HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 5:02 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilley View Post
My vote for Saskatchewan representation goes to SASKFTW, he has contributed positively on both Saskatoon and Regina topics. As for the Manitoban, first one to post a picture of Carrot Top gets my vote

Who knew he was so ripped? He's obviously not wearing underwear either, food for thought..

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 5:07 AM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
The more I read the responses here, the more I feel there are only two appropriate choices to be had:

1. Give Manitoba and Saskatchewan their own respective forums.

or

2. Provide a moderator from each province as there would be too much animosity if only a Manitoba or Saskatchewan moderator is present.

What's fair is fair, so let's do this right the first time.
I know many members criticize further fragmentation of the forums (e.g. SSP Local), but perhaps we should consider Greco Roman's suggestion of dissolving the Saskatchewan and Manitoba forum and afford them their own respective sub-forums? Whether such a move will quell or spur hostility between members is uncertain.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 12:58 PM
Creative Accountant

Thanks for a couple of people nominating me but I haven't the time, especially with my job this time of the season and my exams in the summer.

Also if I were a moderator I would likely just delete most of 1ajs and vid's post for irrelevance.

I will put my backing behind Arch.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 3:14 PM
BANNED

Manitoba and Saskatchewan should have their own respective forums, I don't mind the Saskatoon construction thread, but the Regina thread where they discuss the opening of gas stations is a little much!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 4:15 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar
Manitoba and Saskatchewan should have their own respective forums, I don't mind the Saskatoon construction thread, but the Regina thread where they discuss the opening of gas stations is a little much!
Agreed. I find it rather a chore to weed through Winnipeg Rapid Transit, Winnipeg Music/Entertainment, Winnipeg Dining, Winnipeg Urban Initiative, Canada Museum for Human Rights to find out about the latest Tim Hortons opening in Regina. Oh wait, that's a sticky. Nevermind.

Navigation to a SSP:Local Manitoba and Local Saskatchewan would be more work, but most nerds have mastered the art of bookmarking, or have a permanent tab in their browser for it. Make the split.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 5:16 PM
Saskatchewan's Largest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post

Who knew he was so ripped? He's obviously not wearing underwear either, food for thought..

This disgusts me beyond belief. However, a deal is a deal, Only The Lonely gets my nod for Manitoba Mod.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 7:07 PM
I Like It When You Hit Me

Remember when we argued AGAINST the dissolving of the Western Canada subforum?

Keep yer separatist ways in check boys. If you don't care, don't read it. Its good to have at least *SOME* outside input, because both of our provinces are inward looking hick-villes. Isolation, even on the internet, is not a good thing.

Be friendly. Look around. Be civil. Participate.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 7:17 PM
arf

^Which is sad because Winnipeg and Regina share a lot of the same social issues. You'd think there'd be some talk back and forth to generate ideas for solutions.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 8:23 PM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootkao View Post
Remember when we argued AGAINST the dissolving of the Western Canada subforum?

Keep yer separatist ways in check boys. If you don't care, don't read it. Its good to have at least *SOME* outside input, because both of our provinces are inward looking hick-villes. Isolation, even on the internet, is not a good thing.

Be friendly. Look around. Be civil. Participate.
That's what I fear may happen if we choose to create separate forums...but an upside might be that members are forced to leave their forums (when there is low activity) and stroll into another forum for inspiration or new knowledge.

I still venture into Alberta regularly, I don't post regularly because the topics being discussed are difficult to comprehend and keep up to speed without actually living there (personal note: I am familiar with the geography, politics, economy and social issues of the cities and province relatively well. I have family and friends in Calgary and Edmonton and frequented Calgary during my childhood for 1-2 weeks every year during the summer, eventually living there on two separate occasions).

The Saskatchewan forum will get busier, membership will increase and it would be nice to enjoy a forum dedicated to our aspirations/identity distinct of Manitoba (sometimes isolation can be good), and surely Manitoba can develop it's own identity as well.

In the end, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba are Canada's Prairie Provinces, we share many common traits, but we must acknowledge our differences and learn from them (social, political, environmental, economic). Without isolation, it becomes difficult to distinguish what binds and brings us together as a unit, but to benefit from isolation, we must actively engage with each other (be it viewing other forums, joining in discussions in the main Canada forum, or posting in threads which discuss issues relevant to our respective regions).

Separation, isolation, engagement or shared-containment, isolation, engagement?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 9:44 PM

Don't say Alberta is a prairie province! Wasn't there once a 40 page debate on that issue?

At least I think it was here, unless I'm thinking of our smaller, evil cousin forum, Skyscrapercity

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 9:59 PM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
Don't say Alberta is a prairie province! Wasn't there once a 40 page debate on that issue?

At least I think it was here, unless I'm thinking of our smaller, evil cousin forum, Skyscrapercity
Probably SSC...

Back to this forum split topic, I don't think we need to do it immediately but we will need to consider it the near future.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 10:05 PM
I am a typical

I think we came to the conclusion that only Saskatchewan is a prairie province?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
oh yeah, I forgot, Manitoba apparently isn't a prairie province either

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 10:22 PM
working stiff

Quote:
I'm comfortable with that.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 10:25 PM

What's wrong with being a prairie province anyways? I like the prairies!

Perhaps people don't like the word? Maybe a euphemism is in order, after all, prairie is just french for meadow, isn't it?

Saskatchewan, Canada's only meadow province

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 11:02 PM
I am a typical

Manitoba has too many bushes to be prairie. Its mostly like Northern Ontario, even though most people who live in Manitoba live in the prairie and Saskatchewan has just as much Boreal forest as Manitoba.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 11:24 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Manitoba has too many bushes to be prairie. Its mostly like Northern Ontario, even though most people who live in Manitoba live in the prairie and Saskatchewan has just as much Boreal forest as Manitoba.
As petty as this comment will sound, I'm still going to say it.

Saskatchewan does have a significant amount of Boreal forest, but not as much as Manitoba. Plus, Saskatchewan's Boreal forest is restricted to more northerly locations, whereas Manitoba's extends right from the northwest corner of the province right down to the southeast corner, mixing in with the St. Lawrence-Great Lakes Forest area.

And BTW, there is nothing wrong with being known as a prairie province

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 12:06 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^Which is sad because Winnipeg and Regina share a lot of the same social issues. You'd think there'd be some talk back and forth to generate ideas for solutions.
Wow, good point. You know that idea had never even occured to me before. I don't know why?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 12:37 AM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
As petty as this comment will sound, I'm still going to say it.

Saskatchewan does have a significant amount of Boreal forest, but not as much as Manitoba. Plus, Saskatchewan's Boreal forest is restricted to more northerly locations, whereas Manitoba's extends right from the northwest corner of the province right down to the southeast corner, mixing in with the St. Lawrence-Great Lakes Forest area.

And BTW, there is nothing wrong with being known as a prairie province
Story checks out,

Source

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 2:44 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

alberta has more prairie then manitoba but most of it is desert like and can't grow crops on......... infect the prarie streches all the way into the yukon............

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan