HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 9:16 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keng View Post
The Forks site is pretty impressive, the posted photos are good but because their are no skaters in the images ..
Yaa, why the hell are people walking on the ice? Seems like a law suit waiting to happen.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 9:18 PM

Exactly, I don't want to drag this on. I was trying to point out to mister F that your images would be equally as impressive, as the Ottawa shots, if their were a large number of skaters,walkers as in the Canal shot... Of course weather, time of day play a part in the comparison

Regardless, once we have the two records surpassing Ottawa and Mexico City their will be no disputing our greatness...

Photo Gallery: kengillespie.com
My Photo Blog

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 9:20 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the canal in ottowa in that shot is not all open ice... on the sides seem to be

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 3:27 AM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
The two trails are very different. I of course prefer the more natural setting of the world's longest...WINNIPEG'S
How natural are those sidewalks that need to be iced for Winnipeg to claim a record?

And if you like natural maybe Winnipeg should get rid of its floodways. Then you might be able to come up with a natural skateway wide enough for more then two skaters at a time.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
the canal in ottowa in that shot is not all open ice... on the sides seem to be
I'm not sure what you mean by this. The whole width is open and being used.

Quote:
Exactly, I don't want to drag this on. I was trying to point out to mister F that your images would be equally as impressive, as the Ottawa shots, if their were a large number of skaters,walkers as in the Canal shot... Of course weather, time of day play a part in the comparison

Regardless, once we have the two records surpassing Ottawa and Mexico City their will be no disputing our greatness...
All I was referring to was the width of the main skating artery. In Winnipeg it's only the width of two sidewalks. How are the traffic jams when it gets crowded??

Whatever our preferences, I think we can all agree that the Winnipeg rink is the longest and the Ottawa rink is the biggest.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Why are all your letters blurry? O.o
Because it looks like he's using some sort of Linux, not Windows

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 11:01 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by this. The whole width is open and being used.

All I was referring to was the width of the main skating artery. In Winnipeg it's only the width of two sidewalks. How are the traffic jams when it gets crowded??

Whatever our preferences, I think we can all agree that the Winnipeg rink is the longest and the Ottawa rink is the biggest.
in the middle it looks like the ice is coverd in snow

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 11:02 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
Because it looks like he's using some sort of Linux, not Windows
yea vid microsoft has patenets on the font they use so linux has difrent font styles......

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 12:56 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
in the middle it looks like the ice is coverd in snow
The ice is probably just poor because it was later in the day. They flood the entire surface except in some of the very wide sections of the canal.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold View Post
How natural are those sidewalks that need to be iced for Winnipeg to claim a record?

And if you like natural maybe Winnipeg should get rid of its floodways. Then you might be able to come up with a natural skateway wide enough for more then two skaters at a time.
The floodway is irrelevant when discussing Winnipeg's skate trails, which are on two natural waterways, don't take things so personally, this is all just good city vs. city ribbing. Both cities have great trails, just different...

My Photo Blog

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 3:44 PM

Quote:

And the Rideau Canal itself is all natural? Better look up it's history.......

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 4:39 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It's text anti-aliasing. I don't like it either. CRT vs LCD makes no difference when it comes to screenshots since it's the the data that is copied, not the display itself.
That's it! It does that when I go into IE mode in firefox, annoys the fuck out of me. I like my crispy-yet-pixelated words. I don't care what anyone says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Do people go out for extended periods when it's -10 out or whatever? It doesn't seem like pleasant skating weather.
-10 is actually the best weather for winter exercise. Being physical keeps you warm and being cool out keeps you from over heating. I've shovelled drive ways in -10 and gotten to a point where I was down to my t-shirt because of the heat. You just need to get more active. Living in Vancouver all the time is making you soft.

And big "lol" to the moron that implied Rideau was natural!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 5:31 PM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFS View Post
And the Rideau Canal itself is all natural? Better look up it's history.......
I'm well aware of its history. But the Red River hasn't exactly been left as nature intended it.

It's not like the Rideau Canal was created to be the world's biggest skateway.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 5:37 PM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by A moron named DAVID DANYLUK View Post
Too many citizens don't appreciate living in a river city; our rivers have long been undervalued and underutilized. These natural urban features offer more than 200 kilometres of shoreline and are geographically situated so they are accessible to all Winnipeggers. Summer or winter, Winnipeg's beautiful rivers are free to enjoy with almost no negative impact to the natural habitat conditions. Aren't we fortunate that we don't have to paddle, skate, ski or snowshoe on a man-made canal like in Ottawa?
Considering the Ottawa River makes Winnipeg's rivers look like creeks, Winnipeg has nothing on Ottawa when it comes to rivers.

Ottawa doesn't have to paddle, skate, ski or snowshow on a man-made canal, but at least they have a choice. Kind of like how Ottawa can choose to either attend an NHL game or an OHL game while Winnipeg is stuck with the AHL.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 5:47 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the flood way is not the at the same depth as the river inorder to divert water into it that dam at the south end of the city has to rase its gates

the dam in lockport controlls the river levels and in the winter time they open it wide open the river right now is at its natuarl level

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 5:53 PM

-

Quote:
I'm well aware of its history. But the Red River hasn't exactly been left as nature intended it.

It's not like the Rideau Canal was created to be the world's biggest skateway.
But you were comparing the Red with the Rideau and implied that the Rideau was natural. And yes, you didn't say those EXACT words. But due to the nature of your argument, it was implied.

This is what the Rideau Canal Skateway looks like downtown every single weekend while it is open. It gets very busy on weeknights as well when the weather is between -5 and -10 (perfect skating weather). I used to use it to commute to school at the U of O. I can't wait to strap on my skates in another 10 days when the skating season begins!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Considering the Ottawa River makes Winnipeg's rivers look like creeks, Winnipeg has nothing on Ottawa when it comes to rivers.

Ottawa doesn't have to paddle, skate, ski or snowshow on a man-made canal, but at least they have a choice. Kind of like how Ottawa can choose to either attend an NHL game or an OHL game while Winnipeg is stuck with the AHL.
Oh ya, and Lake Winnipeg makes the Ottawa river look like a mere tributary, and How did your cfl team do this year?

It's amazing how these forums turn into name calling and city attacks, when the forum starts out on a friendly rivalry, let it go man, no need for name calling and bringing up the NHL is just an ignorant attempt at getting a rise, and once again it has nothing to do with this thread...

Nice pics..

My Photo Blog

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Kind of like how Ottawa can choose to either attend an NHL game or an OHL game while Winnipeg is stuck with the AHL.
People in Winnipeg can't go to an NHL game ? Could have fooled me!!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan