HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 1:40 PM
ARTchitecture

Denver's metro estimate for 2012 was 2 900 000, just over 2x the size of metro Calgary.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Denver's metro estimate for 2012 was 2 900 000, just over 2x the size of metro Calgary.
In an area that covers 21 000km2

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
Things seem to have been worse since the flood, or at least it shifted the lowlifes around a bit. Kensington also seems to have a bumper crop of dirtbag punk kids this year.
I'm not sure what it is, just seem to be more sketchy people around this year. I don't know what effect the flood would have had though. I was going to suggest it's due to the work in the East Village, but that's been going on for a few years now, so the change should have happened then, not now.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 3:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
In an area that covers 21 000km2
Yeah true, vs. 5,000 sq km for Calgary's metro area. Funny how that works.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 4:05 PM
ARTchitecture

That's just how the majority of American metros calculate their areas. We should never try to emulate such a thing. Our metro will be big enough once Okotoks and Foothills are included, I estimate about 7000 km2? Still well below the size of Edmonton's though.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 4:15 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what it is, just seem to be more sketchy people around this year. I don't know what effect the flood would have had though. I was going to suggest it's due to the work in the East Village, but that's been going on for a few years now, so the change should have happened then, not now.
More people around in general it seems. I have noticed a bump in sketchy behaviour but it's hard to say if it is more than usual, shifted around a bit or just a function of the overall busyness increasing which is noticeable as well.

Hell, I got caught in a bicycle traffic jam last week on 11th Street of about 20 cyclists all at once. Definite bump in bicycle numbers over last summer.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 4:19 PM

Something related, highlights some changing trends in the inner city. This is the counts of cyclists using 10th Street NW. Many (or most) end up cutting onto 9A Street and over to the LRT Bridge / Peace Bridge too.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
That's just how the majority of American metros calculate their areas. We should never try to emulate such a thing. Our metro will be big enough once Okotoks and Foothills are included, I estimate about 7000 km2? Still well below the size of Edmonton's though.
Yup, no need to include Banff and Gleichen, Olds and Claresholm in the Calgary Metro.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post
More people around in general it seems. I have noticed a bump in sketchy behaviour but it's hard to say if it is more than usual, shifted around a bit or just a function of the overall busyness increasing which is noticeable as well.

Hell, I got caught in a bicycle traffic jam last week on 11th Street of about 20 cyclists all at once. Definite bump in bicycle numbers over last summer.
I've been going down 11St in order to hop on the LRT in the mornings and have been very surprised at the number of cyclists using that street. The anti cyclist people must have blinders on when they drive through the core.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 4:25 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Yup, no need to include Banff and Gleichen, Olds and Claresholm in the Calgary Metro.
I certainly wouldn't mind including Banff and Canmore But of course that would be almost as ridiculous as having a metro area the size of El Salvador, such as Denver.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 4:39 PM

Quote:
I've been going down 11St in order to hop on the LRT in the mornings and have been very surprised at the number of cyclists using that street. The anti cyclist people must have blinders on when they drive through the core.
Ah then you must be one of the hundred pedestrians that pile up waiting painfully long to cross 9th Ave in the morning

Above all, 11th Street can use some love. 8th Street is busier and deserves the upgrade slated for it; but all I am asking for is repaving the bumps over the CPR tracks and a sidewalk worthy of such traffic.

I'd die happy if they gave 11th Street the light cycle priority that it and the Beltline deserves. What would all that cost to fix? 100K? They could probably do it in a weekend.

http://makecalgary.com/?p=13597

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 4:40 PM

Quote:
And they do have blinders on... I can't tell you how many times I have almost been right-hooked by a car cutting through the bike lane to a street or alley. Yikes, separated facilities can't come soon enough.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 4:45 PM

I'd love to live long enough to see the following happen in downtown Calgary:
1) stadium and arena "entertainment complex"
2) underground LRT!
3) super tall building (70+ stories)

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 4:58 PM
ARTchitecture

For me, I'd like to live to see the Downtown + Beltline/Mission combined population exceed 150 000. Though, I guess it would be best for us to pass 50 000 first We're currently around 40 000.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Ah then you must be one of the hundred pedestrians that pile up waiting painfully long to cross 9th Ave in the morning

Above all, 11th Street can use some love. 8th Street is busier and deserves the upgrade slated for it; but all I am asking for is repaving the bumps over the CPR tracks and a sidewalk worthy of such traffic.

I'd die happy if they gave 11th Street the light cycle priority that it and the Beltline deserves. What would all that cost to fix? 100K? They could probably do it in a weekend.

http://makecalgary.com/?p=13597
I stand there for a few minutes every morning, probably wait about 5 for the light at 9th and then get 30 seconds to cross lol. I don't really think it's that big of a deal though, there are a massive amount of cars using 9th as a way into downtown, sufficient that when they do finally build an underpass there I think it will cut under 9th as well as the train tracks.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 5:44 PM

Quote:
I stand there for a few minutes every morning, probably wait about 5 for the light at 9th and then get 30 seconds to cross lol. I don't really think it's that big of a deal though, there are a massive amount of cars using 9th as a way into downtown, sufficient that when they do finally build an underpass there I think it will cut under 9th as well as the train tracks.
I am all for a 2 minute cycle vs. 30 seconds. but the current 4 or 5 minute vs. 30 seconds is a bit onerous. It really does take 10 minutes to walk three blocks some days. That unacceptably penalizes locals over the commuter flow IMO but I know what you mean, 9th Ave is a very busy route.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 6:29 PM

Quote:
I am all for a 2 minute cycle vs. 30 seconds. but the current 4 or 5 minute vs. 30 seconds is a bit onerous. It really does take 10 minutes to walk three blocks some days. That unacceptably penalizes locals over the commuter flow IMO but I know what you mean, 9th Ave is a very busy route.
Would a +15 be built between the Stampede Pontiac towers and the future WAM development on the south side of 9th?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 6:38 PM
ARTchitecture

Anyone think we will add 10 000 new people to the core (Downtown [CBD, Eau Claire, West Village, East Village, Chinatown], Beltline, and Mission) by the time this boom ends (let's say around 2020) ?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Would a +15 be built between the Stampede Pontiac towers and the future WAM development on the south side of 9th?
I would rather see the leveraging of the new WLRT and NW LRT continue to take commuter share from that direction (as a majority already use these two routes during rush-hour to enter the core) and reduce the need for such a wide high-speed free-flow road in the area. Also re-configuring the 14th / Bow Trail / West Village area would break up and change traffic patterns significantly so the perceived need to have 5 uninterrupted mins of 5 lanes of East-bound 9th Ave traffic is no longer required.

If you can get to a 4-lane, 2 minute vs. 30 sec configuration during all times of the day that will be an ideal compromise over the very one-sided auto commuter vs. everyone else differential right now.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 7:27 PM

As I alluded to earlier, the only reasonable solution at 9Ave and 11St SW is to build an underpass. I think it's absolutely that we still have an at grade freight train crossing in the downtown of a major city in 2014. Anyone know the timeline for this? I assume it's a long way off...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues