HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Retail Talk & Share
Nothing screams more "american retail chain trying to make headway into Canada" like adding a maple leaf to your logo.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 12:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Indeed, but it's still better than a star!!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 1:36 PM

I dislike it as well. I think it's tacky and not really truthful to add a maple leaf and make us think it's Canadian when it's not. Just don't add anything. Same thing at McDonald's, putting a maple leaf on the Golden Arches doesn't make it more Canadian or less American, there is nothing more American than McDonalds...

I like McDonald's BTW (they are a leader in the industry), but foreign companies adding a maple leaf irritates me. When you're not, you're not.

This issue was somewhat brought up by Rona recently.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Dec 20, 2019 at 3:02 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 1:58 PM

Meh, it doesn't really bother me in the end. For marketing I'm sure the PR folk are trying to tap into the Canadian Patriotism market (which is surprisingly powerful all things considered).

But to me, it's just a subtle indicator for if I'm dealing with the Canadian branch of a corp or the US/international branch of it (which is valid mainly in commercials since US stores often have different products than the Canadian versions).

Really in the end I barely notice it unless someone's really pointing it out to me.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Meh, it doesn't really bother me in the end. For marketing I'm sure the PR folk are trying to tap into the Canadian Patriotism market (which is surprisingly powerful all things considered).

But to me, it's just a subtle indicator for if I'm dealing with the Canadian branch of a corp or the US/international branch of it (which is valid mainly in commercials since US stores often have different products than the Canadian versions).

Really in the end I barely notice it unless someone's really pointing it out to me.
I believe it's because they want to promote the use of Canadian goods. McDonalds for instance uses Canadian eggs and Canadian cheese. I know there is a controversy about the beef coming from Brazil but if these American companies want to move here and employ Canadians and have Canadian contractors build it, use Canadian goods I'm all for it.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 5:17 PM

It appears the second development for the Mapleton Centre is being scrapped. Coming to GoodLife today I noticed a big for sale sign for 25acres right beside the falling down sign for the development behind Moxi’s

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTom View Post
It appears the second development for the Mapleton Centre is being scrapped. Coming to GoodLife today I noticed a big for sale sign for 25acres right beside the falling down sign for the development behind Moxi’s
I don't know that there's been a plan there for a couple of years... Shannex building a multi level care complex was the intention but they backed out a while back unfortunately to concentrate on their other English allowed developments like Miramichi.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 5:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
I don't know that there's been a plan there for a couple of years... Shannex building a multi level care complex was the intention but they backed out a while back unfortunately to concentrate on their other English allowed developments like Miramichi.
This whole section of the Vision Lands was up for major redevelopment, but it was a house of cards predicated on the new Costco being built on land in behind the Day & Ross property. Cordova wanted to buy this land and christen it "Mapleton Crossing Phase 2". It would have been anchored by the new Costco.

This image below shows what the road network would have looked like:

You can also see the footprint of the proposed Costco as well, towards the centre-right of the image.

The road network was quite extensive, and would have extended that little stub of LJR Blvd at the entrance to the Mapleton Centre, including, importantly, a short (but expensive) bridge across Hall's Creek just to the east of the entrance into the Mapleton Centre. This would have allowed access to the proposed Shannex Development, with the cost shared by the city and proponents (including Cordova).

Unfortunately, when Costco chose to locate at the Granite Centre instead, Cordova (understandably) bowed out, which removed their financial contribution to the expanded road network (including the bridge), which meant that Shannex would have been on the hook for the major part of the cost of the LJR extension and the bridge. I believe this is the reason why this project never happened.

This was a major lost opportunity. The opening of this section of the Vision Lands would have included a major retail area and a major seniors complex (including 12 storey towers) as anchors. Unfortunately it was not to be.........

Proposed Shannex development, phases 1 ,2 & 3. This is rotated 90 degrees WRT the schematic above

Phases 4 & 5 of the Shannex development would have included two mixed use 12 storey seniors apartment buildings on the north side of LJR Blvd, bounding either side of the roadway planned to connect through in behind the Four Points Hotel to Lady Ada Blvd

The Shannex development, and the proposed Mapleton Crossing phase 2 would have provided two major anchors to the development of the western portion of the vision lands, and would have undoubtedly spurred additional retail, commercial and residential development. Instead, this area is in a bit of the doldrums in terms of future development. It seems very likely that Kent will build an expanded home improvements store on the former Day & Ross site (a relocation from Wheeler Park), but Kent does not have the drawing power of Costco, and likely will not spur additional development like Costco would have,

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 1:15 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Proposal for a new four storey apartment building located in that cluster of apartment buildings off of Ivy Road, in behind the Marsh trailer park behind the ANBL on Mountain Road.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 1:20 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Request for variance to, in part, allow for a new street to be built off of Mapleton Road, opposite Cabela's Court.

The street, rather unimaginatively, is to be called Moncton Street. The request for this variance comes from JDI, and will allow better access to their recent land acquisitions here, including the Day & Ross site. Speculation is that JDI plans to build a larger and spiffier Kent store here, with clear visibility from the TCH. Presuming this happens, it would be logical to assume that the current Kent store in Wheeler Park will be abandoned.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Request for variance to, in part, allow for a new street to be built off of Mapleton Road, opposite Cabela's Court.

The street, rather unimaginatively, is to be called Moncton Street. The request for this variance comes from JDI, and will allow better access to their recent land acquisitions here, including the Day & Ross site. Speculation is that JDI plans to build a larger and spiffier Kent store here, with clear visibility from the TCH. Presuming this happens, it would be logical to assume that the current Kent store in Wheeler Park will be abandoned.
It seems to be just a slight realignment of the existing road, to straighten the curve a bit. They are probably widening it as well.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 12:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrhardt View Post
It seems to be just a slight realignment of the existing road, to straighten the curve a bit. They are probably widening it as well.
I agree.

What's there now is more of a driveway than a street. I think that JDI just wants to formalize things, and make improvements (widening and curbing etc).

The alignment pretty much indicates that whatever JDI wants to build there will end up facing northward, towards the TCH. This would make sense if in fact the plan is to relocate Kent to this property.

The Kent rumour, although well established, remains just a rumour. There has been no formal confirmation that this is in fact the plan.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 4:59 PM

With all this new real estate on Mapleton road they should really look at the exit problem off of the Trans Canada.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitites View Post
With all this new real estate on Mapleton road they should really look at the exit problem off of the Trans Canada.
I feel bad going out Mapleton and turning west onto the TCH, seeing all those cars waiting for a small gap so they can turn south onto Mapleton.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2go View Post
I feel bad going out Mapleton and turning west onto the TCH, seeing all those cars waiting for a small gap so they can turn south onto Mapleton.
There had been talk about a roundabout there but I think they abandoned that because of the NIMBYS

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2go View Post
Not only this, but you'd be amazed at the number of cars exiting the Trans Canada on Mapleton during rush hour that simply turn right (north), enter the hotel parking lot for a quick u-turn and then head south on Mapleton.

The city seriously need to act on that intersection. The exit ramp packs up pretty quick and fills all the way into the highway on a regular basis.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 8:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I'm surprised the hotel hasn't complained to the city about this.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 1:04 AM

I've noticed the hotel U=turn trick.
Also, now some cars are passing the line and simply cutting left in front of the other 50 or so cars waiting in line, cutting off the car at the front of the line.
I weep for the future of humanity.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
I've noticed the hotel U=turn trick.
Also, now some cars are passing the line and simply cutting left in front of the other 50 or so cars waiting in line, cutting off the car at the front of the line.
I weep for the future of humanity.
I've noticed this in other places around town... is that a new thing? You have super aggressive drivers jumping the line and just cutting in traffic where the more careful driver stays in place holding up the line. Considering Moncton has about 0.1 actual traffic cop at any given time I don't expect these drivers ever face any consequences.

For the Mapleton area to ever continue with any kind of development I'm of the opinion that a round about is needed...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 12:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The structural steel for this small commercial/retail building in behind the RBC on the NE corner of Mountain/Gorge is going up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces