HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 9:08 PM
City of Blinding Lights

I like the steel siding but I think that it has to fit architecturally with your house. Otherwise it might look off. I am a huge fan of Hardie Board. It's so low maintenance and looks fantastic.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 3:02 AM

There used to be a salesguy who would have sample panels of plastic, aluminum, wood and steel siding. As part of the spiel he'd take out a ball-peen hammer and whack each of the panels to show the results of 'Calgary's famous hailstorm damage' to outdoor siding.

Of course the wood siding fared best because it was actually solid oak. However what you ended up getting stapled on your house was the cheaper 'chip-board' that was pressed together with glue, wood-chips and sawdust. There was even fake 'saw marks' and 'growth rings' on the 'good side' that were pressed into the sticks as they were run through the presses.

I would spend a little extra on a quality product that doesn't need to be replaced every time the 'hailstorm of the decade' hammers on the side of the house. It's painful enough to repair hailstorm damage done to roofs as well as cars & RVs and other expensive items normally left outside, without adding new siding too. With a proper roof overhang, it should take the brunt of the damage unless the hail stones are flying horizontally.

There are some houses in Silver Springs where you can see the home-owner (or more likely the insurance company) only replaced the damaged side of the house with new siding that didn't match the rest of the house.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 5:30 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
There are some houses in Silver Springs where you can see the home-owner (or more likely the insurance company) only replaced the damaged side of the house with new siding that didn't match the rest of the house.
It's usually a combination of both. If a homeowner is stuck with the full bill, they almost invariably will only replace the damaged portions. But when the insurance companies try this, people scream bloody murder.

It really depends on your insurance company and (if they're tightwads) how willing you are as a homeowner to shoulder some of the burden.

Same goes for roofing, flooring, or damn near anything else.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 8:09 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
Bigtime, did you pick the type of siding yet? My vote is either Hardie board or steel. I'm surprised at the variety of Hardie exterior products and good variety of colour choices.
We have not decided yet, just beginning to actually start the design process of our renovation now.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 3:34 PM
Westgate Newbie

Ive done bit of looking around now too, as I will be building a garage/workshop this fall. I am considering this look - Shou-Sugi-Ban.

I think if accented with natural unburnt cedar you could make for a very interesting look. Bigtime can you explain more about what you mentioned with the community or home association? When you want to do stuff like this what kind of approvals do you need? Is it a building permit? I am new to the exterior game.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 6:01 PM
cow orker

Bigtime, what have you learned?

Spring is around the corner and I've seen a few houses with steel siding integrated and thought of you. I don't think city permits are needed, but could be wrong. Home Owner Associations probably don't apply in your neighbourhood.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues