HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 5:41 PM

In a totally unexpected move, residents of The Willows are already opposing the Scandvik Nordic Spa development:
https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/this-sh...tion-1.5319435

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask.ks View Post
In a totally unexpected move, residents of The Willows are already opposing the Scandvik Nordic Spa development:
https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/this-sh...tion-1.5319435
Too funny. It's such a tragedy when even living on a damn golf course doesn't provide quite enough peace and quiet. I'm going to call this a "Princess and the Pea" mentality.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roquentin View Post
Too funny. It's such a tragedy when even living on a damn golf course doesn't provide quite enough peace and quiet. I'm going to call this a "Princess and the Pea" mentality.
Right! Of all the neighbourhoods in Saskatoon, The Willows is probably the best suited for a wellness hotel/spa/resort development of this type. There’s a high-end golf course and clubhouse, high potential for snow shoe/cross country ski trails in the winter, and plenty of park space/natural beauty. To me, that sounds like the perfect combination of amenities and activities for this Nordic Spa proposal.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 1:44 AM

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 2:33 AM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roquentin View Post
I don't understand concerns about traffic. Do residents think there will be some sort of rush hour crush to get to the spa on Friday afternoon? Besides, if you live in a neighbourhood where the closest commercial zoning is across a railroad, I would think you like sitting in your car and waiting in traffic.

I doubt residents would notice any change in traffic volumes or any other additional disturbances. Why people feel the need to say no simply to say no is beyond me...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 3:46 PM

There is an opportunity to provide feedback on Willows Project. (see link below)
I would encourage participation!!! We all know that feedback tends to lean on the negatie side, so if you support this, which would allow for Nordic Spa, please send in your opinion!

Of course you can also let your city councilor know as well.

https://www.saskatoon.ca/engage/will...plan-amendment

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
That is so cool!!!! That sign is visible from many vantage points in Saskatoon and once it is "re-lit", it will be come a landmark sign once again! Great news.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 8:02 PM

In fairness to the Willows residents opposed to the Spa, I think it's a case of the developer (Dream) changing the development from what they'd originally signed up for - That being a purely residential development with no commercial businesses in it other than the golf course. When you sign a contract (buying a house) with someone, you expect them to live up to the conditions of that contract (a residential development). I don't know for a fact that those were the original conditions, but if they were, then the current residents have every right to be upset. I guess it's really no different than the City re-zoning a single family residential area to permit multi-family or commercial development anywhere else in the city. But my guess is that since this was a "private" development, buyers thought they would be insulated from that sort of thing.

Personally, I can't see there being a tremendous increase in traffic. As for the residents having to wat for trains, I'd think that most of them would do the same as I do if there's a train crossing Lorne Avenue - Take Cartwright through the Willows and use the Clarence Avenue to pass over the train.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 5:32 AM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
As for the residents having to wat for trains, I'd think that most of them would do the same as I do if there's a train crossing Lorne Avenue - Take Cartwright through the Willows and use the Clarence Avenue to pass over the train.
I wasn't referring to waiting for trains, rather that you need to enjoy spending a lot of time driving since there are zero walkable destinations living in The Willows. I realize that wasn't especially clear though.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
I wasn't referring to waiting for trains, rather that you need to enjoy spending a lot of time driving since there are zero walkable destinations living in The Willows. I realize that wasn't especially clear though.
Gotcha. Mayor Clark says he's not getting involved...

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...-clark-says-no

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 4:42 PM

Pretty offside for an MLA to wade into the process like that. She needs to just let the city's process play out.

Between this and the Premier threats against Regina City Council I worry about what's next...

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 7:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Pretty offside for an MLA to wade into the process like that. She needs to just let the city's process play out.

Between this and the Premier threats against Regina City Council I worry about what's next...
The Sask Party is looking more and more authoritarian and “Trumpist” lately. We are in for some interesting times as Regina and Saskatoon continues to become more progressive while the rest of the province goes further right.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
The Sask Party is looking more and more authoritarian and “Trumpist” lately. We are in for some interesting times as Regina and Saskatoon continues to become more progressive while the rest of the province goes further right.
Man....that is EXACTLY what I thought when I read about her 'interference'. I was shocked!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 8:42 PM

Looks like Main Street is set for even more residential projects in the coming years (jump to page 13 of the PDF below):

https://pub-saskatoon.escribemeeting...umentId=130580

15 (!) storeys and nearly 60 m in height! I can't wait to see real renderings. I just hope it's more visually appealing than Baydo's 880 Broadway project.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sask.ks View Post
Looks like Main Street is set for even more residential projects in the coming years (jump to page 13 of the PDF below):

https://pub-saskatoon.escribemeeting...umentId=130580

15 (!) storeys and nearly 60 m in height! I can't wait to see real renderings. I just hope it's more visually appealing than Baydo's 880 Broadway project.
Whoa. Good find. This is the northwest corner of Dufferin & Main. Broadway is getting some real density -- exciting!

Kindrachuk-Agrey Architecture is on the drawings and they're pretty good. I don't think an architect touched Baydo's 880 Broadway.

Some screen grabs:

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Whoa. Good find. This is the northwest corner of Dufferin & Main. Broadway is getting some real density -- exciting!

Kindrachuk-Agrey Architecture is on the drawings and they're pretty good. I don't think an architect touched Baydo's 880 Broadway.
Lol. yeah. definately not on those 25th street monsters.

That being said, the overall shape looks pretty much the same to me as 880 Broadway. So unless they do something cool with the outside or the inside... idk, I dont think it will be anything to be too excited about.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 11:18 PM

Exciting! Hopefully there’s planned investment in the schools on Broadway with some of the largest investments in the province coming with these builds and so many new incoming residents with young kids... . probably not though lol

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 5:55 AM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Exciting! Hopefully there’s planned investment in the schools on Broadway with some of the largest investments in the province coming with these builds and so many new incoming residents with young kids... . probably not though lol
Imagine if the school division bought the Albert Community Centre from the City and opened it back up as a school... if the area between Broadway and Cumberland north of 8th keeps seeing population increase over the next years maybe that won't sound like such an outlandish idea in 2035. Hopefully that building gets renovated and preserved in any case though! What's the state of that building these days, anyway?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 4:13 PM

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...ions_top_pages

Interesting article about that proposed 15 storey tower.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 4:29 PM

Yah....but get ready for the community opposition to density in their neighborhood. This is only a few blocks from where I live and I am totally in favour!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan