Sunday. The fact that the Bombers have a savvy vet who has been there before like Collaros to lean on at QB has to be one of those intangible advantages that commentators love to talk about. Hamilton is a good team for sure, but now that the Bombers have found the missing QB puzzle piece, they are elite level too.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Congrats to the Bombers and their fans. It was an entertaining, if unusual, Western Final and the Bombers get full credit for the win. They were able to find the end zone, unlike the Riders and a team needs to score TDs to win.

It was interesting looking at the Rider and Bombers fan forums online after the game. Fans on both forums were calling for the firing of coaches, particularly their offensive coordinators. That was expected from the Riders fans, given what was accomplished inside the Bombers 10 yard line, but surprising to see that much vitriol coming from the fans of the winning team.

Good luck in the Grey Cup. I wish the Bombers well, but feel they're in tough against a Ticats team that looked very solid against Edmonton yesterday.
That's an interesting comment. Lord knows I have ragged on the head coach this season but I give him full credit for a great job through the playoffs so far. I mean, the Riders are a good team... who was expecting some kind of cakewalk victory? I sure wasn't. 335 yards of offense was more than respectable for the Bombers.

And as for the slams on Dickenson... I'd consider that to be blowing off postgame steam because that guy performed way above preseason expectations. I don't remember anyone predicting a first place finish for the Riders. He did a great job too IMO, particularly when faced with the loss of his starting QB in week 1.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That's an interesting comment. Lord knows I have ragged on the head coach this season but I give him full credit for a great job through the playoffs so far. I mean, the Riders are a good team... who was expecting some kind of cakewalk victory? I sure wasn't. 335 yards of offense was more than respectable for the Bombers.

And as for the slams on Dickenson... I'd consider that to be blowing off postgame steam because that guy performed way above preseason expectations. I don't remember anyone predicting a first place finish for the Riders. He did a great job too IMO, particularly when faced with the loss of his starting QB in week 1.
I've given up posting on the Main Forum on Riderfans and rarely read the comments, especially after a loss. I used to visit all the other fan sites but that has decreased to nil as well. Its just not worth the effort to read the mainly unhinged comments to get to the one or two insightful ones.

I watched the two games in my local pub in Ottawa. While the main focus was on the NFL games being shown. Everybody there knew the CFL playoffs were on and most reacted to the great plays in the game. That catch by Moore got a big reaction by everyone in the bar.

My old self of 10 years ago would have been severely bothered by yesterday's result. But 5 min after the game I was looking forward to how much fun the match up between the Bombers and TiCats will be!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 5:32 PM
the first stamp is free

I got pretty worked up at home yesterday in those last 5 minutes, and basically every series where Sask. was able to more or less march down the field.

I was tearing a strip off the tv...especially after that tip/ near interception on 3rd down that Sask ended up catching.

It seemed like the game was destined to go to OT. But that goalpost put a quick and somewhat anti climatic end to my stress.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 5:41 PM

I am surprised that upright wasn't named as player of the game for the Bombers.

Also that player that went for interception instead of knock down on the 3rd down around the 10 yard line which would have ended the game there needs to buy that upright a few dinners.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I got pretty worked up at home yesterday in those last 5 minutes, and basically every series where Sask. was able to more or less march down the field.
Now that you mention it, it feels like there were a lot of 4th quarter drives this season where the other team was able to pass the ball seemingly at will against the Bombers. But fortunately this week, as much as they bent, they did not break

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 6:52 PM

The hit off the goalposts on the last play of the game kind of made the game a Canadian football classic (and made The Ringer's NFL Sunday rundown's list of winners), but was there anyone who would have caught that pass anyway? I don't really see it.

In any case, this is clearly a win for the Bomber defense who played their best when it was needed most. Twice. It felt like most of the 4th was at the Bombers endzone. But, man, it's going to take a lot more than improbable goal line stands to beat Hamilton next week.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 1:57 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Good for them. I will either have to find a pub with the game on or drive to The Hammer!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Good for them. I will either have to find a pub with the game on or drive to The Hammer!
Hey Riverman, just curious: What town/city is "Ontario's feel good town". I have never heard that description before.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 8:07 PM

The taxpayers bailed out the Bombers in the late 90's (to avoid bankruptcy) and again in 2018 (to keep the team from folding, for that debacle known as Investors Group Field)... what's the grand total? $200+ million of our tax money since the late 90's? ...

1 championship in 30 years in a 9-team league seems like a pretty lousy trade-off.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 8:12 PM
Formerly rypinion

The province wrote off the loan on the provinces books in 2018. It didn't change anything for the bombers, they are still paying the same amount as they did prior. It was just an accounting trick by the province to make the deficit look bad last year and increase income in the future (since now the bombers payments aren't paying off a provincial loan).

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 8:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
The taxpayers bailed out the Bombers in the late 90's (to avoid bankruptcy) and again in 2018 (to keep the team from folding, for that debacle known as Investors Group Field)... what's the grand total? $200+ million of our tax money since the late 90's? ...

1 championship in 30 years in a 9-team league seems like a pretty lousy trade-off.
What is your problem? Did a Bomber player murder your pet bunny as a child, or sleep with your life partner? You are just one block of unbridled saltiness.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 5:28 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Hey Riverman, just curious: What town/city is "Ontario's feel good town". I have never heard that description before.
Cobourg.

And thanks for asking!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
What is your problem? Did a Bomber player murder your pet bunny as a child, or sleep with your life partner? You are just one block of unbridled saltiness.
Actually, a Bomber slept with his pet bunny.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 9:29 AM

I'm in Calgary for the Grey Cup. So far, things are quiet...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 7:05 PM

I've noticed posts on the social media that things are starting to heat up. Fans arriving today. I've got my blue on today!

Can't wait for Sunday!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan