HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 6:46 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
If it weren't the capital it probably wouldn't exsist... or at least be significantly smaller. Perhaps it would be more similar in size to Melfort than Saskatoon.
If Moose Jaw had not been settled as the province's major railway yard, then it would probably not exist. If Saskatoon had not been selected as home to the provincial university, than its significance would likely be much lower, if Prince Alberta had not been granted the jails then it would be but a speck on the map...so what exactly is your point? Every village, town or city has a function. If you were to change that function than the place itself would be completely different.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
Take a look at downtown Saskatoon, you'll find plenty of crown/government buildings. In fact, you'll probably find that Regina and Saskatoon have roughly the same amount of Public jobs downtown

I don't understand why you constantly pick on Regina, but pretend as if Saskatoon and Winnipeg are some sort of private sector paradise. They're not. Winnipeg is a little better off, simply because its larger, but face it, we're all a bunch of communists until the NDP are out of power.

Edit: yeah, what BrannyMuffin said
I don't think anybody is trying to pick on Regina. Its just that newflyer and others in this discussion find it incredible that some people in this thread (particularly those who hail from Regina) continue to deny, deny, deny that the provincial government is a major employer in Regina, more so than in Saskatoon, or anywhere else in Saskatchewan. We're also astounded by many people's stubbornness to accept that the provincial government is a major tenant in downtown Regina (a sizeable tenant in Stoon as well im sure, but on a much smaller scale).

Regina being a government town is NOT a bad thing.
The fact that the government is a major tenant in downtown Regina is NOT a bad thing.
Come on guys, be happy with your shiny glass towers, but also come to terms with who's filling the cubicles inside them because its true, jobs are jobs.

I hate to say this, but it seems like every time a not so rosey picture of Regina is painted the defenses go up and the denials fly by many (Although the same can be said of many proud and defensive of their city)

But we're not painting an un-rosey picture of Regina here, we're just taking a look at reality.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 6:53 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Whaaaaaaaaaat?

I said countless times that Regina is a government city. If I was defending anything it was the fact that certain people were slagging government jobs. SInce when is being employed in the public sector a negative?

As said, jobs are jobs. I'll take government jobs anyday of the week.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
haha I think you're right, I just looked at a few other cities, and I have trouble believing that SaskTel and IPSCO are among the largest employers in Halifax, NS

It seems the people who made that list just did Regina and coppied it into every other city. And I don't think Regina's is even right. Where's Brandt? They employ nearly 1000 people in Regina. And Pioneer Village? how did that make it on the list?
lol when did SaskTel start outsourcing jobs to Halifax? lmao

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Whaaaaaaaaaat?

I said countless times that Regina is a government city. If I was defending anything it was the fact that certain people were slagging government jobs. SInce when is being employed in the public sector a negative?

As said, jobs are jobs. I'll take government jobs anyday of the week.
Don't think I was speaking directly to you. The post was aimed broadly at more than one person that still won't accept what has dominated this discussion... that govt is a large employer and tenant in Regina... blah blah etc.

Last edited by Echoes; Aug 9, 2007 at 7:04 AM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 7:01 PM

Quote:
LOL ...

S: ... but what about all those large government buildings in your downtown.

R: ...

.. like I said Regina easily exceeds 30,000 government workers.

http://www.foundlocally.com/Regina/H...pEmployers.htm

10 of the top 12 employers are government....
And same with Saskatoon. A little selective are we?

Last edited by Chaps; Aug 9, 2007 at 7:43 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASKFTW View Post
Great thread Here's my hostile and supportive opinion.

I drove down to Regina this past March to observe the city myself as I hadn't been there since 1994 and really don't remember much except for visiting the Sears warehouse store???

First impression, passed the large Ipsco plant and images of Edmonton's refineries/heavy industry came to mind. Just an observation.

I continued on to find Downtown Regina, finally at last! Nice modern glass structure's clustered together nicely.

But I almost felt sick, well I was put off because of the large dominant government logos adorning the most prominent structures. Something didn't feel right.

I drove through the core, and then made my way to Wascana Park and the Legislative building. Very nice considering the drab winter setting complete with slushy streets. I wanted to go for a tour but decided against it. Afterwards, I attempted to find the Regina big box development area that received so much criticism, but gave up because I couldn't remember the area (SW or SE, Victoria???).

That trip combined with my knowledge of provincial politics re-affirmed my jealousy of Regina's modern glass structures and disappointment of past government decisions.

We can't go back in time, so my best hope for glass in Saskatoon looks like condo hi-rise, or a Cameco occupied structure with a modern design.

Regina a government city?

Take a look at election results, specifically Regina and Saskatoon. I discovered a noticeable bias towards NDP in Regina ridings.

Saskatoon ridings had their fair share of NDP support, but the difference in votes for the NDP and votes for the Saskatchewan Party had a more competitive ratio: NDP 1,435 vs Sask. Party 1,914.

In Regina, results might look like this: NDP 2,349 vs Sask. Party 1,000. But why such strong support? Job security perhaps? Capital city? Closer to the U.S. border? Home to the Saskatchewan Roughriders?

These observations have been stated again and again. The media and all political parties know this and strive to highlight and respond with necessary action.

In conclusion, Regina will never challenge or surpass Saskatoon as the major center (population) because Regina only has government jobs, the end

Comments and suggestions: A nice city, diversify your economy, ditch the large government logos in the downtown and it might feel a little more welcoming to outsiders, unless they're from Cuba
Yup...those logos on the building just strike fear into the heart of tourists.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 7:55 PM

I think it's safe to say that Regina will always be Edmonton and Saskatoon will always be Calgary.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 7:56 PM

except smaller

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 8:28 PM

does any one think certain parties are bais too certain cities? is this a horrible question? when the election comes, which party will be best for Saskatchewan as a whole.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 1:33 AM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
Yup...those logos on the building just strike fear into the heart of tourists.

I stretched that a little far. By outsiders I meant me. I despise a few of our crown corporation's and the NDP for various reasons so that explains my stance.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASKFTW View Post
I stretched that a little far. By outsiders I meant me. I despise a few of our crown corporation's and the NDP for various reasons so that explains my stance.
Well...in spite of the "logos"...I'm rather have the nice skyline with the logos, than have a 'Toon town looking skyline and no logos.

I don't think the logos are much of an issue for most people. But many people admire the skyline for a city the size of Regina.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 10:10 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4Regina View Post
I think it's safe to say that Regina will always be Edmonton and Saskatoon will always be Calgary.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 11:05 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
Well...in spite of the "logos"...I'm rather have the nice skyline with the logos, than have a 'Toon town looking skyline and no logos.

I don't think the logos are much of an issue for most people. But many people admire the skyline for a city the size of Regina.
Just imagine the skyline Victoria would have if the BC government thought it was responsible to house government workers in highrises.

Alas....it looks good , but does not in anyway reflect the local economy.. its the Grant Devine/Harvard Development mirage.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 11:30 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Regina is like Edmonton and Saskatoon is like Calgary?

IMO Saskatoon is more like a smaller Edmonton, what with the river and the university atmosphere - it's also more liberal and artsy than Regina - much like how according to most people Edmonton is more liberal and artsy than Calgary.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 7:23 PM
Canadian Urbanite

He means economically. Regina and Edmonton have a high number of government jobs while Saskatoon is similar to Calgary in terms of its business atmosphere.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 11:30 PM
Capitalist

It would have been much more ingeneous of the government to develop pyramids.. instead of those glass towers.

Instead of trying to convince people Regina was some type of business centre, as Devine did, they could create an equally outlandish claim that Regina was the centre of achient achitechure. Of course government workers could work inside of the pyramids... while they attracted tourists.

Oh I can hear the slogans now... Pyramids on the Praries.

That would have made Regina very distinct... and not just another small city.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 11:48 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Don't the Regina and Saskatoon city websites each have a list of the city's major employers?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2007, 12:19 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
It would have been much more ingeneous of the government to develop pyramids.. instead of those glass towers.

Instead of trying to convince people Regina was some type of business centre, as Devine did, they could create an equally outlandish claim that Regina was the centre of achient achitechure. Of course government workers could work inside of the pyramids... while they attracted tourists.

Oh I can hear the slogans now... Pyramids on the Praries.

That would have made Regina very distinct... and not just another small city.
This seems to be a very personal issue for you....

Old Posted Aug 12, 2007, 12:38 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
This seems to be a very personal issue for you....
Nah ... just having some fun. I am actually chuckling as I am typing.

How about a giant 50 story statue of a gopher....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan