HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 9:43 PM
Honored Member

The Winnipeg Free Press misqouted me. What should I do??

The post they're refering to is the following:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...2&postcount=15

Quote:
New Monopoly might send you directly to Winnipeg
Mon Feb 11 2008

By Alexandra Paul | Winnipeg Free Press

CHAT on the Internet currently ranks Winnipeg's chances of landing a square on the first-ever international edition of Monopoly in third place.

That leaves fans with just under three weeks to go to boost the city up another rung to land a square on the famous board game due out in August.

Parker Brothers chose 68 cities around the world, based on cultural or historical significance and other traits for its international edition.

They will each compete for the 20 spots that are up for grabs.

In the wild card contest, voters can chose 10 cities online each day during the competition which will be open until Feb. 28.

The city with the most votes will land a spot on the Boardwalk property, located right before GO. In the most recent Canadian edition of Monopoly, the Boardwalk property sold for $4 million.

For those cities that don't make it on to Parker Brothers' top 68 list, there's still hope.

Two spots on the board, low-rent properties traditionally known as Baltic and Mediterranean avenues, are reserved for the wild card vote.

Cities can be nominated for the wild card and the two that get the most number votes win a spot on the board.

"Winnipeg seems to be in third spot now in the wildcard," the latest message on Skyscraper.com says.

Voting is on the monopoly site run by Parker Brothers.

To vote, log onto www.monopolyworldvote.com/en_CA. Winners will be announced in August and the new Monopoly Here & Now:World Edition will be on sale in the fall.

The Skyscraper site is independent of the game and it offers a forum for its members to discuss real estate deals, skyscrapers and construction developments around the world.

With the monopoly buzz, Skyscraper has taken on the virtual world of the real estate board game, too, with one chat line devoted to Winnipeg's chances of getting a square on the game.

For a sampling of what to expect on the forum, there's frequent correspondent SmileyBoy, who appears to be the city's cheerleader on the forum and he's also got sass:

"Please... I love Winnipeg and I am very willing to let my bias show through. It deserves to have a much better spot on the board than Baltic Ave... a.k.a. the ghetto square. Not all Peggers are poor cheap bastards. There is plenty of money in the city... lots of old money and some new money as well."

To log on as a guest, click on skyscraperPage.com for a free browse.

To log on the forum, you have to join the site as a member.

Remember, if you want Winnipeg on the Monopoly board, then generating buzz seems to be the best way to churn up those crucial votes.

alexandra.paul@freepress.mb.ca
The woman wrote that said was me who said it. It was newflyer.

I sent off an email to Ms. Paul, hopefully that straightened it out.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 10:30 PM

You deserve a correction/clarification. That shouldn't be too much to ask.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 10:55 PM
I am a typical

We've got a fan.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 11:30 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
You deserve a correction/clarification. That shouldn't be too much to ask.
Yeah, I emailed her and told her that newflyer should take the credit for it, not me.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 12:07 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy View Post
Yeah, I emailed her and told her that newflyer should take the credit for it, not me.
These are just pseudonyms. There is no "newflyer". They probably switched the attribution to "SmileyBoy" because that sounded goofier.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 12:10 AM
Look at me!

It wasn't me it was "newflyer"? How can you possibly expect her to take you seriously! Oh Hi Alexandra this is smileyboy....

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 1:39 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
It wasn't me it was "newflyer"? How can you possibly expect her to take you seriously! Oh Hi Alexandra this is smileyboy....
I introduced myself with my real name, jeez...

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 1:53 AM

Quote:
"Winnipeg seems to be in third spot now in the wildcard," the latest message on Skyscraper.com says.

They also used a line I said - here

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 2:47 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenhead View Post
They also used a line I said - here

Ask for monetary compensation. if you lived in the states you could ask for $343,950,000 in compensatory damages because of all the stress that this has caused you.

....you could probably settle out of court for about $10,000.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 4:23 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Ask for monetary compensation. if you lived in the states you could ask for $343,950,000 in compensatory damages because of all the stress that this has caused you.

....you could probably settle out of court for about $10,000.
I'd be ok with a sandwich from Arby's.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 5:19 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
I'd be ok with a sandwich from Arby's.

I was thinking Arby's too.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 6:37 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I was thinking Arby's too.
dam now i'm wan't arby's off to downtown i must go on this tipical cold day

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 11:15 PM

slow news day?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 11:57 PM
I am a typical

You know what I really want? Some Arby's jalapeño poppers! Those things are so fucking good!!

As soon as I have the extra money, I'm getting tonnes of them.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 2:11 AM
Honored Member

Well, it's settled. I'm going to sue the entire Winnipeg Free Press for every penny they have. Soon your precious city will have NO (decent) NEWSPAPER!!!!!! BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

(Actually, after I emailed her, I really didn't give a crap anymore. )

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 7:55 AM
Back from the dead

Just send a letter to Gordon Sinclair Jr. He'll write a column about how you're fighting big , bad businesses and corporate interests. David versus Goliath and all that. Next thing you know, there'll be polls and lobby groups set up to make sure that this never happens again. You'll become a hero and get your face on the front page (despite the fact that 10,000 people were shot in Darfur for having above average tans. Their story goes on page 765.) Warm fuzzies will be given. You'll get to give a teary-eyed summary of your battle against injustice and how you overcame the odds. What's-her-face who's always writing about equality and all that will tie your story into one of her tear jerker columns about fighting the good fight against whatever 'ism' bothers her that day. Then somebody will write you a huge cheque and you'll get to tell us all how it was never about the money. You did it all for the little people.

Or just send him a letter saying "Suck my ****." Actually, that won't help you at all but it sure would make me feel good. Every cloud has a silver lining.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 12:21 PM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Just send a letter to Gordon Sinclair Jr. He'll write a column about how you're fighting big , bad businesses and corporate interests. David versus Goliath and all that. Next thing you know, there'll be polls and lobby groups set up to make sure that this never happens again. You'll become a hero and get your face on the front page (despite the fact that 10,000 people were shot in Darfur for having above average tans. Their story goes on page 765.) Warm fuzzies will be given. You'll get to give a teary-eyed summary of your battle against injustice and how you overcame the odds. What's-her-face who's always writing about equality and all that will tie your story into one of her tear jerker columns about fighting the good fight against whatever 'ism' bothers her that day. Then somebody will write you a huge cheque and you'll get to tell us all how it was never about the money. You did it all for the little people.

Or just send him a letter saying "Suck my ****." Actually, that won't help you at all but it sure would make me feel good. Every cloud has a silver lining.
haha thats so sad.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 10:00 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Smileyboy, I think you should Cancel your WFP subscription.

Maybe they'll get the msg. then.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 10:03 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy View Post
Well, it's settled. I'm going to sue the entire Winnipeg Free Press for every penny they have. Soon your precious city will have NO (decent) NEWSPAPER!!!!!
I think they're already doing that to themselves, when they redesigned themselves as a community paper in place of the big metropolitan daily they were before the Trib folded in '80.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 5:14 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
I think they're already doing that to themselves, when they redesigned themselves as a community paper in place of the big metropolitan daily they were before the Trib folded in '80.
True, although it was the same with "metropolitan dailies" in most other comparable cities in North America. People have access to so many sources for non-local news now compared to 1980.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan