HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Samsung Considers $10 Billion Texas Chipmaking Plant, Sources Say

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blo...ipmaking-plant
Dear lord we need denser housing....

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Dear lord we need denser housing....
Yep. Like I've said before, they just need to abolish the CVC, as it imposes a totally artificial and arbitrary constraint on density.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 7:13 PM
World Traveler

That's certainly going to solidify the Parmer and 130 corridor for manufacturing even more. Crazy.

Density, yes. I don't think existing CVCs will go away, but I do think new ones shouldn't be added. The exception there would be if they bury or drop I-35 enough to where those CVCs aren't relevant anymore. Either way, other areas beyond DT need to increase in height/density to absorb growth at some point as well.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 9:54 PM

It just keeps getting better!

Applied Materials expanding with 729,000-square-foot warehouse
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...Pos=2#cxrecs_s

This year we'll start seeing record expansions across the Austin area.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
Yep. Like I've said before, they just need to abolish the CVC, as it imposes a totally artificial and arbitrary constraint on density.
CVCs are a drop in the bucket and undoing them isn't going to make a meaningful difference. Any housing DT is going to be upper-market, and you'd be insane to commute from there to Parmer anyway.

Our real density issues are outside of downtown.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 10:56 PM

Totally agree.  Its about density along the main corridors which is allowed under current zoning. The problem is the SFH neighborhoods that start immediately outside downtown with the exception of west campus and east 6th.  I see Sacramento is eliminating all SFH zoning... curious how that will go.  Perhaps something to learn from and point to as an example to follow.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 11:08 PM

Quote:
It just keeps getting better!

Applied Materials expanding with 729,000-square-foot warehouse
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...Pos=2#cxrecs_s

This year we'll start seeing record expansions across the Austin area.
Crazy!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Samsung Considers $10 Billion Texas Chipmaking Plant, Sources Say

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blo...ipmaking-plant
From the article

"The Korean company’s existing Texas facility is too small to to meet increasing orders for outsourced chips coming from Qualcomm, Intel and Tesla, according to research by Citibank. Intel in particular is likely to funnel more orders toward Samsung to offset any reliance on TSMC for its foundry needs, the brokerage said in a report."

We all know about Tesla and a while back Urbancore mentioned Qualcomm possibly relocating their HQ to the ATX. Now things are starting to become a bit clearer with this Samsung news. Could Intel be a possible candidate as well?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 1:26 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I'm gonna be the one to say it i guess but I think we need to consider just how much is occurring in such a short amount of time. I have to wonder if this is too much too quickly. We are at risk of losing what made Austin special in the first place. I just think that while it's exciting to see these news articles, (if this was in the 2000s, I'd be one of the biggest hypes for those who remember me from way back then,) but now, I feel the constraints of property values squeezing us and our long time neighbors. I never thought I'd ever be a NIMBY and I certainly don't consider myself one now, but I can also understand why there is a segment of the population that is NIMBY. I just think we need to be aware that while these companies will bring jobs which is great, there will also be new problems arising. Too much too quickly can be a problem in itself. I just wanted to throw this out there. Rant over..

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I'm gonna be the one to say it i guess but I think we need to consider just how much is occurring in such a short amount of time. I have to wonder if this is too much too quickly. We are at risk of losing what made Austin special in the first place. I just think that while it's exciting to see these news articles, (if this was in the 2000s, I'd be one of the biggest hypes for those who remember me from way back then,) but now, I feel the constraints of property values squeezing us and our long time neighbors. I never thought I'd ever be a NIMBY and I certainly don't consider myself one now, but I can also understand why there is a segment of the population that is NIMBY. I just think we need to be aware that while these companies will bring jobs which is great, there will also be new problems arising. Too much too quickly can be a problem in itself. I just wanted to throw this out there. Rant over..
Austinites have been saying "we are at risk of what made Austin special" for two decades now. The short answer is that cities, much like people, are living things. They grow, they evolve. What makes Austin special today is not what made Austin special back in 2000, and it won't be what makes Austin special in 2040.

In terms of change happening too quickly, as someone who moved here from California, all I can say is that we should feel lucky the state isn't burdened with regulations that make it difficult and expensive to develop. And because we aren't burdened with state-level regulations, I'm confident that the quick growth can be accommodated. There will definitely be growing pains, and winners and losers, but I think the city will adapt.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 5:32 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
Austinites have been saying "we are at risk of what made Austin special" for two decades now. The short answer is that cities, much like people, are living things. They grow, they evolve. What makes Austin special today is not what made Austin special back in 2000, and it won't be what makes Austin special in 2040.

In terms of change happening too quickly, as someone who moved here from California, all I can say is that we should feel lucky the state isn't burdened with regulations that make it difficult and expensive to develop. And because we aren't burdened with state-level regulations, I'm confident that the quick growth can be accommodated. There will definitely be growing pains, and winners and losers, but I think the city will adapt.
I don't want to get too political, but you mention lack of state regulations. I feel that is part of the problem with this state and how it operates. I'm not saying we need California level regulations, but there is a need for certain types of regulations especially regarding the environment. You say cities are like people, they change and I agree... But change can be good or bad. Most of the changes so far have been good overall but some changes have been bad. Just because so far Austin has held its charm over the last 20 plus years, does not mean the city will keep its charm. I just think it's important to not assume that all of what's happening is 100% positive for the city.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 6:04 AM

Quote:
I don't want to get too political, but you mention lack of state regulations. I feel that is part of the problem with this state and how it operates. I'm not saying we need California level regulations, but there is a need for certain types of regulations especially regarding the environment. You say cities are like people, they change and I agree... But change can be good or bad. Most of the changes so far have been good overall but some changes have been bad. Just because so far Austin has held its charm over the last 20 plus years, does not mean the city will keep its charm. I just think it's important to not assume that all of what's happening is 100% positive for the city.
LOL no worries, we're in full agreement.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Good rant, and I'll raise you a lesser one. Anyone who is new to Austin, within the last ten years, they are here because they are attracted to today's Austin. They expect and accept the consequences that come with all this unprecedented growth. The same can be said for those who joined us in the last 20 years. Prior to that, those of us who came here in the 80s and 90s researched and chose Austin from that era. For the newbies who can't imagine hippy, party time Austin as it once was, it was quality of life over skyscraper invasion. It was laid back over corporate incursion. It was affordable over willing to pay more to be here. It was being known for how cool it was over how fast its growing. Its was a plethora of large music venues vs ..., It was a like a semi secret garden vs a worldwide destination and hot spot. It was laid back vs weird vs not so weird.
It was let the majority decide vs let the nimbys decide. It was Rainey vs RAINEY. It was underground parking with stubby buildings vs parking podiums with some stubbys on top. It was baggy jeans vs skinny jeans. It was no talk of infrastructure vs an infrastructure catastrophe. It was cheap property taxes vs some of the highest in the state. It was never thinking of living anywhere else vs considering other options. It was plenty of elbow room and comfortable surroundings vs an onslaught of strangers and urban sprawl. I have chosen and have the ability to stay put. I like the new Austin. I chose the old Austin. The debate and any misunderstanding of old Austin vs today's Austin should be respectful and mindful of those of us who made the decision to move here long ago, long before it became a popular option. Times change, most of you will never know and appreciate the Austin I chose. But I DO know and appreciate the Austin you new comers chose. All are welcome, celebrities, HQs, visitors, relocators. The impact and future impact on my financial well being is what worries me but far less than thousands of life long Austinites have had to endure.

Last edited by the Genral; Jan 23, 2021 at 4:40 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 6:13 PM

Quote:
I feel your pain! Been here 50+ years and paid my fair share of taxes. Hopefully our local leaders will do what's in the best interest of all Austinites.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 8:33 PM

Samsung is playing the incentives game and including other locations in their site selection process.

Quote:
The South Korean company is looking at two locations around Austin, Texas, two locations around Phoenix and a location in Genesee County in New York, sources told The Wall Street Journal.
https://thehill.com/policy/technolog...-us-chip-plant

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Good rant, and I'll raise you a lesser one. Anyone who is new to Austin, within the last ten years, they are here because they are attracted to today's Austin. They expect and accept the consequences that come with all this unprecedented growth. The same can be said for those who joined us in the last 20 years. Prior to that, those of us who came here in the 80s and 90s researched and chose Austin from that era. For the newbies who can't imagine hippy, party time Austin as it once was, it was quality of life over skyscraper invasion. It was laid back over corporate incursion. It was affordable over willing to pay more to be here. It was being known for how cool it was over how fast its growing. Its was a plethora of large music venues vs ..., It was a like a semi secret garden vs a worldwide destination and hot spot. It was laid back vs weird vs not so weird.
It was let the majority decide vs let the nimbys decide. It was Rainey vs RAINEY. It was underground parking with stubby buildings vs parking podiums with some stubbys on top. It was baggy jeans vs skinny jeans. It was no talk of infrastructure vs an infrastructure catastrophe. It was cheap property taxes vs some of the highest in the state. It was never thinking of living anywhere else vs considering other options. It was plenty of elbow room and comfortable surroundings vs an onslaught of strangers and urban sprawl. I have chosen and have the ability to stay put. I like the new Austin. I chose the old Austin. The debate and any misunderstanding of old Austin vs today's Austin should be respectful and mindful of those of us who made the decision to move here long ago, long before it became a popular option. Times change, most of you will never know and appreciate the Austin I chose. But I DO know and appreciate the Austin you new comers chose. All are welcome, celebrities, HQs, visitors, relocators. The impact and future impact on my financial well being is what worries me but far less than thousands of life long Austinites have had to endure.
Excellent rant. About the only thing good I can say regarding this explosive growth and the ongoing destruction of the Austin that once felt cozy and welcoming is the fact that my home (which I own free and clear) has more than doubled in value since I bought it just 9 years ago. This presumably gives me a better financial cushion, if and when I have to go into some kind of care facility. Downtown looks great from a distance, but up close it feels impersonal and devoid of charm. Similarly, the old familiar commercial strips along South Congress, South Lamar, and Burnett Road now take some getting used to, and I am just too set in my ways to bother with it. I finally settled in the Austin area 26 years ago because I wanted to return to my native state of Texas, and I wanted to live in a place that embraced a casual and creative lifestyle. It is all disappearing so quickly now. I don't understand what it is that newcomers find so attractive about the place, but I guess they come here for their own reasons, which are quite different than mine were back in the day. As long as I can pay my RE taxes, I guess I'll be just fine. I'm too old to consider moving someplace else, but I have certainly thought about it the past year or so.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I don't understand what it is that newcomers find so attractive about the place, but I guess they come here for their own reasons, which are quite different than mine were back in the day. As long as I can pay my RE taxes, I guess I'll be just fine. I'm too old to consider moving someplace else, but I have certainly thought about it the past year or so.
The overwhelming majority of people who move to Austin do so because of jobs and/or school. Austin's rocketship growth probably makes them want to hitch a ride on said rocket, and no state income tax is a very attractive prospect as well.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 3:30 AM

Just wondering but do any of you worry about the affordability issues? Do you think it could run into a San Francisco like situation with people fleeing the city to live in distant towns and facing extremely long commutes or no?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
Just wondering but do any of you worry about the affordability issues? Do you think it could run into a San Francisco like situation with people fleeing the city to live in distant towns and facing extremely long commutes or no?
No. We’re not geographically land-locked. We do have policies that artificially raise the cost of housing (i.e. discouraging density), but hopefully those eventually go away.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinaustin View Post
No. We’re not geographically land-locked. We do have policies that artificially raise the cost of housing (i.e. discouraging density), but hopefully those eventually go away.
Not until we raise the profile on a few rich lawyers that are stopping it. Council has to pass land use on 3 votes. They passed it on 2 until Fred Lewis sued and got it stuck in court.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin