HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I think it's a great idea. It's also smart as expropriation can be a huge mess and extremely costly in legal fees.
I agree it's a step in the right direction. I'm a little impatient at the thought that "five annual inspections" need to occur before a fee is imposed, but I suppose that can be expedited if the city sees no movement on these properties.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 4:39 PM

I like the principle behind the whole thing, I just wonder if this is going to result in some unintended consequences. Slumlords can be smart guys, are they going to rent out their building to some terrible tenant who runs the place into the ground and then claim it isn't vacant anymore? Or who knows what other kind of gaming the system could result.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 4:42 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I like the principle behind the whole thing, I just wonder if this is going to result in some unintended consequences. Slumlords can be smart guys, are they going to rent out their building to some terrible tenant who runs the place into the ground and then claim it isn't vacant anymore? Or who knows what other kind of gaming the system could result.
Exactly.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Smart? Unlikely. Unpredictable. Sure.

If they're landowners and missing the boat on pursuing the highest and best uses of their properties, I'd say smart is general.

If you own anything valued at $500k or much more, you better know how to use it.

I'm kinda libertarian in a don't-tell-me-what-to-do kinda way, but I think support this initiative.

I'd imagine that any smart slum landlord would seek to sell his lot or building because the market is strong right now. But that's what a smart, rather than unpredictable person would do.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Smart? Unlikely. Unpredictable. Sure.

If they're landowners and missing the boat on pursuing the highest and best uses of their properties, I'd say smart is general.

If you own anything valued at $500k or much more, you better know how to use it.

I'm kinda libertarian in a don't-tell-me-what-to-do kinda way, but I think support this initiative.

I'd imagine that any smart slum landlord would seek to sell his lot or building because the market is strong right now. But that's what a smart, rather than unpredictable person would do.
Some of this subforum's favourite villains with last names that begin with Z or W are 100% smart people, there is no doubt in my mind. I would bet on them over the City's tall foreheads any day.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 6:47 PM

Quote:
If their goal is demolition-by-neglect, why wouldn't they already have such a tenant in place? If you can either let the place fall apart with zero revenue coming in, OR let it fall apart while also having a small revenue stream from it and a tenant who possibly accelerates the deterioration process letting you redevelop sooner, why wouldn't you choose the latter? I suspect the extra work and costs involved with having a tenant makes it preferable to just let it sit empty, I doubt a small fine is going to change that formula much.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 6:53 PM

^ Good point.

I'd say it's probably less hassle to just let the place rot, but if suddenly there is a financial motivation to find a tenant then you can probably scrounge someone up who isn't too picky. I doubt you'd really need to do much, hell, let someone set up a store like the one in the Werier Building on Princess. Sure they sell maybe one pack of clothespins a month, but the space technically isn't vacant.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I agree it's a step in the right direction. I'm a little impatient at the thought that "five annual inspections" need to occur before a fee is imposed, but I suppose that can be expedited if the city sees no movement on these properties.
Yeah, I'd imagine if it passes they could slap it on any buildings that have already had no tenants for 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
If their goal is demolition-by-neglect, why wouldn't they already have such a tenant in place? If you can either let the place fall apart with zero revenue coming in, OR let it fall apart while also having a small revenue stream from it and a tenant who possibly accelerates the deterioration process letting you redevelop sooner, why wouldn't you choose the latter? I suspect the extra work and costs involved with having a tenant makes it preferable to just let it sit empty, I doubt a small fine is going to change that formula much.
There are quite a few buildings doing that though. The Albert (we'll see if they're actually serious this time), Winnipeg Hotel, Fortune Block before Pollards bought it...

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 9:53 PM

There’s a new comedy club in the Marlborough Hotel, Crickets Comedy Club.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 11:29 PM

That's interesting. I know next to nothing, but as a fan of live comedy, I'm intrigued. Rumor's is a wonderful joint, but the location doesn't always cater to a night out the way some might want to enjoy it. It's a drive in and drive out spot.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 5:27 PM

Did anyone here attend Nuit Blanche this past Saturday night? I've never seen the sidewalks of the Exchange so crowded, even more so then the Fringe Fest. I was very proud to see it but wished it was like that every weekend when the weather is nice. It was especially fun in the alley behind MEC with a dance party and other things going on.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
Did anyone here attend Nuit Blanche this past Saturday night? I've never seen the sidewalks of the Exchange so crowded, even more so then the Fringe Fest. I was very proud to see it but wished it was like that every weekend when the weather is nice. It was especially fun in the alley behind MEC with a dance party and other things going on.
If anyone has any pics, I would be happy to look at them.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
If anyone has any pics, I would be happy to look at them.
I have videos but I don't think I can post them here.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 6:18 PM

Actor Devon Sawa shares his 'one complaint' about Winnipeg while in town for film shoot

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/actor-de...OsWrZqII_jdPAw

its about an intersection

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
I did. I had the same thought. So many people walking from the Forks to the Stephen Juba Park and then to the Exchange. So nice to see that many folks were out and enjoying the night.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalabaw View Post
I did. I had the same thought. So many people walking from the Forks to the Stephen Juba Park and then to the Exchange. So nice to see that many folks were out and enjoying the night.
I too was also out for NB, the city really comes alive. The crowds are a result of the the programming and publicity/reputation of the event.

Does the success of NB suggest that people would come to city centre for these activities on a more regular basis or is the demand pent up and released once a year only?

Here is an analogy, a band can play this city and draw a 500-person crowd once a year but if that same band played every week the audience would never hit 500. I wonder if the same thing is true for the crowds at NB

thoughts?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 7:29 PM

The Fringe also brings the core to life. It's amazing to see all the suburban folks riding the bus and enjoying the Fringe during the summer. I think Winnipeggers will come downtown if there is something going on, but yeah, you can't do NB or Fringe every week. I think more unique events, programming, attractions, etc. will get more people downtown more often. I think a lot of Winnipeggers want to come downtown, but need an excuse. Few would just go downtown to hang around unless there was a specific event.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 8:27 PM

It definitely shows that if you "build" it, they will come. Sure there's not going to be the hoards of people like during NB, but it's not hard to imagine those streets busier on a regular basis.

And the crowds were a lot more tame this year, not any reported incidents. This year the city/WPS put a hard stop to any public activations at midnight (last year they could go til 2, but no music after 12). Spoke to a few business owners who said that worked great, and were really happy with it. People still hung out on the street til 1:30-2am, but were pretty chill – compared to last year where many activations were "on" til 2, and people were very drunk and on the streets til 4.

Of course all self-contained events and bars could still go to normal hours (serve til 2), or apply to serve til 3 as NB is considered a city-wide event. Seems to be a good formula.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 3:12 AM

What if every night of "First Friday" from May till September they did a sort of Mini-Nuit Blanche? Food trucks, a few public art displays, live entertainment, and cut-off at 2 AM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 3:53 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Actor Devon Sawa shares his 'one complaint' about Winnipeg while in town for film shoot

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/actor-de...OsWrZqII_jdPAw

its about an intersection

"...then go past the Citibank"

Winnipeg has a Citibank at P&M? News to me. Maybe this dude was actually in Toronto. Or Calgary.

"Winnipeg, how do you live like this?"

Easy. We're Winnipeggers. Now Go Away.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan