HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 8, 2017, 7:01 PM
Meh

This reminds me somewhat of a modern version of the Hilton Palacio del Rio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
OK, it looked a little bit like this, Kevin. Look at the roof line. Wasn't there something similar in size and shape with a similar roof in the vicinity of 12th and Congress?

On a different note, I'm coming to terms with this. It will be a plus for SA.
I can't think of one in that area. There hasn't been too much planned around that area of downtown near the Capitol.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 2:55 AM
JACKinBeantown

I wish I could remember more... like the name of it. Oh well, life goes on.

I was thinking of the Hilton too.. Definitely same size, shape and color, with extruding balconies.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 3:53 PM

Not a fan....the huge parking garage base kills it for me. Reminds me of the Castilian in Austin. Not pleasant to look at or be around.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 3:56 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Not a fan....the huge parking garage base kills it for me. Reminds me of the Castilian in Austin. Not pleasant to look at or be around.
I hate that stuff too, but that lot will be redeveloped as well so there's no reason to make it look good. As it will be covered.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 9:37 PM

The rendering shows that it has more the 21 levels. I counted 24.
The garage appears to have 6 levels.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 10:04 PM

There is an article on news4SanAntonio.com today regarding this project. Apparently the developer has been awarded 8 million dollars to build the high rise in front of city hall.
Anybody have any updates on this one??

Oh, and the article is on the negative side, but I think everyone on this forum is fine with awarding developers incentives to build downtown!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 11:31 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
There is an article on news4SanAntonio.com today regarding this project. Apparently the developer has been awarded 8 million dollars to build the high rise in front of city hall.
Anybody have any updates on this one??

Oh, and the article is on the negative side, but I think everyone on this forum is fine with awarding developers incentives to build downtown!
Thanks for mentioning it. Here's the link:
http://news4sanantonio.com/news/loca...rdable-housing

It's negative not because of buildings going up, but the lack of affordable units included in return for tax dollars. Tax dollars, which are paid by citizens, are supposed to provide for the public, not the corporations. It's a gray area with arguments on both sides, including that the city council put a moratorium on the tax breaks and wants to change the rules, but that's the realistic reason the story has a negative slant.

Makes sense... right there in the article is a quote that explains succinctly a good reason to include affordable units, aside from the obvious of giving those without gobs of money a chance of living in a vibrant downtown:

DeAndre Washington moved here from Atlanta and is still furnishing his new apartment on Broadway.

Washington says he almost didn't move downtown because the rents were so high.

“Anywhere from $1,200 to $1,500 for a one bedroom. I almost moved up to the Stone Oak area, right outside 1604, they're a little cheaper," Washington said.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 12:42 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Thanks for mentioning it. Here's the link:
http://news4sanantonio.com/news/loca...rdable-housing

It's negative not because of buildings going up, but the lack of affordable units included in return for tax dollars. Tax dollars, which are paid by citizens, are supposed to provide for the public, not the corporations. It's a gray area with arguments on both sides, including that the city council put a moratorium on the tax breaks and wants to change the rules, but that's the realistic reason the story has a negative slant.

Makes sense... right there in the article is a quote that explains succinctly a good reason to include affordable units, aside from the obvious of giving those without gobs of money a chance of living in a vibrant downtown:

DeAndre Washington moved here from Atlanta and is still furnishing his new apartment on Broadway.

Washington says he almost didn't move downtown because the rents were so high.

“Anywhere from $1,200 to $1,500 for a one bedroom. I almost moved up to the Stone Oak area, right outside 1604, they're a little cheaper," Washington said.
I think the last paragraph of that sentence is most important.

Quote:
The city says developers only get a break on the city's portion of property taxes. They still pay full taxes to school districts, hospitals and emergency services. In terms of economic impact, the city says it’s getting back many times more than it's giving away.
The incentives are not as bad as people seem to want to make them out to be.

Plus, these incentives are/were open to developments offering affordable housing. The problem is, downtown is too expensive to development with regards to housing that a developer is going to require a high price point just to make a profit. A developer has to be greatly subsidized in order to even think about offering below market rate prices within downtown.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 2:11 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I think the last paragraph of that sentence is most important.

The incentives are not as bad as people seem to want to make them out to be.

Plus, these incentives are/were open to developments offering affordable housing. The problem is, downtown is too expensive to development with regards to housing that a developer is going to require a high price point just to make a profit. A developer has to be greatly subsidized in order to even think about offering below market rate prices within downtown.
Agreed. I will state. though, that in New York City (until Giuliani was mayor, anyway, and less so since) there has always been a certain percentage of the buildings that have to be affordable to receive certain tax breaks. Aside from trying to make things not ridiculous for those who are VPs of companies, a downtown will stop being vibrant if the only people who live there are corporate types. Yes, they can afford expensive meals at nice restaurants, but they're rarely the artist types who actually help make the neighborhood cool. The point is there are some things you can't quantify in a balance sheet.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 9:00 PM

Kallison Square project Cancelled
Credit: WOAI NEWS

The City of San Antonio says one of the housing projects in our story that was to receive $8 million in incentives was cancelled in March 2018. The Kallison Square project, which was to have included 350 apartments, shops and offices across from city hall, was included on a list of downtown incentive deals provided to News 4 as part of an open records request earlier this year. The project was removed from a later list provided to News 4 late Friday, June 30th. However, the city did not notify us of the change until Monday, July 2nd. The total amount of city incentives given to developers under the program, $93 million, remains accurate.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 9:15 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysal View Post
Kallison Square project Cancelled
Credit: WOAI NEWS

The City of San Antonio says one of the housing projects in our story that was to receive $8 million in incentives was cancelled in March 2018. The Kallison Square project, which was to have included 350 apartments, shops and offices across from city hall, was included on a list of downtown incentive deals provided to News 4 as part of an open records request earlier this year. The project was removed from a later list provided to News 4 late Friday, June 30th. However, the city did not notify us of the change until Monday, July 2nd. The total amount of city incentives given to developers under the program, $93 million, remains accurate.
I'm not mad at it, They can choose a better design.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 12:55 AM
JACKinBeantown

I wasn't crazy about the design, but it was OK. Plus the retail... oh, the retail!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 12:20 AM

There will be an update soon on this.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txdev View Post
There will be an update soon on this.

I thought I read this project was cancelled. What do you mean by an update??

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
I thought I read this project was cancelled. What do you mean by an update??
From mysa.com:

The project was not feasible for him, and he is continuing to explore other residential development options for the site,” Jacks said.

https://www.expressnews.com/real-est...r-13047909.php

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 2:13 PM
James

They should design a more slender building. I'm tired of these wide @$$ towers being built here.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
From mysa.com:

The project was not feasible for him, and he is continuing to explore other residential development options for the site,” Jacks said.

https://www.expressnews.com/real-est...r-13047909.php

OH OK!!
THANKS!
THAT'S GREAT!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 5:20 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
They should design a more slender building. I'm tired of these wide @$$ towers being built here.
Residential highrises and hotels are often wide buildings because it costs less to build one core with elevator banks and have a long, uniform hallway down the middle leading to each door. Just look at Las Vegas.

https://i2.wp.com/2bigboys.com/wp-co...as-skyline.jpg

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 6:33 PM
James

Quote:
Residential highrises and hotels are often wide buildings because it costs less to build one core with elevator banks and have a long, uniform hallway down the middle leading to each door. Just look at Las Vegas.

https://i2.wp.com/2bigboys.com/wp-co...as-skyline.jpg
thanks for that, i guess it looks better when there are a lot of them. But not when we have them so far apart.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 12:18 PM

San Antonio Express News
GrayStreet buys 1.7-acre property across from City Hall
Richard Webner
September 24, 2018

https://www.expressnews.com/real-est...e-13254277.php

Downtown developer GrayStreet Partners has purchased 1.7 acres of property across the street from City Hall where an Austin developer recently canceled plans to build an $83 million apartment and retail tower.

The firm, which is already working on numerous urban redevelopment projects downtown and around The Pearl, is exploring its options for the property at the southwest corner of Flores and Dolorosa streets, spokeswoman Tomoko Iimura Alavi said in an email. Seven historic buildings are on the site, some occupied by retail businesses and others vacant.

GrayStreet’s purchase could add even more momentum to the surge of new development in store for the Zona Cultural district of west downtown. The city and county have been putting great effort into rehabilitating the district, which is largely dominated by parking lots, vacant storefronts, government offices and law firms, making it dormant after business hours.

Last week, the University of Texas at San Antonio announced plans to build a major downtown expansion on more than 5 acres of land owned by the city and county in the area. The plans include a $57 million School of Data Science that would be next to the property GrayStreet just purchased.

GrayStreet’s new property is a block east of San Pedro Creek, which the city and county are rehabilitating at a cost of $175 million in the hope that it will bring new life to the area.

Also nearby, Weston Urban is constructing a new 23-story headquarters for Frost Bank, and a new federal courthouse is set to be built. Weston Urban has spent the last few years accumulating properties in the area, including a two-story building across from City Hall earlier this month. Another developer plans to build an 18-story hotel and office tower on Main Plaza, a block away.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio