HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 7:42 PM

We're talking about some "really... old infrastructure" ie: Watermains in this area. Come to think of it, Winnipeg. Any idea on the actual date we may be talking about for sewers,watermains etc in the area?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
We're talking about some "really... old infrastructure" ie: Watermains in this area. Come to think of it, Winnipeg. Any idea on the actual date we may be talking about for sewers,watermains etc in the area?
It was the building's watermain, not one from the city. From 2009.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
It was the building's watermain, not one from the city. From 2009.
Thanks for the clarification. 2009 is relatively recent.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 7:30 PM

How does the Roof top terrace at Ashdown look? Seems like a nice addition, view, any photos? Especially nice for those that own and the added bump to thier condos value?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
How does the Roof top terrace at Ashdown look? Seems like a nice addition, view, any photos? Especially nice for those that own and the added bump to thier condos value?
There's some pics on page 6 of this thread. Looks pretty sharp! District Condo's 132 James is going to have a roof top terrace also - great idea to put it while developing the building. Will be a nice touch.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
There's some pics on page 6 of this thread. Looks pretty sharp! District Condo's 132 James is going to have a roof top terrace also - great idea to put it while developing the building. Will be a nice touch.
So true, lol..I actually posted a comment after the pics of the terrace were posted???
They do look great, as I posted last time,very sharp, clean great view. 132? Great news, I love the concept of a roof top terrace, more so in heritage buildings than all others. I posted becuase of the value increase in the units and the WFP article that day.Thx for the info.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 3:52 PM

I spent some time on Saturday in the East Exchange with my wife. We walked through the Stephen Juba park (maybe my favourite spot in Winnipeg), wandered around for a bit, looked at some condos. Every single time we go to the Exchange - East or West - I want to live there more, sadly because my wife works at 111 Lombard so we parked there and started walking. I say 'sadly' because walking down Waterfront starting with the Ship Street Village really gave us an unattainable mental image of places we can't afford but couldn't stop comparing other more affordable condos to.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 4:04 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

try looking on princess?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
try looking on princess?
I do like some of the places on Princess. In a lot of ways I slightly prefer the West Exchange spots, but the parks and the river make the EE extremely interesting. Definitely keeping my eye on the James stuff, or anything close to Market Ave (my favourite random little street).

Certainly WE seems more affordable in general, and it would be a bit closer walking to work for me. Honestly though, and I hate admitting this, but when we start seriously looking at our options we'll need to take parking into account too. If we both are within walking distance of work there's not a driving commute to worry about and that makes parking a bit easier in general, but it's still a factor. If I have to walk a half block every time I want to drive somewhere it better be enclosed parking if not indoor.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 5:11 PM

The parking thing will never go away. Even if people work and live downtown, they still want to get out of the downtown. Say like going to Grand Beach, Thunder Rapids, etc. People still need cars.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calder View Post
I do like some of the places on Princess. In a lot of ways I slightly prefer the West Exchange spots, but the parks and the river make the EE extremely interesting. Definitely keeping my eye on the James stuff, or anything close to Market Ave (my favourite random little street).

Certainly WE seems more affordable in general, and it would be a bit closer walking to work for me. Honestly though, and I hate admitting this, but when we start seriously looking at our options we'll need to take parking into account too. If we both are within walking distance of work there's not a driving commute to worry about and that makes parking a bit easier in general, but it's still a factor. If I have to walk a half block every time I want to drive somewhere it better be enclosed parking if not indoor.
i believe theres still a couple of units at sky 2 available with parking? also, sky 1 always has sales too. theres youcube further down waterfront that has a unit for sale...and that has covered parking. these 2 developments are more "affordable" compared to the others on waterfront. I myself prefer EE as well just cause of the things you mentioned, also, the restaurants, the walk to the forks, provencher, etc. just seems to be more happening at EE. im just curious, but are any of the ship units sold? i have never seen anyone go in/out in any of them. i know theres one unit for sale, which i plan to purchase when i win the lottery... guarantee $1million every week! of course even with that, i can't purchase it, casue the ship unit is going for $1.3mill i think?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 5:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctochico View Post
i believe theres still a couple of units at sky 2 available with parking? also, sky 1 always has sales too. theres youcube further down waterfront that has a unit for sale...and that has covered parking. these 2 developments are more "affordable" compared to the others on waterfront. I myself prefer EE as well just cause of the things you mentioned, also, the restaurants, the walk to the forks, provencher, etc. just seems to be more happening at EE. im just curious, but are any of the ship units sold? i have never seen anyone go in/out in any of them. i know theres one unit for sale, which i plan to purchase when i win the lottery... guarantee $1million every week! of course even with that, i can't purchase it, casue the ship unit is going for $1.3mill i think?
that property sold a few weeks ago. MLS addict aha

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
shhhh!

looks like im not the only one...

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 5:30 PM

Is this the one you speak of, Ship Street Village?

http://www.streetside.ca/view-condo-...m?projectID=16

Says built in 2005 and they are sold out.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 5:50 PM

Quote:
LOL yeah looking at that listing (assuming I was looking at the same thing a few weeks back, one of the units was listed somewhere with a whole bunch of pics) was almost painful, it was so incredibly nice. The stairs! The multiple little balconies! The insanely cool kitchen! That knee-buckling list price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Is this the one you speak of, Ship Street Village?

http://www.streetside.ca/view-condo-...m?projectID=16

Says built in 2005 and they are sold out.
Yeah, Ship Street Village is what we're talking about. One of the units was on the market recently, and needless to say it was impressive. My wife joked that we couldn't live there because I would do nothing but sit on the terrace and stare over the park at the river. That view must be wonderful... yeah if *we* win 6/49 that's where we will be - I'll invite everyone from the forum to come down so we can argue about various downtown building proposals over a beer.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 5:44 PM

From the Canadian Thread.

Quote:
Mere Hotel in Winnipeg's Exchange District:

from https://twitter.com/brent_bellamy

what it's going to look like:

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 8:37 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i would rather buy a whole building and make it into a project that either makes me money or breaks even. that i have my own pad in
Quote:
Originally Posted by calder View Post
LOL yeah looking at that listing (assuming I was looking at the same thing a few weeks back, one of the units was listed somewhere with a whole bunch of pics) was almost painful, it was so incredibly nice. The stairs! The multiple little balconies! The insanely cool kitchen! That knee-buckling list price!

Yeah, Ship Street Village is what we're talking about. One of the units was on the market recently, and needless to say it was impressive. My wife joked that we couldn't live there because I would do nothing but sit on the terrace and stare over the park at the river. That view must be wonderful... yeah if *we* win 6/49 that's where we will be - I'll invite everyone from the forum to come down so we can argue about various downtown building proposals over a beer.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 6:07 PM

Took a walk by the Mere on Waterfront today, and the almost-finished product is looking very impressive. Even though the building is rather simple - basically take the simple shell that you would use for a Trans-Canada roadside Motel 6, paint it black and mount a series of colourful tubes on the exterior - the end is result is spectacular and will photograph beautifully. I can already see it on the cover of a future edition of enRoute magazine under the headline Canada's Top Spa Retreats or some such.

It's also nice to see some of the Waterfront Drive storefronts start to fill up too. Sky Condos are a problem in that regard, but at least there's movement in general.

The rest of the East Exchange north of Market (ExNoMa?) is probably changing faster than any other part of downtown Winnipeg. What 15 years ago was a desolate wasteland appears to be well on its way to becoming an actual neighbourhood. Surface lots are getting filled in, new buildings are going up and a lot of vacant or underused old buildings are getting makeovers. It's to the point where you can't really find any non-renovated warehouse buildings in the area - a sharp contrast from the 90s when renovated buildings were the exception, not the rule.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 7:26 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's also nice to see some of the Waterfront Drive storefronts start to fill up too. Sky Condos are a problem in that regard, but at least there's movement in general.
If I recall correct all 3 commercial condos at the base of Sky are purchased... Why is this a problem? Or is it a problem that they have residential units on the main floor?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
If I recall correct all 3 commercial condos at the base of Sky are purchased... Why is this a problem? Or is it a problem that they have residential units on the main floor?
Ya, all are purchased. One is an architect, one is a place that doesn't advertise and keeps their blinds closed (my guess has always been a sports agent) and one is an Aviva insurance agent (or appears to be - they are the newest).

Perhaps the 'problem' is that they aren't retail? They don't really add much 'life'.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan