HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Best post on this thread and I have nothing to add to it!
Not surprising given the consistent quality of your usually "educated" responses.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post

The WAG Inuit Art Centre is not that. It might draw some tourism, but unlikely anything that increases momentum.

But...

.....I could be very wrong about my perception of Inuit Art's international appeal. I'd love to be wrong about this, and I say that genuinely, not cynically.
So many words eloquently spoken to simply say your not for the funding of this arts/cultural project and the money could/should be spent elsewhere?

You try, with some sucess to placate both sides of the isle with your posts, careful not to offend those that disagree with you while making your opinion sound more plausible in most cases. It's a good quality in posting responses, keeps the discussion flowing at times.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 3:59 PM

Demo has begun.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 4:18 PM

Is plan for it to still look like it does on the first page?

If so I'm happy this is going forward. Will make that corner look pretty cool.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 5:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndWander View Post
Not surprising given the consistent quality of your usually "educated" responses.
Those of you on the left just don't understand where the money to build "feel good" white elephants comes from! Spending $65 million to house manufactured art is just plain goofy!

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 6:44 PM
BANNED

I am torn: I like the idea of this to enhance tourism, to showcase art that (never?) gets the exposure, but at the same time, the $15 million from the feds, and the $5 million from the city could have been a nice incentive to assist some heritage building owners with the cost of either renovating (new windows and an exterior clean for Goodwill on Princess), etc, or redeveloping others (ie: Bay Building). That money could have also gone towards incentives for developing surface lots.

Did the province end up contributing the $15 million previously pledged?

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 6:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I am torn: I like the idea of this to enhance tourism, to showcase art that (never?) gets the exposure, but at the same time, the $15 million from the feds, and the $5 million from the city could have been a nice incentive to assist some heritage building owners with the cost of either renovating (new windows and an exterior clean for Goodwill on Princess), etc, or redeveloping others (ie: Bay Building). That money could have also gone towards incentives for developing surface lots.

Did the province end up contributing the $15 million previously pledged?
What are the numbers for visits to the WAG now? The only really bump in attendance is when they bring in touring exhibits a bunch of carved rocks sadly ain't going to do it. Agree money going to the WAG for the expansion could and should have been better spent where there would have been more bang and where it was more worthwhile!

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Those of you on the left just don't understand where the money to build "feel good" white elephants comes from! Spending $65 million to house manufactured art is just plain goofy!
Um, all art is manufactured. Inuit carvings have been done for thousands of years and yes, they changed and grew that tradition in the 1950s in hopes of generating income by selling their art. Painters and other artists throughout history have done exactly the same thing, adapting their art to whatever suits the nobles of the time so they can sell the art and make a living. And being a more modern tradition doesn't make it any less valuable, it just makes it contemporary.

Also like half of the cost of this project is from private donations. Those people can do what they want with their money and that's none of your business. Government is only spending about $30 million on it so we could build like 6 of these for the costs of that stupid Waverley underpass. $30 million in public money to showcase the world's best collection of Inuit art, or $150 million so a few people in Linden woods can drive to work 5 mins faster? Should be a no-brainer.

Naysayers loved to do the same thing to the CMHR, throwing that $350 million number around as if it was all public money when in reality almost half was private donations from around the country.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 7:38 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the inuit are center has a bunch of people watching our city atm tie it in with the cmhr what mandel at deer almonds doing barcode and the countles other things it begins to add up i duno wpg is making its punch just wish the provincial pc government would wake the hell up and stop the running around with their heads up their asses and get to running the province already.... wtf

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 1:39 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^wtf indeed.

You know we all love ya AJ, but I couldn't make out anything you just said.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 1:58 PM

It's an addition to our national mall, anyway. Making sure Memorial looks great should be a priority for the city and province, instead of something nobody gives a shit about.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
It's an addition to our national mall, anyway. Making sure Memorial looks great should be a priority for the city and province, instead of something nobody gives a shit about.
Speaking of that, is there any kind of long-term plan for the mall? I'm not expecting any kind of NCC-style high end vision, but is there at least some sort of officially adopted idea as to what that stretch of Memorial should end up looking like?

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 2:35 PM
BANNED

Great points to bring up regarding Memorial and its appearance. As with Graham, the Bay building plays a large role. I have not heard anything yet in terms of anything positive that came out of the meeting regarding the building.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Speaking of that, is there any kind of long-term plan for the mall? I'm not expecting any kind of NCC-style high end vision, but is there at least some sort of officially adopted idea as to what that stretch of Memorial should end up looking like?
I doubt it. The province can barely be fucked to maintain the stretch of Memorial it owns (which should also lose a traffic lane, since it's lightly used). A partnership between the city, province, and some of the property owners along the way could quickly and easily improve the mall, since it already boasts a fine selection of stately buildiings. As a bonus, it might push a plan for the Bay and its parkade ahead.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 3:57 PM

I'm curious on what everyone's thoughts are on Memorial Park.

I'm an advocate for downtown parks that are useful, however MP isn't really a park - it's a huge field of grass. I wouldn't mind seeing some of it developed (in the right way), as even when there's events it's severely underutilized.

I wouldn't mind seeing it completely closed off to traffic honestly. Use the eastern side as a two-way, bus-only corridor. Make the other one a pedestrian/bike area that is set up maybe to host markets or vendors in the summer, maybe even small businesses.

Have to think on that idea more, but I don't think anything is lost from removing vehicles - there's almost never anyone on it, and going to Osbrone to go north wouldn't be a big deal.

At the very least, the city royally f*cked up when they redid all of Osborne N and the sidewalks, and didn't put a bike lane in. So maybe put one on Memorial. It also doesn't need to be 4-5 lanes north of St. Mary. It's absurd.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 4:26 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^wtf indeed.

You know we all love ya AJ, but I couldn't make out anything you just said.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 4:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
We're way off topic here, most parks in this city are in terrible shape compared to even ten years ago. Assiniboine Park seems to be the only park the city really cares about. Of course it's hard to maintain stuff in this city when almost half of the budget is going to the WFPS and WPS!

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
So many words eloquently spoken to simply say your not for the funding of this arts/cultural project and the money could/should be spent elsewhere?

You try, with some sucess to placate both sides of the isle with your posts, careful not to offend those that disagree with you while making your opinion sound more plausible in most cases. It's a good quality in posting responses, keeps the discussion flowing at times.
Thanks!

I probably came out too strong.

But while I'm trying to dial it down, my initial opinion is actually softening, albeit it a little. I was/am dismissive of the ability of inuit art to generate not notable, but necessary interest. However, what the shit do I know about that? Not much.

I am also painfully technical in my speech. My wife hates it lol.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 5:34 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
We're way off topic here, most parks in this city are in terrible shape compared to even ten years ago. Assiniboine Park seems to be the only park the city really cares about. Of course it's hard to maintain stuff in this city when almost half of the budget is going to the WFPS and WPS!
12 yrs of tax freez tends to do that

crime is down btw...

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Credit where it's due, they did a nice job on Central Park, but they've generally let things slide. And the City deserves zero credit for Assiniboine Park since that's in the hands of a conservancy group. That really makes me wonder if we wouldn't be better off with the city delegating responsibility for more services and infrastructure to arms length or community organizations.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan