HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 7:34 PM
-

Hard Rock Hotel

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 8:14 PM
-

Virgin Hotel

Keep an eye out for this parking lot and construction to start any day now!

550 Baronne St·Dumpster/Construction Zone · Ref Code:TP0EDD
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Dumpster/Construction Zone
Applicant:
Broadmoor, LLC
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
3/21/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
This permit request is to establish the construction zone of the Virgin Hotel at the corner of Baronne St. and Lafayette St. This permit request includes a stamped Traffic Control Devices Plan for the duration of the project.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 8:30 PM
-

738 Canal St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:T5RXK3
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
C Williams John
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
3/25/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Remove existing deteriorated stucco banding and fixed wood shutters at windows on street facades and replace with same detail stucco banding and fixed wood shutters. Miscellaneous repairs around windows including painting and caulking. All details and colors to match existing including painting the new wood shutters.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
iI just dont understand the point of it doesnt feel right? why should it matter what feels right to you? Are you the owner ? did you invest your own personal capital into these projects? Just a really pompous thing to assume your views are somehow supposed to be valued in a private, market driven economy! Unless you are personally investing in these projects I dont think anyone is interested in what feels right to you. Frankly, the market can care less!
Perhaps it's more pompous to think that people shouldn't have a right to housing and that just because we live in a market-based economy that's the way it should be. Just because I can't afford to invest and people can't afford to live in the town doesn't mean we should value that less. Wealth ≠ value.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 8:58 PM
-

ok im done with that conversation... just going to start blocking people from my feed... this is a development forum not a place to discuss social policy

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
its not your home if you dont own it
this seems less like a "social policy" and more like uber-privileged ignorance from a cartoon super-villain.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 10:48 PM

I vote to take the political dribble elsewhere. I suspect I am in the majority. No reason to highjack a perfectly good forum...

Old Posted Mar 25, 2019, 10:59 PM
NOLA Razorback

New Virgin hotel looks great. Excited to have that start to go up.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
I vote to take the political dribble elsewhere. I suspect I am in the majority. No reason to highjack a perfectly good forum...
I vote the same. This is a great place to get news of New Orleans development, architecture, and building projects. If you want to discuss something else, there are plenty of forums for you to use.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 3:20 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by York1 View Post
I vote the same. This is a great place to get news of New Orleans development, architecture, and building projects. If you want to discuss something else, there are plenty of forums for you to use.
ive blocked two posters already tonight... not interested in it anymore...

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 3:25 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
New Virgin hotel looks great. Excited to have that start to go up.
me too i think will be a neat addition to the hotel scene here

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Ugh what an ugly project. I was hoping it would get better with the change to Hard Rock, but they kept the design.
I don't think they had much freedom in the design. They originally approved a very modern building that was mostly metal panels, but the city ultimately created a panel of architects to help design the final product with the building architect and HDLC.

What is going up now is the product of that committee. It looks like the panels are almost finished on the lower section along Iberville.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 4:46 AM

Very glad to see the Virgin Hotel will finally begin construction. Also, nice to see the Oil & Gas building has construction fencing up for the hotel conversion.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 12:47 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
Very glad to see the Virgin Hotel will finally begin construction. Also, nice to see the Oil & Gas building has construction fencing up for the hotel conversion.
they seem to be cruising on that demo and prep for the renovation on that building so i expect that one to open late st first quarter next year too

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
I am very excited about the Oil & Gas Building renovation, it will transform that section of the CBD.

The intersection of Rampart and Common is a cluster for both cars and pedestrians. It's always been a fantasy of mine for the city to redesign that intersection, including widening the sidewalks in front of the Oil and Gas Building and the California Building.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 8:06 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckett5425 View Post
I am very excited about the Oil & Gas Building renovation, it will transform that section of the CBD.

The intersection of Rampart and Common is a cluster for both cars and pedestrians. It's always been a fantasy of mine for the city to redesign that intersection, including widening the sidewalks in front of the Oil and Gas Building and the California Building.
seriously you arent kidding.. the distance from the curb to the corner of the Oil and gas building must be like 5 feet tops.. pretty amazing more vehicles havent just crashed right into it .. the building between the oil and gas and the troubadour hotel is becoming a boutique hotel and garage as well completing the transformation of the whole block .. pretty amazing to see when you think about how dead it was just a few years ago

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 10:16 PM
-

2 Poydras St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:W5C1QR
Type:
Applicant:
Marcelle Walter
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
3/26/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
THE GENERAL SCOPE OF WORK FOR THIS PROJECT IS TO RENOVATE THE GUESTROOMS, GUESTROOM BATHROOMS, SUITES, CORRIDORS, ELEVATOR LOBBIES, AND VENDING AREAS AS NOTED IN THE DRAWINGS AND SPECIFICATIONS ON FLOORS 3-5 OF THE HILTON RIVERSIDE NEW ORLEANS. THIS WORK INCLUDES, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO REPLACING FLOOR, WALL, AND CEILING FINISHES, NEW LAMPING IN EXISTING LIGHT FIXTURES, NEW BATHROOM FIXTURES AND ACCESSORIES, NEW ELECTRICAL COVER PLATES, NEW SUITE APPLIANCES, AND NEW DOOR HARDWARE. THE SCOPE ALSO INCLUDES REMOVAL OF EXISTING FFE ITEMS, AND INSTALLATION OF NEW FFE ITEMS AS NOTED IN THE DRAWINGS AND SPECIFICATIONS.

djsnola
1000 Girod St Ste 104A·Renovation (Structural) · Ref Code:KTPTMS
Type:
Renovation (Structural)
Applicant:
Michael Martin
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
3/26/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Tenant Interior Upfit of New Multi-Tenant Shell Building. Starbucks will be the first tenant in the new building and occupy an End Cap tenant space. Signage will be submitted under a separate permit.

djsnola
622 Canal St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:NSVC7J
Type:
Applicant:
C Williams John
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
3/25/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Renovate existing 950sf coffee shop per plans. ARC submittal for facade review.

djsnola
707 Canal St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:14YFCF
Type:
Applicant:
Motwani Aaron
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
3/26/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Remove all existing, unpermitted and/or unshielded flood light fixtures (3). Install three (3) Kichler Lighting 9834WH White light fixtures. Each fixture is to be centered over the first floor door openings. Fixtures shall be painted or prefinished to match adjacent building surface. All wiring shall be placed in conduits. All conduits shall be placed along the inside corners of building surfaces as much as possible, such as along gallery/balcony at the deck line, and painted to match the adjacent surfaces. In response to violation 19-01852-VIONO.

New Long Term Garage at the Airport:

Short term garage

New Science and MAth Magnet School:

Four Seasons New Orleans Development Team
March 22 at 5:04 PM ·
Quitting time. #TheVieux #FourSeasonsNOLA

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 10:47 PM
-

ST CLAUDE FRESH MARKET 5330 ST CLAUDE AVE NEW ORLEANS LA Orleans B.36.0090012727-BL B.BL - CLASS B BEER AND LIQUOR 3690012727 PENDING 03/26/2019

djsnola
FOLSE MARKET 1 TERMINAL DR KENNER LA Jefferson AR.26.0000016012-BL AR.BL - CLASS A RESTAURANT BEER AND LIQUOR 2600016012 PENDING 03/25/2019

HERITAGE 1 TERMINAL DR KENNER LA Jefferson AG.26.0000000040-BW AG.BW - AG-BW: CLASS A GENERAL BEER AND WINE 2600000040 PENDING 03/25/2019

SAZERAC 1 TERMINAL DR KENNER LA Jefferson AG.26.0000115028-BL AG.BL - CLASS A GENERAL BEER AND LIQUOR 2600115028 PENDING 03/25/2019

MO PHO1 TERMINAL DRKENNERLAJeffersonAR.26.0000016011-BLAR.BL - CLASS A RESTAURANT BEER AND LIQUOR2600016011PENDING03/25/2019

Property Disposition · Project #19-0489 · Ref Code:0KNNMU
Download (3) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Property Disposition
Applicant:
NEW ORLEANS EVENT & FILM STUDIOS
Draft Application
Date Filed:
3/26/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Consideration of the sale of a portion of Newton Street bounded by Brooklyn Street and the Mississippi River Levee, between Squares 153 and 184 in the in the 5th Municipal District to an adjacent property owner subject to requirement that the buyer fund and complete the relocation of the Newton Street Ramp Levee Access to Homer Street by agreement with the Orleans Levee District and Army Corps of Engineers;

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 4:39 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnolae16 View Post
I don't think they had much freedom in the design. They originally approved a very modern building that was mostly metal panels, but the city ultimately created a panel of architects to help design the final product with the building architect and HDLC.

What is going up now is the product of that committee. It looks like the panels are almost finished on the lower section along Iberville.
I think you're confused (unless you have some insider knowledge). As far as I know, the Hard Rock is basically the same design that Kailas proposed for 1031 Canal eight years ago. I mean, there was a very early version that looked a little different, but that would have been equally bad. The only change is adding the Hard Rock flag. Hard Rock did consider a glassy tower next to Piazza D'Italia, but ended up going into Kailas' project instead.

Also, HDLC consultation isn't an excuse. It's definitely a pain in the ass as a developer, but it has produced great results at other sites like the Ace Hotel, The Julia, or even the Kalorama - not my cup of tea but reasonably well done historic style architecture.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 12:40 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I think you're confused (unless you have some insider knowledge). As far as I know, the Hard Rock is basically the same design that Kailas proposed for 1031 Canal eight years ago. I mean, there was a very early version that looked a little different, but that would have been equally bad. The only change is adding the Hard Rock flag. Hard Rock did consider a glassy tower next to Piazza D'Italia, but ended up going into Kailas' project instead.

Also, HDLC consultation isn't an excuse. It's definitely a pain in the ass as a developer, but it has produced great results at other sites like the Ace Hotel, The Julia, or even the Kalorama - not my cup of tea but reasonably well done historic style architecture.
The Hard Rock is just 1031 Design there were different iterations proposed orginally before that and then the woolworth tower way before that. While i dont think the building will win any awards I cant agree with calling it ugly. But everyone can of course make their own judgement on it... but sometimes its simply a result of the taste level of the owner or developer. lol all in all i guess im just happy to see something there that can harmlessly activate that corner.

I mean im glad we didnt end up with this

this wasnt as bad but i still think a dated look

now the woolworth tower would have been a beautiful structure but the height would have never been allowed right there

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations