HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 3:55 PM

A forumer's long view of Winnipeg

I'm coming up on being a forum member for 13 years. While I like to explore the whole SSP forum, it's fair to say that by far the greatest focus of mine has been in the MB/SK forum and its antecedents. I thought I'd mark the occasion by taking a look back at what has changed for the better and for the worse since I joined this place in the fall of 2001.

Positive Changes

* There is development again. When I first became a member, there was practically nothing of significance under development in the downtown/inner city area. The only development of note throughout the city was suburban big boxes, which were undergoing a boom time. Work had not yet begun on the MTS Centre, Millennium Library, Manitoba Hydro and other landmarks. Even trivial projects that would barely rate mention these days were topics of conversation back then. While no one will confuse us with Toronto or Calgary, there is far more getting built these days.

* Architectural standards are better. There was a real "we'll take what we can get" mentality back in the 90s which led to some real design clunkers. There is a much more sophisticated approach to design these days. We're seeing some true architectural gems pop up throughout the city. There are still some clunkers for sure, but they're less common than they were 15 years ago. Winnipeg has really benefitted from a thriving design community, and it helps that the City of Winnipeg ramped up its standards a bit and doesn't let as many terrible projects get by as they once would have (e.g. Canalta at The Forks).

* People are embracing urban life again. I've alluded to a generational shift taking place where 30 years ago, seemingly every young family aspired to own five acres in St. Andrews or something like that. These days, young people are returning to the city and moving into urban areas once they leave the nest. Many are staying to raise their kids there too. I can tell you many a longtime resident of my inner city neighbourhood has commented on what a huge demographic shift has taken place over the last 20 years... from mostly elderly people to lots of young people with families.

* People are embracing transit again. Further to the last point, young people are becoming less inclined to get a car and drive everywhere the moment they become financially able to. This influences transit riders to live and work in established parts of the city where transit service is at a high standard. Ridership is up across the board too.

* The Jets came back. Even though they soak up huge amounts of subsidies, there is no question that the return of the NHL did more for the city's self-esteem than anything else that could have happened. They validated the positive changes that have taken place here over the years, and improved the city's image across the country. This is made more impressive by how unthinkable it seemed in 2001.

I'll follow up to this post with my comments regarding what has changed for the worse.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan