HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 12:28 AM

Trails like Katy Trail in Dallas??

What are the cool trails similar to the Katy Trail in Dallas?

Houston - Buffalo Bayou? Memorial Park?

Austin - Boardwalk?

Atlanta - Boardwalk (not SW i know)

What else is compatible? I posted something like this in the Southeast thread and the Birmingham people didn't like it when I shut them down because nothing compares there, and I'm from there. They're (we're) very protective apparently.

Anyway, I just loved how the Katy Trail was so popular and social. You can walk/ride/run in a pretty urban and safe environment. I want to visit other cities and want to check out these types of things.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofalltrades View Post

Austin - Boardwalk?

What else is compatible? I posted something like this in the Southeast thread and the Birmingham people didn't like it when I shut them down because nothing compares there, and I'm from there. They're (we're) very protective apparently.

Anyway, I just loved how the Katy Trail was so popular and social. You can walk/ride/run in a pretty urban and safe environment. I want to visit other cities and want to check out these types of things.
What are you looking for in a trail? We have endless mountain trails but you’d better do those in the morning before it gets warm. If you want mountains, deserts and long unobstructed views there’s are too many to list here, endless hiding and trails.

If you want something like “Katy trail” which I guess is basically a bike path with trees? Idk go up Central from Missourie north to when the trees stop, like 4 miles maybe? Less?

Or you can try Indian bend wash or the area around Tempe town lake

Mountain trail- echo canyon camelback:

North central ave:

Indian bend wash:

Tempe town lake:

Theee are also hundreds of miles of canals but I personally don’t know which ones are nice for walking, except for the one in Arcadia maybe

Last edited by Obadno; Apr 20, 2018 at 2:08 AM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:02 AM

Quote:

Austin - Boardwalk?

Never been on Katy Trail, but from what I browsed, sounds like Indian Bend Wash mentioned by Obadno might be the nearest equivalent in the Phoenix area, especially if what you like about Katy trial is that there are a lot of people around. Indian Bend Wash is about 3x longer than Katy Trail and in addition to running/biking has a lot of other outdoor activities.

http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/parks/greenbelt

There's probably 50 miles of paved bike/pedestrian trails along the canals in Phoenix metro. They're generally nice and enjoyable, but in most places (at least in my experience) not really a social event.

https://www.srpnet.com/water/canals/distances.aspx

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 11:27 PM

Great information. I agree on the suggestions above. I love the rocky hikes but I think the Indian Bend looks most similar.

One thing to mention is that while the Katy Trail is only 4 miles long I think, it connects to the White Rock trail which goes an extra 20 or so.

My friend in Dallas, has a road bike and says he never has to get on a road hardly and can ride 20+ miles pretty easily on paved paths. I know that the Katy Trail is part of that ride.

He said one of the things he loves the most about Dallas is the numerous 10 mile+ paths that he can ride because he doesn't want to ride on the roads... Something that no cyclist should do in my opinion!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 6:34 PM

There's The Loop in Tucson - 120 miles of mostly separated bike, pedestrian and equestrian trails circling the city.

Photos: The Loop Facebook Page

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 8:39 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Great information. I agree on the suggestions above. I love the rocky hikes but I think the Indian Bend looks most similar.

One thing to mention is that while the Katy Trail is only 4 miles long I think, it connects to the White Rock trail which goes an extra 20 or so.

My friend in Dallas, has a road bike and says he never has to get on a road hardly and can ride 20+ miles pretty easily on paved paths. I know that the Katy Trail is part of that ride.

He said one of the things he loves the most about Dallas is the numerous 10 mile+ paths that he can ride because he doesn't want to ride on the roads... Something that no cyclist should do in my opinion!
I've done nearly 50 mile rides on multi-use paths with only a few street crossings here and there. You can easily connect the Crosscut Canal Path out of Papago Park to Arizona Canal to Indian Bend Wash, down to Tempe Town lake. There's a couple of other connecting paths here and there that will take you to Northern Scottsdale along Shea and further.

Also, there is the Western Canal Path which is roughly 10 miles 1 way and it connects to Kiwanis Park. You can also get to a couple other paths off of this which will take you though Downtown Gilbert, a nice Riparian Preserve in Gilbert and a couple of other canal paths in the East Valley.

There's also the Rio Salado Path which runs along the Salt River roughly from Sky Harbor to 19th Ave. They are close to expanding this to connect with the Tempe Town Lake path which I cannot wait for.

There's lots of other paths I can name. But the best way is to grab the MAG map at https://geo.azmag.gov/maps/bikemap/. It's a little slow on mobile phones.

Happy trailing!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest