HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 10:24 PM

Waterford River

From the Telegram for June 5, 2014:

Quote:
The watershed for the Waterford is more stressed every single year — and with major developers still using the cheaper “strip-off-every-piece-of-natural-groundcover” method of subdivision and industrial park construction, we can look forward to even more flood loading on our rivers and wastewater infrastructure.
The risk of flooding is one of many reasons I disapprove of new developments in the Southlands and the Leary's Brook watershed. Trees can hold a lot more water than grass or asphalt, and I've found new construction in Kenmount Terrace, Kelsey Drive, and Stavanger Drive to be a nightmare of parking lots and wide streets, with minimal vegetation. I haven't been given any reason to expect that Galway would be wildly different. We should all live in terror of the day when development is permitted above the 190 m contour, where shallow bedrock is more likely to exacerbate the increase in runoff. I know enough about hydrology to have approximately zero confidence in the ability of my fellow engineers to design storm-water retention that works as well as the existing, natural vegetation.

It's radical, but I suggest the City of St. John's should limit all future construction to the area north of Pitts Memorial Drive, at least until the Goulds gets a proper sewer system. There are lots of underused commercial and institutional sites within the existing built-up area that could be redeveloped. Pippy Park and the Windsor Lake watershed provide a northern limit to sprawl, and development in Paradise and CBS, unlike development in the Southlands, won't cause any increase in runoff to rivers in St. John's.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's