HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 2:09 AM

I love the Electric Boulevard project. Neat to see Foster and Partners as well as Gehry and Partners collaborating on this exciting project.

Thanks for putting these together nito.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 2:09 AM

Thx for the great comprehensive update

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 1:35 PM

mousquet – Even though I believe London is projected to have an extra million people compared to New York by the end of the 2020’s, I seriously doubt that a skyline equivalent to that of Manhattan could emerge, nor would it be warranted.

Anything taller than the Shard is unlikely to materialise due to the limits imposed by the Civil Aviation Authority on the Heathrow and City airport flight corridors. The numerous protected sight lines would limit the ability to develop a continuous skyline, and it is unlikely wholesale destruction of historic parts of the city (and what give its identity) will curry favour from many parties. Central London’s morphology also developed along wildly different lines due to the distribution of the 13 train termini which created work environments over a much wider area compared to Manhattan where they are more intensely focused in Midtown and Downturn due to the intensification of the infrastructure there.

Image sourced from The Economist: http://www.economist.com/news/britai...ut-ascent-city Further detail in article

Until recently, the three tallest towers in London weren’t even located in Central London; they were in Canary Wharf, and the current tallest (the Shard) isn’t even located in the traditional core of the Square Mile or the West End. Which probably gives indication as to how skyscraper development in London will progress: rather erratically and all over the place.

Whilst it is pretty interesting seeing an ever increasing number of skyscraper projects emerge in London, I am particularly curious about the mega redevelopment projects such as Greenwich Peninsula (below with Canary Wharf in the background) which will be home to 25 x 100m+ towers. To put that figure into context, prior to the new millennium, there were only 19 towers over 100m across all of London.

Image sourced by SE9 on skyscrapercity: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1088

1 Undershaft | 295m | Pre-Planning
Considering this is proposed to become the second tallest tower in London, I believe it deserves a few more pictures and a bit more detail:
- The new building (295m, 73 floors) will replace the current 118m St Helen’s building (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._He...8skyscraper%29).
- The lift core will be located on the external western flank and will be obscured by 22 Bishopsgate. It will also mirror the external lift core of the neighbouring 122 Leadenhall (Cheesegrater).
- The brown metallic beams are CorTen.
- The horizontal louvers will be white giving a cooler appearance from the street, whilst the top floors will use colour-changing paint.
- The current windswept plaza will be excavated to create an accessible basement for new shops and restaurants.
- The basement will also house capacity for 1,500 bikes.
- The ground floor ‘void’ opens up the base of the building to the public and mimics a similar feature to that of the Cheesegrater.
- There will be a free double-height public observation level at the top of the tower.
- Architect is Eric Parry.

Image sourced by SE9 on skyscrapercity: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=483

Image sourced by SE9 on skyscrapercity: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=483

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLee(Toronto ) View Post
I'm veryimpressed with London's development as a big city in the last 10 years! Living in a box-condo-loving city like Toronto, I fully wish that some cities of North America really learned from London.
At least Toronto favors high-rise condo living over suburban sprawl unlike other North American cities.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLee(Toronto ) View Post
I'm veryimpressed with London's development as a big city in the last 10 years! Living in a box-condo-loving city like Toronto, I fully wish that some cities of North America really learned from London.
The local kind of demand is allowing developers appealing, higher-end designs like some of these.

Yet there's the other side of the golden coin. Of course many locals would complain that their central areas got far too exclusive, while their authorities still enforce a certain ratio of affordable housing, I believe. But there'll never be enough to satisfy everyone when land prices are that mad. Affordability is a huge cost in this context. I guess Toronto is yet a bit more convenient and comfortable in that respect.

They're just paying the little price for success, being driven away from the prestigious districts when you're not wealthy enough. Overall, I think they've been skilled in their development policy anyway. The local momentum gives evidence.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 9:56 PM

Hertsmere House Moving Ahead in London

Quote:
The four-storey Hertsmere House office building in London's Docklands has been demolished to accommodate a soaring 67-storey skyscraper by Chinese development giant Greenland Group. Tower Hamlets’ Strategic Development Committee has reluctantly given the green light to the 240.5-metre proposal, which will become the tallest residential tower in Western Europe upon completion.

The site at 2 Hertsmere Road falls within the West India Dock Conservation Area, a district rich in heritage buildings. Neighbouring residents spoke in solidarity with Canary Wharf Group, the Museum of London Docklands, and Credit Suisse, who all objected to the project. They cited density, height, shadowing, and the building's relationship with its historical surroundings as their chief concerns. While the committee heard these comments loud and clear, planning permission for another tower — approved by Mayor Boris Johnson despite its rejection by Tower Hamlets councillors in 2010 — already existed. The councillors feared that plan, which lacked sufficient community contributions and affordable housing units, would be resurrected if the current incarnation was sidelined.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 4:05 PM

Olympicopolis District Planned for Site of 2012 Summer Games

Quote:
Known as Olympicopolis, the development includes two highrise residential towers standing approximately 30 and 40 floors above ground level, and destined to house more than 5,000 students and 500 staff, as well as Sadler’s Wells' new 600-seat theatre. Designed in collaboration by London-based Allies and Morrison, Dublin's O’Donnell + Tuomey, and Spanish firm Arquitecturia the 70,000-square-metre site is set to become a centrepiece for the new Stratford Waterfront. Indeed, the $1.85 billion project will be framed by extensive green spaces and riverside promenades conceived by landscape architect Gustafson Porter.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 1:45 PM

2 Finsbury Avenue Square Project Seeking Approval in Bishopsgate

Quote:
Facing a steady decline in ridership throughout much of the 20th century, London's former Broad Street Railway Station — adjacent to Liverpool Station — was demolished in the late 1980s. In its place emerged a 13-hectare office and retail complex known as Broadgate, originally owned by The British Land Company PLC, and designed by Arup Associates. Mostly consisting of mid-rise buildings in a city facing stronger-than-ever real estate pressure, the precinct is now once again undergoing an overall redevelopment. Recently, Arup Associates revealed their plans for the reconfiguration of the properties situated at 2 - 3 Finsbury Avenue Square.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 9:39 PM

The Scalpel to Cut Through London Skies

Quote:
Another London highrise development will join the class of creatively nicknamed buildings in the city like The Gherkin, The Cheesegrater, and The Walkie Talkie. At 52-54 Lime Street, The Scalpel is beginning to climb above the hoarding that hugs the perimeter of the site. Insurance company W.R. Berkley Corporation will occupy the 39-storey office tower, which fills a central location opposite landmarks Lloyd's of London and the Leadenhall Building.

Last edited by hotwheels; May 13, 2016 at 10:08 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 2:07 PM

The Undershaft building is a disaster and it would be a shame if that became the tallest building in London.

Limehouse and Shadwell (and Stepney) would be good places to see more tower developments, perhaps even eventually linking the City with Canary Wharf with a sort of loose linear skyline. There's certainly enough postwar architecture around that could be redeveloped without anyone missing it. The problem would be transportation... in retrospect the DLR should have been heavy rail.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 3:12 AM

Has the brexit lead to the cancelation of any of these projects?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
Has the brexit lead to the cancelation of any of these projects?
I don't think that I'm exaggerating when I say that we should probably change the status of ALL significant projects in London that are not yet underway to "on hold".

Subscription required:
https://next.ft.com/content/41de79b4...c-36b487ebd80a

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 7:59 PM

Multi-Tower Project Regenerates London's Nine Elms

Quote:
Following the success of riverfront regeneration projects like Canary Wharf, a London developer is embarking on an urban facelift that will inject Nine Elms with 645 homes across seven buildings. Situated on the south bank of the River Thames within walking distance of landmarks like the Houses of Parliament and Battersea Power Station, Nine Elms Point by Barratt London will deliver a new residential community anchored by a flagship Sainsbury's superstore.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 9:37 PM

Brookfield and Oxford Office Complex a Landmark Project for London

Quote:
Brookfield Property Partners and Oxford Properties, two leading global developers, are seeing their new London project on the rise. In a city where whimsical office towers are redefining the historic skyline, much to the dismay of many preservationists, the budding complex known as London Wall Place takes a simpler, and perhaps more tasteful, approach to architecture in the core.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
The Undershaft building is a disaster and it would be a shame if that became the tallest building in London.

Limehouse and Shadwell (and Stepney) would be good places to see more tower developments, perhaps even eventually linking the City with Canary Wharf with a sort of loose linear skyline. There's certainly enough postwar architecture around that could be redeveloped without anyone missing it. The problem would be transportation... in retrospect the DLR should have been heavy rail.
There is certainly scope to redevelop large swathes of the 'Blitz' post-war estates located in-between the City and Canary Wharf; a couple of 100m+ towers, and intensification of mansion blocks, but we won't see a sprawling skyline develop between the two. What is more likely is for a 100m+ skyline to emerge around Whitechapel, and subsequently merge with the cluster around Aldgate, but again protected sight-lines will restrict anything of any notable height.

It is all very good speculating that the DLR ought to have been heavy-rail from the beginning, but it probably would never have received funding had that been the case. You have to remember that most of the London Docklands was a basket case; it even stood in for Huế in Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket. Had the DLR been a heavy rail line, it would not have developed into the sprawling six-line network that it is today serving a very large number of regeneration zones, nor would it have had the large number of interchanges that increase passenger mobility in east London.

The DLR was a low-cost catalyst that unlocked far more regeneration than originally envisioned. Without the DLR, we would never have got the Jubilee Line extension to Canary Wharf and Stratford, and subsequently Crossrail 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I don't think that I'm exaggerating when I say that we should probably change the status of ALL significant projects in London that are not yet underway to "on hold".

Subscription required:
https://next.ft.com/content/41de79b4...c-36b487ebd80a
Granted, following the referendum there is more uncertainty in the market, but you are obfuscating the sector outlook when the fundamental issue with property in London and the UK is the lack of supply that predates the referendum outcome by several decades. It is for that reason why housing has become so expensive, and why office vacancy rates are so low relative to other international cities.

Source: http://www.jll.com/Research/Global-M...2-42219ec19bf0

There have been concerns over recent months about the super-prime residential sub-sector, where the pipeline has become distorted, but the rest of the market needs more units, not less, and thus we will likely see a shift towards more mainstream units in the coming months and years. To put this entire situation into context, I noticed on another thread, (admittedly long-term) projections for New York's population reaching 9mn by 2040. London is expected to surpass that figure in the next three years.

On a side note, AXA have since announced that they are progressing with the Pinnacle project (the focus of the FT article you refer to) which comes as no surprise considering that demand for office space in London.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 2:47 PM

It's been awhile since I've been so awestruck by some of the architecture I've seen in the last 4 pages. Haven't been to London since 1989, and given time to complete some of these architectural marvels, I'll wait a few years until they're completed.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 8:27 PM

1 Undershaft approved today:

https://next.ft.com/content/20dfcf82...499a0#comments

I still think it's too bulky, personally. We'll see if it's actually built.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
It's been awhile since I've been so awestruck by some of the architecture I've seen in the last 4 pages. Haven't been to London since 1989, and given time to complete some of these architectural marvels, I'll wait a few years until they're completed.
A lot has changed since 1989! Since then we've had the London Eye, the O2 (which you can now walk across), the central court of the British Museum, the Millennium Bridge, all of the new stadiums (Wembley, Emirates, Olympic Stadium, etc...), 30 St Mary Axe (the Gherkin), the proliferation of free-museums and art galleries, the rejuvenated King's Cross and St Pancras stations, the Jubilee Line Extension stations (most notably Canary Wharf), the Shard, Tate Modern (and its recently opened extension), the Aquatic Centre and the Olympic Park, etc...

This thread has been mostly about the large and more noticeable projects, but there is an astronomical amount of high-quality low and mid-rise projects. For example the Guinness Partnership want to redevelop their Mansell Street council estate on the eastern border of the City of London and replace it with these eye-popping beauties:

Image sourced from Apartology: http://apartology.com/plans-in-506-s...ts-in-the-city

Image sourced from Apartology: http://apartology.com/plans-in-506-s...ts-in-the-city

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 3:47 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Wow, that's amazing. The ground level entrances to the brick facade building and the underside of the curved balconies on the second to last image give a subtle nod to Gaudi's Casa Mila in Barcelona. More of this, please!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 28, 2016, 12:50 PM

Merry Christmas everyone

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations