HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 1:39 AM

Condo Intercom/Buzzer issues

Hey all,
I was wondering if there was any sort of law relating to having an exterior buzzer system on a Condo or Apartment building. These used to be needed, but now that everyone has a cellphone, they really aren't worth the price, especially on a smaller building.
Thanks!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat1 View Post
Hey all,
I was wondering if there was any sort of law relating to having an exterior buzzer system on a Condo or Apartment building. These used to be needed, but now that everyone has a cellphone, they really aren't worth the price, especially on a smaller building.
Thanks!
Notwithstanding the existence of a law what do you consider a smaller building. Are you saying that someone calls you upon their arrival to your building and you go down to let them in. Or would you still have a keyboard at the main doors to let them in? Obviously this would be quite a nuisance in a tall building (20+stories) but would enhance security if you went down to let them and only them in. Wouldn't work so well if you're elderly and motion challenged, physically challenged, quite ill etc....

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 8:45 PM

Basically we used to have no lock on the first door, inside was heated and had the buzzer system, and our mailboxes and people could use the intercom to get buzzed in the second door.
We've had some not very nice people doing not very nice things in there, and it was a little worse this winter, when someone broke into a few mailboxes looking for xmas money.

The board wants to move the buzzer system outside and lock both doors. This wont be cheap, plus we dont know if the buzzer system can handle the weather.

My thoughts were to just put a key/keypad combo lock on the exterior door, so that we can give friends, delivery people, the mailman etc the code, at which point they can use the buzzer system if needed.

This would save a bunch of money, as well as allow any of us that maybe forgets their keys to punch in and enjoy the warmth until we can get back in the building.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 7:27 PM

My building locks the exterior door at 9 pm - we had the front door switched to mag locks so it is virtually impossible to make the lock not work. Key is switching from keys to either prox or a 2 wire system, so you can track everyone who opens the door, and you can issue lots of keys for cheap (and cancel problem ones without a lock smith). It is way cheaper to do this now than 15 years ago - like maybe $15 grand for an entire system versus like $5 grand a door.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 2:29 AM

I like the idea of a keypad/key combo, just in case I get locked out taking the dog out for a bathroom break. While I dont mind the idea of the mag lock, its probably not worth the expense.
Really I was just hoping someone would know if we are required to have an accessible buzzer system.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 3:09 PM

Why would you need one? As long as there is a system for fire, telus, shaw, etc. Just be warned, as soon as we started locking the outside door (before we put in the the electronic keys) someone forced one of the lock boxes to get in.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues