HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Best Historical Skyscraper in Winnipeg?
Union Bank Building (504 Main) 12 24.00%
Grain Exchange Building (167 Lombard) 2 4.00%
Lindsay Building (228 Notre Dame) 1 2.00%
Confederation Building (457 Main) 10 20.00%
National Bank Building (191 Lombard) 4 8.00%
Hotel Fort Garry (222 Broadway) 5 10.00%
Electric Railway Chambers (213 Notre Dame) 5 10.00%
Paris Building (259 Portage) 3 6.00%
Hamilton Building (395 Main) 4 8.00%
Federal Building (269 Main) 4 8.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 9:34 PM

I wish we could go back to 1928.. building inventory anyways.

This was hard choice. I voted for the Hamilton Building because I've always loved the block work. Second choice was National Bank, again because of the façade and it's a cool corner building.

Historically of course its the Union Bank Tower.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 2:04 AM

Does anyone know if the arches around the Electric Railway Chambers still light up? I should know this but I haven't noticed them lighting up floor by floor for a couple years it seems.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post
Does anyone know if the arches around the Electric Railway Chambers still light up? I should know this but I haven't noticed them lighting up floor by floor for a couple years it seems.
I haven't paid close attention to it over the years, but the pattern I vaguely recall is that the lights all work, then they slowly burn out and eventually a few years later the bulbs all get replaced and the cycle repeats. It's quite a sight when the building is all lit up.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I haven't paid close attention to it over the years, but the pattern I vaguely recall is that the lights all work, then they slowly burn out and eventually a few years later the bulbs all get replaced and the cycle repeats. It's quite a sight when the building is all lit up.
Its a stunning building when its lit up at night, its probably one of the most photogenic buildings in the city when it is. Lighting features can make a building much more interesting, take the RBC building for example.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 7:42 AM

Great West Permanent Loans Company of Canada, 356 main Street,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
If you're counting 8 storey buildings like the Great-West Life Building, there were a number of others that are no longer around in the 8-9 storey range - the Notre Dame Investment Building, the Trust & Loan Building, the Coca-Cola Building (I think it was around 8 floors), plus some of the bigger warehouses like Codville. The Keewayden Bldg. should probably be in there too.
My Great Grandfather was manager of Great West Permanent Loans Company of Canada, 356 main Street, 1909, 1923, was the address on the shipping dock, passenger in 1923 on the SS Montclair, and opened up an office of Great West in Edinburgh, Scotland, then to London Life, it would be now I believe and Belfast, Ireland, from Winnipeg, head office 356 main when my Great Aunty Helen was 2 1/2, and Grandpa, was 5, riding on the large Empress ship in 1911, going into Glasgow Harbor. He was working for the president WT would that be William Tupper? Looking for the history on Great West Permanent Loans Company of Canada, and what is it now, Great West Life? We went on the live our family in the United Church of Canada, Union College of BC, worked there in 1927 to 1937 tens years as a Freemason, Our history was erased and I found it, Manager of Great West Permanent Loans, wow for WT, we are apart of history in Winnipeg, we were farmers our family

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan